Newb Found This: HZJ76L and Hilux 2012 in US!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post here, so I thought I might contribute something before I ask a bunch of already answered questions. I started out searching for a diesel Toyota after seeing a few in Costa Rica/Panama and being pissed that we can't get them in the USA. Eventually I found this forum and it has been very useful in trying to figure out what I want to eventually find. Right now I have a growing family, a 2500lb boat, a bunch of music equipment, and a half built cabin that could all use the benefit of a reasonably fuel efficient SUV at my disposal. I think what I really want is a LHD HDJ80/81, which have been impossible to find. However, I'm thinking a HZJ76-78 would work to, as I think the long wheel base and four doors is better for the family (convince me a 70 would work too and I'll consider the LHD I found for $8k in WA).

Anyways, since I can't afford this anyways I thought someone would appreciate it (no relation to seller):

Corpus Christi, TX

2012 TOYOTA HILUX AND LAND CRUISER

Qty 2: 2012 Toyota Hilux KUN25L-PRMDHV LHD 5 seater D4D 2.5TD Diesel Engine, 5 Speed Transmission, with Iron-Man bumper, warn winch, skid plates. Approx 1000km on the odo. These vehicles were used in the production of training videos, and are in as-new condition.
$28,500 each FOB VA Port

Qty 2: 2012 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ76L-RKMNSV 4.2L Diesel STD 10-seater with Iron-Man bumper, warn winch, skid plates, approx 1000km on the odo. These vehicles were used in the production of training videos, and are in as-new condition. $39,500 each FOB VA Port

Big Tire Sales
Shipping available to any Port or Foreign Cty

If anyone here buys one of these cars let me know so I can come over and drool on it!
Links below (hopefully) because as a Newb I cant post links in the first thread

^ agreed. Can't find link either

Found them on a quick google and they state for export only:

Available for export only
GCC spec vehicles and cannot be registered in the US.

so sad

I am currently living in Japan and working on bringing back one to the US (over 25 years old) the search is own.

corpuschristi craigslist org /hvd/4512368962 (dot) html

sorry I can't post links for another day, and until I get some 'likes' on my posts

Actually, I think there is ALOT of misunderstanding regarding the ability to register these cars in the US. For one, the ad does not state for "export only." Second, consider that these cars are already in the US, and they were not seized/destroyed etc. Most importantly, if you go to the EPA and DOT websites there are provisions for importing a vehicle less than 6 years old, especially if you go through a registered importer (ICI). According to the EPA, TLCs up until 1998 don't even need a customs bond. A letter from Toyota and/or an emmissions report would suffice for these vehicles IMHO.

see

epa (dot) gov
and
dot (dot) gov

That is incredibly strange and almost looks like a scam. Sure wish I could have that Hilux though...... damn.

corpuschristi craigslist org /hvd/4512368962 (dot) html

sorry I can't post links for another day, and until I get some 'likes' on my posts

Actually, I think there is ALOT of misunderstanding regarding the ability to register these cars in the US. For one, the ad does not state for "export only." Second, consider that these cars are already in the US, and they were not seized/destroyed etc. Most importantly, if you go to the EPA and DOT websites there are provisions for importing a vehicle less than 6 years old, especially if you go through a registered importer (ICI). According to the EPA, TLCs up until 1998 don't even need a customs bond. A letter from Toyota and/or an emmissions report would suffice for these vehicles IMHO.

see

epa (dot) gov
and
dot (dot) gov

ok you buy them both and if you can get a Florida, Texas or California title on either of them the list of Mud buyers will be 10 deep and pockets full of cash

ok you buy them both and if you can get a Florida, Texas or California title on either of them the list of Mud buyers will be 10 deep and pockets full of cash

Or Georgia title .......

Title does not represent legal entry into the USA....only ownership. Most likely as these vehicles were used for training videos they entered the USA with a limit on how long they could stay or who they could be sold to. Which means the seller may never tell you, but yes you could buy them.....but and its a big one....if they were meant to leave they can be crushed at any time. If you drive them on the road and get in a crash.......goodbye house. All it takes in one Toyota loving Lawyer who sees a way to move up in his firm...you get in a crash and loose everything. Sad story but has happened before!

A very good friend of mine was involved with these trucks....they were used for instructional/training videos in Virginia hence the VA title. I had a bunch of pictures of them at one point....basically brand new trucks. Unfortunately, ECO45 is right on the money. They can not stay in the US....they must be exported. I'm not sure if they are being sold by the original people involved(my friend is not involved with the sale of them) or somebody bought them to flip them. Cool trucks, too bad they can't stay.

Technically seatownlion is right that they can be legally "imported" using an RI of some sort and doing all the certifications and mods that FMVSS, DOT and EPA regs require, but the cost and effort required would make it a non-starter for 99% of most cruiser owners.

I am pretty sure that Mike from West Coast Cruisers has a few late 90s and mid 2000s 70 series trucks that he brought in the he "right" way. Drop him a line and see what process he went thru:meh:

I guarantee that the overwhelming majority of <25 year 70 series trucks out there are of the grey market variety, my old '97 troopie included. Yeah, I had a valid US title, but as a previous diplomatic vehicle, it was improperly re-sold in a non-diplomatic status individual and was not re-exported or destroyed, which is against the rules and always hung over my head while I owned it. You roll the bones, you may get burned.

Last edited:
probably used for training certain folks that work in the middle east would be my guess, there is at least one outfit in VA that does this\

think the rigs mentioned came from these guys
http://www.4x4bcds.com/bcds-news.html
lchiluxlineup.jpg

and this is what can happen if you get to tricky bringing in rigs that are not suppose to be here]
http://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-seized-40-land-rovers-imported-to-the-u-s-1605985758/all

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54930

Last edited:
probably used for training certain folks that work in the middle east would be my guess, there is at least one outfit in VA that does this\

think the rigs mentioned came from these guys
http://www.4x4bcds.com/bcds-news.html
lchiluxlineup.jpg

and this is what can happen if you get to tricky bringing in rigs that are not suppose to be here]
http://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-seized-40-land-rovers-imported-to-the-u-s-1605985758/all

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54930

We saw a few of those trucks down near Uwharrie...

I hadn't seen the link of the seized disco's.....that happened last week!

here's a yahoo article about it....

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/us-customs-cracking-down-imported-land-rovers-133005490.html

yikes!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom