Newbie looking for help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I've been lurking around the forum for awhile now, learning a lot, but haven't been very active, so a little about me: My 1987 FJ60 was given to me by a friend of the family when I started to learn to drive. It had sat for some time when I received it, so after putting some of my own and more of my father's money into it, it is now daily drivable without any big complaints. However, the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket and possibly the rear main oil seal are leaking a small amount. I'd like to do as much work as possible to the car myself. In theory I know how to change them, but is this something a high schooler can tackle? If I do change them on my own, are there any tips you would give? I have a Haynes repair manual... Any more reading material I should find?

On a less pressing note, my mileage is unsurprisingly bad. It hovers from 9-10 mpg. I know this overweight, underpowered brick of a vehicle isn't going to return any stellar numbers, but I would at least like to see constant double digits. I read a few threads suggesting fixing or replacing plugs, plug wires, distributor, igniter, coil, along with the valve and oil pan gasket... Would anyone recommend doing these? I've also heard the term "desmog" kicked around a bit... Something I should consider? Thanks in advance.

However, the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket and possibly the rear main oil seal are leaking a small amount....I have a Haynes repair manual... Any more reading material I should find?

Lets start here, yes a high schooler could do it, I say start now. A high schooler is more apt to get into these things then a older folk so start young! In other words take care of at least the main oil seal, those other two gaskets are super simple so do those as well. Order of importance guessing would be main rear seal, oil pan gasket and then the valve cover gasket.
Now on the the next thing, that manual sucks haha but you can get by with it. The fsm's are around on here in pdf files. Get those at least at your finger tips on your computer.

As for the other stuff you asked about it seems you have some more research on that stuff so you can make your own decisions. First thing as for the mileage though, your are a High schooler and there for have a lead foot. Go easy on her, drive it like a tractor slow speed ups slow slow downs and don't go over 55mph and you should see those numbers go up easy.

And then do a diesel swap :steer:

Welcome to mud! and cruiser heaven

Lets start here, yes a high schooler could do it, I say start now. A high schooler is more apt to get into these things then a older folk so start young! In other words take care of at least the main oil seal, those other two gaskets are super simple so do those as well. Order of importance guessing would be main rear seal, oil pan gasket and then the valve cover gasket.
Now on the the next thing, that manual sucks haha but you can get by with it. The fsm's are around on here in pdf files. Get those at least at your finger tips on your computer.

As for the other stuff you asked about it seems you have some more research on that stuff so you can make your own decisions. First thing as for the mileage though, your are a High schooler and there for have a lead foot. Go easy on her, drive it like a tractor slow speed ups slow slow downs and don't go over 55mph and you should see those numbers go up easy.

And then do a diesel swap :steer:

Welcome to mud! and cruiser heaven

Like Snow said AND when your at the valve cover gasket... Be a good time to get a FSM and run the valves as well.. Easy on the gas pedal and yes, I would replace plugs, wires, filters, etc.. It will help.

Welcome to the addiction.

J

Are you mechanically inclined? Do you like working with your hands and fixing stuff? Are you able to handle it when (not if) things go wrong? Do you have a backup vehicle for when the cruiser is not drivable?

If you can honestly answer yes to all of the above, then dive in, and start the adventure!

You'll need the FSM (factory service manual). They are available from a 800 number somewhere (google it, you'll find it). Or, you can download it from Mud. The paper copy is easier in my opinion, though you can print the pages you need from the online version.

First, a quick question for lovetoski, where do you download the fsm!?!?!

To the rookie, don't be afraid of the truck. I'm in the same boat you are- new to being under the hood of the beast. I also have a rear main seal that is toast, as well as a large number of other seals that are gone. From the info I've learned, do them all at the same time! If you were to just take care of the rear main, it will add pressure to the rest of the system, and you'll be in a bigger puddle of oil than you (and I) are already in. Best of luck to you, and post pics of your progress!!!

Thanks for the responses, guys. Snowboard, I'd love to have a 6BT sitting under the hood, but that's low on the priority list. I'll definitely get one of those FSMs and start knocking down some of these projects on the to-do list... Maybe someday I'll reach that diesel engine. I was a little apprehensive about wrenching on the wagon at first, but after reading more on Mud and your replies, I feel a lot better about it. I did read that the tranny needs dropped to access the rear main... That's the only part that scares me. I'd love to hear any advice regarding the changing of the rear main seal... Thanks again, guys. I'll post a picture some time soon of the LandCruiser as she sits now.

If your rear main seal is bad and you're gonna drop the transmission and t/c. Look into doing the clutch and u joints while it's all apart. It'll save you some time and you're gonna need to drop the drive shafts when you drop the transmission and you need to remove the clutch and flywheel to get to the rear main seal anyway.

Get a grease gun and a scriber and hit all the grease points.

Doing a desmog will help if ur smog equipment is shot and u don't need to pass emissions. Cutting the a/c belt will help with power as well but then you won't have a/c. but it is what it is. Slow.

Hey,
Congrats on having such a cool first car!

Might want to think about pulling the engine to do the gaskets and you could do the oil galley plug while you are at it. Cannot remember where you are at but that is a great time to desmog the engine too - if your local emissions inspection allows it.

I've pulled the tranny / t-case as a chunk and it is not bad. Pulling the engine really wasn't bad for me either and it also gives you a chance to do some cooling system PM.

Your choice. Either way you can give the clutch some love too if it needs it.

One thing to definitely do is to replace the seal on the front end of the transmission. I went in and did the mainseal, clutch, blah, blah, blah and once I got everything else done, this seal reveals that is is dripping a little too.

I used all Toyota parts when I did my stuff. Dealers still can access a lot more than you might think so give them a holler. Cruiserdan or Beno can help you. I go through my local guys. I told them I could either get 20% and order from them or get 20% from CDan or Beno. They gave me 20% but recently gave me 35% on a radiator for my 80. Give the locals some love and they will love you back!

Good luck and have fun!

I forget, did you post pics?

these are easy machines to work on, and perfect to learn how a vehicle works.
there is nothing magic about cars, just science and mechanics. gets some hand tools and get cracking.

no pix of new rides makes many people mad.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Let me start by saying Mud and its members have been immensely helpful with everything. Hopefully this picture uploads fine... I'll make a list of everything I'm going to do and the parts I need soon, and I'll get in contact with one of the aforementioned members when it comes time to order. I'm still looking for a FSM... I'd like to have a tangible copy rather than a .pdf file. Is this something a local Toyota dealer would be able to supply for me? Also, I don't know if there's a photo limit, but I'll try and post a few pictures of the bodywork I did. I've been dying to show it off.
image-1104110986.jpg

Being a noob to Land Cruisers myself, I can say this, as I feel strongly about it: if you are dropping the tranny to do the rear main seal, replace the clutch! That is, if you don't positively know for a fact that it is new. Spend the money now while the tranny is dropped, and will save you on labor to drop the tranny again to replace it maybe shortly down the road. If not saving shop labor, your own labor because your time is worth something right? the timing belt replacement in my Tacoma's 5VZ-FE was way over my head at the time, so I had the dealer do it. Service writer pretty much insisted we do the water pump and belts, since they were going to be off anyway. He let me provide my own water pump, belts, t- stat, as long as they were new and not refurbished.
Good luck, keep searching on mud, welcome to the addiction ( and empty wallet) and use jack stands!

-Danny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom