New Windshield, Dealer Won't Recalibrate Sensors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had my windshield replaced last month by the Toyota dealer up the road in Helena with no issues. They did, however, need to ask me where the spare tire crank tools are stored on my '16 to do the tire rotation. They're not the first dealership to ask me that, either. They either don't work on LCs much, or only usually rotate 4 wheels instead of 5.

@WesSiler We have had a couple similar issues in the past with Ressler. Once with my wife's car where they claimed they didn't sell/install the tires and wouldn't help her fix a flat while I was out of town. After she put up a pretty nasty FB post, they came calling saying please take it down and we'll fix; our bad (turns out they f'd up a tire during the original install, went and bought another in town and didn't tell anyone, so it didn't show up as something they had sold). Not my decision/not my problem. Sucks it comes to that sort of thing these days.

The other was a recall w/ the TSS on my Tacoma. Suspension had been modified (BP-51 as well). They started the recall work then came in and said "Sorry, we can't perform this work because your suspension has been modified." After some debate (and the recall being very minor) I said fine, whatever, don't do it. When I got into leave, all my lights were lit up (which they weren't when I brought it in). I was pretty pissed and said no way. This vehicle was fine when I brought it in, you guys caused this, you are required to fix it. Again, after some debate, they did in fact fix and cleared up all issues.

I guess the point is, stand your ground, get the service manager and/or the GM if you need to. It was fine when you brought it in, it now isn't. They need to do what is necessary to clear the codes.

In Ressler's defense, they are following Toyota's guidelines by the book. However, as a dealer, we also have an obligation to take care of our customers, and that's where they failed.

This issue can be remedied by talking to the service manager and/or general manager and having them write on the repair order "Modified vehicle. Calibrated radar and forward facing camera at owner's request. Toyota and dealer not responsible for the system not workings as designed due to unapproved modifications."

It's definitely best to keep cool and understand the dealers side too. In doing so, I think they will empathize with your issue as well and this should be a simple remedy: three hours of labor and a signature stating they are not liable should do the trick. If they still won't help, then you are best to find another dealer to patronize.

Thanks for the insight on this Eric. As always there are two sides to the coin. My question is what others brought up as well which is - why wouldn't they raise objection from the beginning? It seems like they should have refused the job from the get go, but instead they took Wes' money and half finished the job. Surely that is not Toyota policy.

Alright, so as an update, I talked to the service manager and I'm going in Monday morning to try and get this fixed. They're still refusing to recalibrate, and I've explained that simply turning off the warning lights isn't good enough. I guess we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I've reached out to my friends in Plano for help.

If they're unable or unwilling to make this right, I'm going to ask that they refund our windshield replacement package, and pay for a third party to perform the labor. Does that seem reasonable?

All of us here in Bozeman should coordinate car pool rides or similar to Toyota Billings for future service stuff.

Alright, so as an update, I talked to the service manager and I'm going in Monday morning to try and get this fixed. They're still refusing to recalibrate, and I've explained that simply turning off the warning lights isn't good enough. I guess we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I've reached out to my friends in Plano for help.

If they're unable or unwilling to make this right, I'm going to ask that they refund our windshield replacement package, and pay for a third party to perform the labor. Does that seem reasonable?

All of us here in Bozeman should coordinate car pool rides or similar to Toyota Billings for future service stuff.
I agree with you, if they can't complete the job, they need to refund you the money. They should have refused the job from the get-go as @1world1love stated. On a separate note, some third-party glass companies have been able to figure this out here in Indy. If that's the case, there may be some near you. I hope your conversation goes well. Good luck

I agree with you, if they can't complete the job, they need to refund you the money. They should have refused the job from the get-go as @1world1love stated. On a separate note, some third-party glass companies have been able to figure this out here in Indy. If that's the case, there may be some near you. I hope your conversation goes well. Good luck
Appreciate your help.

You should have a much better experience at Billings Toyota.

You should have a much better experience at Billings Toyota.
Especially if you ever need parts. The parts manager is a top notch guy and quite a car enthusiast, and the other guys there have been great to work with too.

Although I have heard of friends driving the two hours to Ressler to purchase their Toyota’s 🤷🏻‍♂️

Especially if you ever need parts. The parts manager is a top notch guy and quite a car enthusiast, and the other guys there have been great to work with too.

Although I have heard of friends driving the two hours to Ressler to purchase their Toyota’s 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah, I've driven to Billings for parts before. They seem to have a much better supply than Ressler.

The sales experience at Ressler wasn't terrible. They pulled the usual shell game around upsells, but at least knocked it off when I told them to. Service has been another story. They didn't tighten the oil filter on a friend's 200, and I had to show them how to drop the spare tire too.

I know 99.99999 % of Toyota's business is selling commodity vehicles to discount shoppers, but this is a $125k vehicle. You'd think someone there could put two and two together, and come to the conclusion they might want to sell me a vehicle again in the future.

Yeah, I've driven to Billings for parts before. They seem to have a much better supply than Ressler.

The sales experience at Ressler wasn't terrible. They pulled the usual shell game around upsells, but at least knocked it off when I told them to. Service has been another story. They didn't tighten the oil filter on a friend's 200, and I had to show them how to drop the spare tire too.

I know 99.99999 % of Toyota's business is selling commodity vehicles to discount shoppers, but this is a $125k vehicle. You'd think someone there could put two and two together, and come to the conclusion they might want to sell me a vehicle again in the future.
I didn’t know Toyota sold six figure highlanders 😂

It’s been said before on here. The worst part about owning a Land Cruiser is the dealer experience. I know it’s not all Toyota dealers but it’s the vast majority. Even Service advisors don’t recognize a 200 and think it’s a Highlander. I know mine does this. hope you get it sorted.

Wondering if the guys at Overland Cruisers can handle this for you?

It’s been said before on here. The worst part about owning a Land Cruiser is the dealer experience. I know it’s not all Toyota dealers but it’s the vast majority. Even Service advisors don’t recognize a 200 and think it’s a Highlander. I know mine does this. hope you get it sorted.

Wondering if the guys at Overland Cruisers can handle this for you?
They're a good fall back option. Just having already paid for a windshield replacement package, it'd be nice if the dealer is actually able to perform its job.

Probably the best bet out of pocket is just going to be an indy auto glass place.

I'm reminding myself every 5 minutes not to throw a complete hissy fit.

Talk to Toyota Customer Care directly.
They will likely talk to the dealer. I suspect they didn’t know how to do it...and were too lazy to research it.

Silliness.

Talk to Toyota Customer Care directly.
They will likely talk to the dealer. I suspect they didn’t know how to do it...and were too lazy to research it.

Silliness.
Eric is right though, toyota explicitly says lifting a 16+ vehicle alters things to the point that these systems don't work as intended, so technically the dealer shouldn't be doing calibrations on a modified rig. The rub is in them doing half the work before realizing they had a problem with doing the job. I don't know whether customer care would be of much use here, though it wouldn't hurt to call.

They're a good fall back option. Just having already paid for a windshield replacement package, it'd be nice if the dealer is actually able to perform its job.

Probably the best bet out of pocket is just going to be an indy auto glass place.

why did you pay?

That stinks!

As an update: Ressler is now happy to perform windshield sensor calibrations on vehicles with lifts or larger tires. You'll just be asked to sign @Eric Sarjeant's disclaimer on your service receipt. They completed the work to my satisfaction this morning, and were very nice about it.

Good to hear!

As an update: Ressler is now happy to perform windshield sensor calibrations on vehicles with lifts or larger tires. You'll just be asked to sign @Eric Sarjeant's disclaimer on your service receipt. They completed the work to my satisfaction this morning, and were very nice about it.
And now I want a 16 again!

Kidding.. I’d still want to be able to do it in my driveway, but I’m glad they were accommodating within reason.

Out of curiosity how much did you pay for the “windshield package?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom