No More M1 For This 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The M1 0w40 did the same as the 10w30 did today. I was hard on the gas today and it ate 1qt of oil in a 100 mi. It only used a 1/4 qt on over 1000 mi of mostly 70+ mph driving. I didn't rev the motor hard in that 1000 mi. On the 70 mi drive home it used no oil.
When I ran the Rotella 15w40 in the mts with the motor working very hard with a full load it never used that much oil at one time.
As winter is comming I don't want to use 15w40 as it gets -30 out.
I can't find Cheveron oil in WI, Cary what do you suggest?

Kurt,

Ship the motor to Taterville and I'll supply the parts...... :flipoff2: D-

Kurt,

Reading your initial post is kinda like automotive haiku(sp?). I cannot figure out which speed/load/viscosity/consumption levels go together. I have found that the only time my 80 uses a minor amount of oil is at highway speeds under load (towing), or at high highway speeds. Could not figure out if this matched or contradicted your experiences, but there you have it.

IdahoDoug

I lost a qt of M1 10w30 in a 100 mi or so strech last spring. And today it did the same but with M1 0w40.
It is not the speed I went but has to do with red lining the motor. The M1 oil does like the high rpm's of my old motor.
Dino oil doesn't mind the high rpm's

So, the M1 oil does like the high rpms, and the dino oil also doesn't mind the high rpms?? Or did you mean the M1 does NOT like...?

At any rate, I'm not sure how two oils at the same rated viscosity would have a different oil consumption rate. To say that difference exists because one is synthetic and one is not would be kind of a stretch. I think you should use an appropriate winter weight such as the owner's manual suggests though go one higher level of operating temp viscosity (last number) in deference to the miles/clearances on the engine.

Also, have you put in a new PCV valve lately? After doing mine a year ago, I can no longer note any oil consumption even at high load/speed (towing at highway speed in the mountains).

IdahoDoug

I'd try Mobile Delvac 15w40...much more refined than Rotella and it flows great in the low temps. In my Dodge (Cummins diesel) I switched from Delo 400 15w40 to the Delvac and the difference in the speed the engine would crank below zero was amazing!

When was the last oil change done prior to this high consumption? I have always heard this same complaint when the oil had not been changed for several months of city driving with the dipstick at normal levels and then one highway trip and it "burns" excessively. This is caused by a bad PVC valve and/or moisture buildup or, gasoline diluted oil that evaporates off during a extented high temp run.

edit...typo fun!

ppc has some logical suggestions there....some I hadn't even considered.

I just run 20w50 in my 3FE and it is happy =)...

of course...now it is getting FREAKIN COLD in Georgia so next change gets my winter oil 10w40 :cheers:

I like feeding my truck dinosaurs....synthetic is for you yuppie 1FZJ owners ;)

The only times I have had rapid oil comsumption is with M1 10w30,0w40 and that was at high rpms.
I had no rapid comsumption at high rpms with dino 10w30 15w40.
In normal driving with both oils the oil use was minor and equal, about 1qt pre 3000mi.
I live in a small town so most driving is at hwy speeds and the oil was changed 9-1-2003 1900 mi ago. The PCV is less than a year old.
I will drive about 200 mi today and will drive with ease to see what happens.

Kurt, before you blame the oil, drive another 100 miles on the highway and see if you lose any more. I don't take long highway runs often. When I do after a long interval I usually lose 1/2-1 qt during the initial 100 miles or so then very little after that. This has happened with dino and M1. I assume it is gasoline/whatever in the oil that burns off

I drove about 200 mi 3/4 hyw (70mph) and the rest city. No oil used. I stayed iff the gas and keep the rpms down.

I need to to have two tanks of oil for the motor. Fill one with M1 for normal driving. Fill the other with dino. When I want to drive hard I could switch to the dino tank :D

You might want to check your PVC system as I had one that litterally drank the oil right through the intake. Also let the truck sit a bit before checking the level to alow it to drain back into the pan so you'll get an accurate reading.

The reason I knew that the oil was low, was the oil light flashed the wife :eek:
I had just checked it that morning and it was 1/8 low

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom