BJ60 3B diesel swap into FJ60 + WVO and turbo (build future) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lorita's getting her wishes. 3B, WVO, turbo, lift, ect.

Edit: 6-2012 Just mentioned this to someone else and figured I would do it as well.

Project list:

Already done:
[strike]Diesel is in
power steering added to 3b, siginaw pump
Two tank and all other oil burning ready properties
Lift
16" tires and rims
interior rust repair
rubber flooring
flop ladder off pommel horse tailgate
knuckle rebuild
TD05-12b Turbo installed
[
[/strike]

Left on list:
build roof rack
build ladder
build bumpers
interior work
exterior rust repair
paint

T-case gears
much more

So I just started my build on my 2F converting it to diesel with a 3B.
Here is a little history on the two vehicles (feel free to skip).

~History~

So I came across a 82 FJ for 1,200$ with a rod knock and decided to purchase it. It was about 150 miles away, I was heading that way to see my new nephew anyways. Called up my dad told him to bring the truck and we hooked up the dolly (yes dolly NOT RECOMMENDED), to make things worse he brought the astro van not truck or either of the other two full sized vans!
On the way down I called a guy on CL and we picked up a F.5 (1974) on the way back up (oh joy even more weight for the dolly and astro van). It's been sitting for 7 years and supposed to have around 100k we will see. I had planned on putting it in the FJ for now but plans changed :)
Some think I'm crazy for puting a F in a 60 but the F.5 has same torque and maybe 10-15 less HP and it came with a header so I figured it would be good.

Then I decided screw it lets do it right the first time...

BJ60 a few weeks later I was on my way up to B.C. with a hauler. brought all my importing paperwork and bought the BJ60. Rust bucket and a half decent frame though and around 160k (miles). Couldnt get fuel to the injectors so after two hours of tickering I offered 500$ I think-sold. Towed it home, still trusting it was a good engine. That night I had a dream that diesels only shut off with fuel cut off and the next day zip tied the EDIC open and fired her right up. EDIC motor works, one of the oil pressure gages was unplugged I think.

Here are the
~TRUCKS~

SSPX0346.jpg
SSPX0348.jpg

SSPX0347.jpg

Last edited:
So first things first, lets clean this garage!

SSPX0349.jpg

SSPX0350.jpg

And the tool box!!!!

SSPX0352.jpg
SSPX0353.jpg

Headers ready to go in (the BJ now)

SSPX0351.jpg

Let the tear down begin! (not much working area)

SSPX0358.jpg

SSPX0361.jpg
SSPX0356.jpg
SSPX0368.jpg
SSPX0369.jpg
SSPX0371.jpg

I hope she is strong enough?
SSPX0372.jpg
SSPX0373.jpg
SSPX0376.jpg
SSPX0377.jpg

She thinks I am crazy
SSPX0375.jpg

SSPX0384.jpg

NEXT!!!!
SSPX0378.jpg

Oh boy I will need this for sure! (couldn't do it without it!)
SSPX0385.jpg

This rust is so bad!

SSPX0379.jpg

Love the rack though, it will be nice on the FJ
SSPX0381.jpg

Ok its getting late (same day) so lets get a move on
SSPX0382.jpg
SSPX0386.jpg
SSPX0387.jpg

Got both out that night, here are some next day pics

SSPX0392.jpg

Gosh I love diesel
SSPX0393.jpg

So that's where I am at now, next welding the BJ motor mounts to the FJ or FJ to BJ whats what now?

Note don't spend to long looking for your welder when you sold it! agh what now?:bang:

It looks like I am on hold, mortgage payment went out today and I will have no money for a couple weeks. Unless I find someone with a welder close by project on hold. Aghhh!!!!! all for a welder, why in the world did I sell it?

I'm in Tacoma just in case any LC crazed fool is close by :p

:cheers:

Last edited:
Im Back

Ok so After a long break from working on the cruiser smack in the middle of the engine project I finally got back to her this last year. I didn't get it finished before my wedding, then one thing after the other just kept it on hold.

Here was the progress over the last few months.
Welded on the engine mounts.
swapped out the transmissions, actually I installed the fj tranny before realizing I needed to swap input shafts, Thanks Cruiser_guy!
BJ tranny and split case in, (they had lower miles anyway a wopp'n 160k)
Install choke cable for edic shut off, the original edic was toast, which was how i got the truck for so cheap.
Fab up some brackets to add power steering pump. I ended up putting this were my oba compressor should have went oops.
wire in alt.
swap tachometers.
I think a couple weeks on her to get it finished after letting her sit for two years, man I felt bad.

After I got her all tuned up I moved on to the wvo system.
installed tank warmer with aluminum tubing. I used the old rear heater lines to get the hot water back there as well as the old return fuel line as my new diesel line. The original diesel(fuel) line stayed in the tank as my wvo line.
plumed all the lines together in insulation and up to the 3 port switching valve then to the 30 plate heat exchanger go big or go home right? I since then heard these cheap valves can start to leak and are not meant for negative pressure our lift pumps put on them. I deal with that when it happens.
I have injector heaters I can install but don't real see the need as of now. wouldn't mind them for cold starts but to busy with other things. The fuel filer I just wrapped with 3/8s hot water line.

Next project was the suspension, I have no idea how this moved up the ladder before the turbo but it just happened one day. Doing it again I would have went with both ford packs but here is my new setup.

Up front I stayed sua with rear f150 fords older ones 53"era they have a healthy arch, and a 22.5/30.5 offset or somewhere around that. Rear went with the tried and true as well as controversial gmc or chevy 63s soa.
Mini truck driveline with dc joint, I still have to limit my front drop 1" or it will bind. have yet to figure this one out. probably have to c&t.

This is were we sit today as I wait for more money to come in for socks and tires.

I'll edit and add pictures soon.

Last edited:
some random projects that kept me from the main stuff

Before
IMAG0625-1.jpg

After
IMAG0643.jpg
IMAG0646-1.jpg

I still need to fill in the diesel with green and also outline the TOYOTA in white
IMAG0640.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg
IMAG0440-1.jpg
IMAG0334.jpg
IMAG0611.jpg

Gutting the cruiser before suspension build

IMAG0668.jpg
IMAG0667.jpg

getting ready for this stuff after the rust repair

IMAG0699.jpg

Last edited:
Veggy setup

Always changing but here is the jest of it.

IMAG0701.jpg
IMAG0702.jpg

Rotory pumped through the filters, heated into the settling tank. Main pump from settling tank to storage, its valved up so it can fill up our vehicles. As well main pump has quick disconnects for retrieving oil from the restaurants.

Most recent project

So now we are caught back up in time to our current project.
First I want to thank Nick B for all his help, He would say he is doing it just to learn some stuff but I wouldn't have done it without Him.

Like I said before, 53" fords (shhh) sua up front 63" chebs in the rear.

Getting setup in the shop

IMAG0705.jpg
IMAG0704.jpg

they look good together
IMAG0703.jpg

tearing out the rear

IMAG0706.jpg

I reused most mounts, here is one about to be tacked up and before new shackles

IMAG0711.jpg

here are the mounts we did make

IMAG0712.jpg
IMAG0713.jpg

Taking some time off to measure up Nicks shocks

IMAG0754.jpg
IMAG0757.jpg

Like I said, Nick helped out a Ton! here is is grinding away

IMAG0759.jpg

Time to measure up for my shockes

IMAG0772.jpg
IMAG0773.jpg
IMAG0778.jpg
IMAG0779.jpg
IMAG0780.jpg

Last edited:
So when we measured up for shocks it appears I can almost use the stock locations to me measurements are
Rear droop 22.5
stuff 15.5
Front droop 30
stuff 17.5

If I go bilstein 5150s all around
rear 8.5 travel 14.17 - 22.5
front 12 travel 17.78 - 29.7

The front is a little short, I will probably end up just going with some shock towers. But all the guys running stock springs soa do they really need them? or am I cutting it to close in the rear as well? It would be nice not to move my upper rear mounts and get a worse angle, thats why I was originally going to go with 6100 with stiff valving.

Thank you BC40, They are off of the rear of a 91 ford f150 I removed the overload (used them on the 63s instead of its massive one) and added two packs. they have about 9-10's off free arch in them. I like em, Like I said doing it again I would try them in the rear as well to help deproach angle.
When I was at the junk yard I saw them on a older f150 but that 1991 was the newest one in the yard that had them.

We got 33"s out of the front with fully inflated tires. I am sure after I get my 35"s to clear and deflated we will get well over 3 feet out of the front. The rear is already there.

Whats your opinion on the shocks? how much lee way on either side of compression extension should you have?

You converting to an eye upper mount on the front shocks? Didn't know there were 12" stroke available for the factory stud attachment.

Front, I don't think your shocks will be happy limiting the suspension both directions.

Rear, looks like you should still be able to get more travel out of those 63's. Especially on the compression, but maybe even on droop.

Thanks for the info on the 53's :beer:

Does the truck sit level? I also have lift springs front, soa rear. The fronts on mine have settled so I've been thinking about replacing them. Your set up looks promising.

:cheers:

Yea I was going to go eye upper but you can get the stem conversion on those 5150s that doesn't change the lengths I'm going to run longer ones with shock towers though. Worried about the valving. The truck is raked in the back right now but its also striped no carpet seats ect so it should he level. So are you saying your sua front soa read like me?
Yea fully loaded I will get More out of the rear for sure, I do need to prepare my shocks for that good point.

Valving is the tricky part now!

That grille looks good, what did you do to prep it? did you brush on paint? or rattle can?

I spent a good amount of time with some fine sand paper going to town on it. It turned out really nice, I cleaned and sanded the chrome as well. I just need to have me mother in law outline the TOYOTA in white.
I used black rattle can epoxy primer. I love that stuff it is extremely durable and has a decent finish as well.
Depending on the paint scheme I come up with I may end up painting the chrome to match the other trim, thats a few months away at least though.

I will tell you my fingers where very sore by the end of sanding but I got it done in a day and it was worth it.

Shocks

I am waiting for my shocks to arrive, Thank you to all who helped me decide on what ones to buy and which valving to get.
I ended up ordering Bilstein 7100s 14" travel for the front with 275/78 valving.
For the rear I used the stock location (other then the bottom mount) with pretty much the stock angle of 30 degrees and I went with 7100s remote reservoir short body. I only got the remote res because they were out of the regular, so I went short body and that ended up allowing me to run stock location.

The fronts were 130$ a piece and the rears were 162$ a piece and That included shipping so I feel like I got a steel of a deal.

With the rears at 30 degree angle I think I figured out the valving to be around 306kn so I feel with those long soft springs should be good. We will see I can always re valve now!

Here are some pictures of the mounts I made, I hope they work. I am still waiting on shocks and front towers.
I will run the hiem end or spherical bearing on the upper mount in the front and lower mount in the rear. The lower front and upper rear is using the stock 5/8ish stud so I will pull the hiem out and put bushings in as many people suggested those ends wear out in a season anyways. I can just replace the others as they where out.

IMAG0810.jpg
IMAG0809.jpg
IMAG0808.jpg

measuring full drop. I found you get more droop this way that flexing it out.

IMAG0807.jpg

Of course those are just tacked in waiting for the shocks to be 100% sure. as well I will run spacers to keep the hiem end free to do as it pleases.

So we were busy last week and its been a while since we were able to work on the rigs. This weekend I moved my axle back about 1 1/4 inches because it was hitting the tie rod against the steering arm at full stuff. We also finished up some loose ends, drilled out the bushings to accept sleeves and got the suspension all squared away.

I also was able to mount up some tires it looks like I will be running for a while before I can afford my super lugs.

I bought a built and very used bronco 2 (didn't think I would ever buy a Ford) for 800$ swiped the tires, bumper, 8k winch, rock sliders, CB antenna and 60" farm jack. I then sold the truck for 500$ to my buddy who wanted the amc 20s for his B2 and I sold the bumper for 225$ So I am out 75$ and I have a winch 5 33x12.5r15 bfg m/t km's jack, ect. So I made out pretty good on the deal.

I bought ford shock towers but flexing her out again I found the 12.5" wide tires rub on my stock shock location and will for sure rub on the new towers. So we got some cheap pipe and fabbed up some custom hoops that will look and work nicely. The metal shop is closed on the weekend so come this week we will go got some structural sched 40 pipe and weld them up.

Here is some eye candy, the 33's clear and looks like minimal trimming to stuff my 35 skinnys.

Still waiting on the stocks, I have yet to even get shipping info. I am getting restless.

Moving the axle back

IMAG0847.jpg

IMAG0848.jpg
IMAG0849.jpg
IMAG0850.jpg
IMAG0851.jpg
IMAG0852.jpg

I don't think the 33s look as bad soa as people make them out to.

Last edited:
Shocks!

Yes they have arrived! building hoops tomorrow hopefully I will be driving it by the end of the weekend. I have been so busy I hope I can squeeze this in. We have the moonshiners swap meet on sunday too.

IMAG0880.jpg

IMAG0881.jpg

I kind of figured I wouldn't get as far as I wanted this weekend but I did get the hoops built most of the way.

IMAG0882.jpg
IMAG0883.jpg
IMAG0884.jpg
IMAG0885.jpg

Went to the swap meet today, just mostly jeep stuff. Had a whole list and found nothing on it. But we did stumble across a a/c bracket and pump for my buddies 22r and oba that wasn't on the list 10$. So I guess the wet rainy/sleeting day staring at jeep third after jeep axle after jeep bumper and gm/chevy parts was all worth it. Oh I guess there was some jeep stuff there to look at as well.

Mike (yohavos) is this your troopie?

IMAG0886.jpg
IMAG0888.jpg

Will update soon I hope! I need to get this thing back on the road, we may make a move and rent our house out soon and I am sick of driving my wife's om617.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom