New Warn Zeon Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nice that the rope would be protected much more than on the traditional winches.
OTOH, I looked at the specs of both the zeon and the HD 12Ks and it looks like the specs on the zeon are a bit less impressive. Slower at 12K and only 6,400 lbs vs 9,200 on the 5th layer. Also, 80' vs 125' of rope. 40 lbs lighter, though.

It should be noted that the ZEON 12 and M12000 are very different winches. The ZEON 12 is what we call a mid-frame winch, and mounts feet down. The M12000 is what we call a large-frame winch, and mounts feet forward. Plus, the winch architecture is totally different. In addition, the ZEON 12 is part of our Premium Series, not our Heavyweight or Ultimate Performance series, which will usually have top-of-the-line performance.

- Andy

It should be noted that the ZEON 12 and M12000 are very different winches. The ZEON 12 is what we call a mid-frame winch, and mounts feet down. The M12000 is what we call a large-frame winch, and mounts feet forward. Plus, the winch architecture is totally different. In addition, the ZEON 12 is part of our Premium Series, not our Heavyweight or Ultimate Performance series, which will usually have top-of-the-line performance.

- Andy
Ok, noted. Got any prices? IMHO there better be a damn good price break to motivate folks to buy economy version Warn winches as opposed to (for example) the Badland 12k which has similar specs under load for amp draw and line speed and has 20' more wire rope for $300.

There is a good review on the winches in the January/February 4WD Toyota Owner Magazine.

I like that the new zeon winch removes the 3 wires and replaces them with a buss bar for the internal connections.

- Andy

Thanks Andy. I am actually in the market for a 12K winch, and am stuck trying to decide between a Zeon 12 and M12000. I have a heavy-ish 80 series Land Cruiser. I've been stuck in places that an 8K winch can't budge me. I'd like to avoid that problem again if possible. :doh:

Warn markets the Zeon line as a "premium" winch, which sounds pretty good to me. Between the M Series and Zeon lines, how do I go about knowing which line of winches is best for me? In other words, what use cases or situations would push me to one unit over the other?

Ok, noted. Got any prices? IMHO there better be a damn good price break to motivate folks to buy economy version Warn winches as opposed to (for example) the Badland 12k which has similar specs under load for amp draw and line speed and has 20' more wire rope for $300.

The zeon is over a grand. You're better off buying three of the harbor freights and putting them front and rear and one on the shelf in the garage. Same warranty as the warn, and likely not much difference in quality.
YOMV.

The zeon is over a grand. You're better off buying three of the harbor freights and putting them front and rear and one on the shelf in the garage. Same warranty as the warn, and likely not much difference in quality.
YOMV.
Ouch! My Badland is still under it's optional 2 yr warranty that I paid an extra $50 for when I got it. Total $350 for a 12k with 2 yr warranty was good for me then and now.

LOL. Dang, these ad guys are wicked good.... :)

;) I guess it's easy to get sucked in (or suckered maybe) when you aren't all that familiar with winches. You tend to go with a name you know...which you inherently trust more. It's not necessarily the right thing to do, but it's human nature.

I just don't want to get stuck again for 6+ hours. So I think...would a "premium" winch from a company I know be reliable and get me out of trouble? Or, maybe "heavy duty"?

In the process of evaluating my options, I also came across Engo winches, which seem to get good reviews, but their name is new to me, and so I wonder if they're reliable.

I just ordered the Zeon 10 with a MasterPull LCP 3/8"x100" Synthetic and Hawse Fairlead. I am fitting it on a Slee Shortbus for my '96 LC. I don't know if the solenoid box will fit in the shortbus, but I'm gonna try. I am also about .1 inches too tight on the depth tolerance........we might have to pull out a plasma cutter and notch my new Slee Shortbus Bumper. I will post pictures when I install in a few days. This is a REALLY tight fit, but that could be a good thing.

Between the M Series and Zeon lines, how do I go about knowing which line of winches is best for me? In other words, what use cases or situations would push me to one unit over the other?

The ZEON is going to have superior IP68 sealing, where the M12000 will not. Both will have contactor control, line speed is going to be different. Rope anchor is easier to attach on the ZEON, clutch lever will be easier to use, too. ZEON will be less expensive in most cases, too.

- Andy

I just ordered the Zeon 10 with a MasterPull LCP 3/8"x100" Synthetic and Hawse Fairlead. I am fitting it on a Slee Shortbus for my '96 LC. I don't know if the solenoid box will fit in the shortbus, but I'm gonna try. I am also about .1 inches too tight on the depth tolerance........we might have to pull out a plasma cutter and notch my new Slee Shortbus Bumper. I will post pictures when I install in a few days. This is a REALLY tight fit, but that could be a good thing.

Mixi, please keep us posted on your SLEE/Zeon install... I have been considering this combo as well.

YOMV.

I have two Warn XD900I winches. I bought one new in 1993 and got the other from a friend. He purchased the second winch new in 1992. I have used the crap out of both of these winches and they are still going strong. One mounted on my Z71 and the other on my FJ40. These winches are 20 years old and I have never had one fail me yet or need repairs. I can still easly get parts if needed and Warn Customer Service is Excellent. How many of these cheap winches do you think will still be running strong in 20 years? If you really are going to use a winch get Warn. If you just need something to look cool, buy cheap.

Short Bus

Did you get it on the Short Bus yet? :popcorn:

I think the dude was bluffin about ordering it or he would of posted up.

;) I guess it's easy to get sucked in (or suckered maybe) when you aren't all that familiar with winches. You tend to go with a name you know...which you inherently trust more. It's not necessarily the right thing to do, but it's human nature.

I just don't want to get stuck again for 6+ hours. So I think...would a "premium" winch from a company I know be reliable and get me out of trouble? Or, maybe "heavy duty"?

In the process of evaluating my options, I also came across Engo winches, which seem to get good reviews, but their name is new to me, and so I wonder if they're reliable.

Ive got an ENGO 10K on a Metaltech bumper on an 80. It was free with the bumper.

So far Ive pulled a 40 series up a ledge after an electrical short/fire disabled it..And pulled one of our Sprinter 2500 ambulances out of the sand after it got stuck and a towing company refused to pull it.

It worked fine. Its loud and made some strange noises under load but still pulled/worked great. A little surface rust is showing on the clutch handle and the solenoids are wired backward in the box. On the remote out is in and vise versa.

It looks nearly identical to a Harbor Freight 10k I saw mounted recently. Same solenoid box, remote, appearance etc.

Your paying for two things with Warn IMO.

#1 Made in USA
#2 Availability of parts in the future.

For some this means something for others not. After owning a Chinese winch initially to save money I now much prefer my Warn 12K. After my first winch failed a second time and parts no longer being available I found a used 12K and never looked back. I'm confident I'll be able to source anything I need down the road if it should ever fail. Same for the used M8274 I'm getting ready to rebuild for my 40.

Now back to Lord Vader's new winch line.

#1 Made in USA
#2 Availability of parts in the future..

not sure about the first one .. and maybe that does not matter that much these days .. ( yeah .. let's debate ) but the second one it's definitely key component in this equation ..

not sure about the first one .. and maybe that does not matter that much these days .. ( yeah .. let's debate ) but the second one it's definitely key component in this equation ..

Made in USA... no reason for a debate. My statement is not intended to imply that automatically makes the product better. Only that for some consumers that can influence their buying decision for any number of reasons.

Only that for some consumers that can influence their buying decision for any number of reasons.

that makes totally sense .. my statement was related to fact that most products you see in the market today are not necessary made in the place of your preference .. still can be good product or the only option to buy.

here it is, a Zeon 8S in a short bus. Spotted this at near the dinner/raffle tent during Cruise Moab a few weeks ago. Now I know exactly what my plans are.

ps view.jpg

ds view.jpg

top.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom