Newbie question on prepping the hood before taking it to a pro for paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Hiya fellas,

Painting is NOT my thing but I can definitely prep the 80 hood before taking it to a local one man paint shop feller for a spray. I don't think I'm too interested in having him blend the hood to the front fenders as there's so little of it next to the hood but wanted your opinion on that.

My hood's clear is starting to show signs of typical UV damage but not as bad as what you see down here in NM. The famous 6M1 green color gets badly damaged here but my Moonglow Pearl is doing much better plus the 80 lives under a carport full time.

When someone blends the hood to the fender, what exactly does he do on the fenders?
What is the lingo I should be using when discussing the paint job with the painter?
What is the typical cost for shooting a hood properly?

As far as prepping the hood, figure I'd just look at some YouTube vids on how to prep a panel before painting. I have electric orbital sanders but not a DA sander and can pick one up if needed. I do have a dual stage IR 60 gal air comp with stupid CFM rating :bounce:

I always heard that factory Toyota paint is the best and anything after that won't be as permanent.

Thanks for your input. If this has been covered, just show me the link pls.

So you taking the hood off the vehicle to him or are you taking whole vehicle to have him spray only the hood?

Lots of videos out there but make sure when you are looking at them you are looking for videos to blend the clear, not blend new paint and clear. He will know what needs to be done past that to properly blend everything. I would invest in the DA Sander (you can pick one up cheap from HF) as it will help.

Cost varies by shop, location, paint brand/type used, etc. So kinda hard to say. You could always take the truck to him and tell him you will do the prep work prior to him shooting the clear if he lets you know what he needs. He may or may not go for that.

I know a number of guys who won't warranty anything they don't prep. The whole job is only as good as the prep work.

Blending is basically adding clear to the paint and fading it out over the existing paint so that you don't see the transition - paint hood 100% new paint as close to original as possible, add xx% clear and spray a pass on fenders, add xx% clear and spray another pass, etc until you can't see the change.

This is good info, thx gents. I'll ask the guy for a quote and get his thoughts.

Ask the painter what’s best. I know I wouldn’t want to spray something without being involved in the prep.

Blending often means fading the base coat on the adjacent panel and then clearing the entire panel.

Definitely find someone to work with and talk to them. If he/she is willing to have you do the prep, they can tell you what to do, how to do it, and what they want to see.

Ask the painter what’s best. I know I wouldn’t want to spray something without being involved in the prep.

Blending often means fading the base coat on the adjacent panel and then clearing the entire panel.

So the blending process involves painting the base coat + clear coat. Do they rough up the adjacent panel before dong this? I'd assume the clear coat at least has to be removed or roughed up on the adjacent panel for the new paint+clear to stick, no?

Thank you gents for the education. That video was very enlightening and freighting for a newb like me.

Wet sanding is key. We prepped my son’s VW and took it to a good body shop, NOT a Macco type place.

We delivered the car sanded and masked for paint and it was sprayed with Sikkens primer and paint. Beautiful job for $500.

Six months later he totaled it.

Blending is as far as the eye can see. For a hood they typically spray the front fenders back to the front door. Depends on the condition of the original paint too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom