New Windshield, Dealer Won't Recalibrate Sensors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took the truck in for its 10,000 miles service this morning, and had the windshield replaced at the same time. Dealer (Ressler Toyota in Bozeman) says it can't/wont/isn't allowed to reset the related sensors "because the truck is lifted."

Warning lights for lane departure, headlamp malfunction, and automatic emergency braking are all lit up. I can't give my wife the truck in this condition.

I've never had a dealer do this before. Bozeman Ford happily recalibrated the sensors on my lifted Ranger after replacing a windshield both a few months ago, and a year ago.

Anyone else dealt with this? What was your resolution?

That's absurd.

They have liability on their hands. Since they agreed to replace the windshield, they should do everything else that's required. Technically now they disabled several safety systems. I think you may want to bring up the word "lawyer".

Though, probably the best thing to do first is to call Toyota and complain.

That's absurd.

They have liability on their hands. Since they agreed to replace the windshield, they should do everything else that's required. Technically now they disabled several safety systems. I think you may want to bring up the word "lawyer".

That's absurd.

I'm reminding myself every 5 minutes not to throw a complete hissy fit.

They could have avoided recalibration altogether had they not unplugged the mirror and just carefully let it dangle...

Wow, that's asinine?! For a dealership to leave you hanging on that of all things?

Don't know how to help you out to negotiate with the dealer. But I also don't recall the hive mind here ever posting instructions on how to DIY calibrate? I presume it's a different calibration procedure from zero point cal?

Yeah, I would call Toyota customer relations. That is totally unacceptable. It's not like you are asking them to service your suspension. My local Lexus shop has never sneezed at doing anything on my truck.

Paging @Eric Sarjeant - Any insight into this madness?

Pardon my ignorance but how does replacing the windshield cause these sensors to need recalibration and is this something a guy can do at home?

Also, I’d be having a hissy fit as well.

This could just be a reflection of why folks call me Vader, but I don’t understand what is holding you back from flame spraying them into a small cinder. They have proved that they are defective in their customer service mindset, and since they failed to complete the full service that apparently goes with a windshield change (or they screwed it up and now don’t want to own up to it), they have shifted themselves from the category of service provider to target. Whether you inflict lawyers on them or plow through them yourself, you are already in the position of having to find someone new to do maintenance, might as well get some stress relief by making them miserable. If they objected to the lift, they should have brought that objection up before replacing the windshield. Raising it after replacing the windshield and your dash is lit up like a Christmas tree smells of incompetence. Other opinions may vary. 😉

Pardon my ignorance but how does replacing the windshield cause these sensors to need recalibration and is this something a guy can do at home?

Also, I’d be having a hissy fit as well.

Not 100% sure, but a lot of the safety system sensors are integrated in the rearview mirror housing. Things like brake assist and lane assist have sensors in a few different locations and this is one of them.

AND they probably still took the full cost of the replacement even though they didn't do all of the work...

Go to another dealership but you will need to pay roughly for 3 hours of labor as this is the approximate time to do the recalibration. When I was installing front coil spacers the lead mechanic who does suspensions came out to talk to me to let me now that they may have to recalibrate sensors if they get an error after the lift and they cannot let me leave without it. Thankfully the OEM spacers job didn't throw out any errors. Since they have not done lift on your truck they may not want to touch it in case suspension operates not per toyota specs. Just my thoughts

Last edited:
This probably won't help any, but for reference. There's a lot going on here and how that interacts with the geometry of a lifted car...argh!

1615518024020.png

1615518102697.png

1615518118679.png

Last edited:
Go to another dealership but you will need to pay roughly for 3 hours of labor as this the approximate time to do the recalibration. When I was installing front coil spacers the lead mechanic who does suspensions came out to talk to me to let me now that they may have to recalibrate sensors if they get an error after the lift and they cannot let me leave without it. Thankfully the OEM spacers job didn't throw out any errors. Since they have not done lift on your truck they may not want to touch it in case suspension operates not per toyota specs. Just my thoughts

Not sure what year LC you have? You prob don't need the the forward camera alignment posted above, but you still need to do a Zero Point Cal for the stability control system as it'll be out of calibration and overreactive.

They could have avoided recalibration altogether had they not unplugged the mirror and just carefully let it dangle...

This ^. If they disconnect the wires, the computer gets pissed. If they disconnect the sensors (and wires) from the window brackets, the computer doesn’t even know (and the hard-mount bracket makes the alignment consistent).

As a Toyota dealership, they should know this.

Not sure what year LC you have? You prob don't need the the forward camera alignment posted above, but you still need to do a Zero Point Cal for the stability control system as it'll be out of calibration and overreactive.
21HE. Maybe not an issue as it was more tilted down at front comparing to non-HE. There is a wide tolerance level as the truck moves up and down quiet bit during breaking

I had my windshield replaced by safelite last week with OEM glass. Even they did the recalibration with my 2” lift. Took him about 2 minutes. Maybe easier and not worth the fit by throwing a $20 to one of those guys.

but it get your frustration at the dealer

Call toyota customer service and speak to yoji Nakamura head dude there.... tell him to call stealer’s owner to get resolved otherwise that stealership is on the s*** list.

In Ressler's defense, they are following Toyota's guidelines by the book. However, as a dealer, we also have an obligation to take care of our customers, and that's where they failed.

This issue can be remedied by talking to the service manager and/or general manager and having them write on the repair order "Modified vehicle. Calibrated radar and forward facing camera at owner's request. Toyota and dealer not responsible for the system not workings as designed due to unapproved modifications."

It's definitely best to keep cool and understand the dealers side too. In doing so, I think they will empathize with your issue as well and this should be a simple remedy: three hours of labor and a signature stating they are not liable should do the trick. If they still won't help, then you are best to find another dealer to patronize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom