Newbie question..Cheaper to repair/maintain?? LC or LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sooo this may sound dumb, but is it cheaper to repair a 100 series since its a toyota than the LX? I realize they are the same but I'm assuming because its a LEXUS that parts/maintence will cost more for the same work/parts that are to be done on a 100 series..

I hope my question is understandable...Forgive my ignorance... But i'm currently looking to purchase either a 100 series or the LX

Thanks guys

They are both “100 series.” You can buy identical parts for 99% of either an LC or an LX from either Toyota or Lexus, but they will be significantly cheaper at Toyota. I have an LX but I buy all of my parts from Toyota. In my experience you can even bring your LX into a Toyota dealer for service. The only exceptions to parts availability as far as I can think of right now would be the keys, certain interior components, and the AHC suspension.

The cost difference becomes more trivial if you replace the AHC suspension with LC suspension when it fails.

They are both “100 series.” You can buy identical parts for 99% of either an LC or an LX from either Toyota or Lexus, but they will be significantly cheaper at Toyota. I have an LX but I buy all of my parts from Toyota. In my experience you can even bring your LX into a Toyota dealer for service. The only exceptions to parts availability as far as I can think of right now would be the keys, certain interior components, and the AHC suspension.

Heres another question...I keep my dog inside the vehicle with the vehicle running to keep it cool for her. Can i lock the doors from the outside with another key while its running? Basically I want to be able to lock my pup inside w/ the a/c running.

Don't underestimate the initial purchase. That is where the "deal" is made. After that there may be small differences in maintenance but the original purchase can negate maintenance costs. My recent purchase of an excellent 2004 LX for $5000 can attest to that fact.

Heres another question...I keep my dog inside the vehicle with the vehicle running to keep it cool for her. Can i lock the doors from the outside with another key while its running? Basically I want to be able to lock my pup inside w/ the a/c running.
I don’t think that would be a problem as long as you had two keys. I have definitely had the car running with the car locked, though I was still inside.

This unless your looking at 06/07 MY LC with AHC then they are the same.
Important to note that AHC was an option on 06-07 LCs but they didn‘t all have it. I‘m sure that’s what you meant but just wanted to clarify.

Don't underestimate the initial purchase. That is where the "deal" is made. After that there may be small differences in maintenance but the original purchase can negate maintenance costs. My recent purchase of an excellent 2004 LX for $5000 can attest to that fact.
That is a killer price. I thought I got a good deal on my 99 LX at $6500, and that was over a year ago. Prices are definitely going up.

That is a killer price.

Yes, I have another $996 in it with new suspension, hood struts, heater T. But still a crazy deal at $5996 for now an immaculate '04 LX. CORRECTION....The taxes were a bit more than I expected so the cost is a hair over $6000.

Last edited:
wanna sell one? I'm near new orleans

Hmmm. Don’t think I do at the moment but never know. I actually thought I would sell the ‘04 LX but my wife likes it too much to sell. I will keep you in mind, however. Thanks

LX is typically cheaper to buy than an LC because less brand recognition. Even though LX has better interior materials, better noise insulation and better door seals. And if you can keep AHC going they have better rider and an instant lift when needed!

And they look better too (completely objective opinion obviously)

yeah I'd say unless you're taking your 15+ yr old SUV to it's respective dealer for service (I hope not) then the maintenance cost is the same.

LX are cheaper to get into, and more readily available - at least in the SF bay Area

The roof rack on the LX is useless plastic trim vs the LC extruded aluminum. The side steps and trim are also pointless. The older LC-100s just seem purpose built but the LX is for posers. (currently armouring my new 06 LX so noticing how useless a lot of the crap on them is).

Cost difference is negligible, IMO. Lexus and Toyota parts are priced very close to the same. Dealers charge whatever they want, but search the online vendors and you can find good pricing on either.

Having owned both, the LX has a long list of things that are just nicer. Sound insulation, fabric lined panels, AHC, auto windows, memory seats, telescoping wheel, led cluster, etc... None of those things are deal breakers, but they do improve the overall driving experience. The bones of the vehicle is exactly the same.

I think the minor potential costs of maintenance are more than made up for in all the improvements that the LX offers. Also note, in other world markets the LX is branded as a Toyota Land Cruiser Cygnus. It's a Land Cruiser.

Most importantly, just find the nicest 100 you can - LC or LX.

As already stated, yes you can definitely leave you LC running and use a spare key to lock the car, this is also a useful option if you want to warm/defrost the inside of you car without the worry of some numpty driving off with your car while your back in the house with a cuppa.

Sounds like a great find. Any pics of the new one?

When I order from Partsouq, I just order by part number. They offer parts for both LC and LX.

Sounds like a great find. Any pics of the new one?

Not much to see but all I have for now.

F0EA511E-1DAC-4FB4-96FB-07A77A45508C.jpeg
60129A63-1835-4426-9E3D-406816A8849E.jpeg
5C4296DC-3634-42DF-A314-75ADE01B5959.jpeg

Best to not allow engine to regularly sit idling for prolonged periods (>20 minutes).

056.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom