New to this and new (to me) LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's up!

I am new to this forum so I thought I should introduce my new baby. I just picked up a '97 Lexus LX450 yesterday. From the research I did, I am pretty sure I got a pretty good deal. It's got 155k on it, drives smoothly, but there's a few negatives here and there. Emergency brake doesn't work, driver's seat is off the rails(I know that's an easy fix), It passed smog a few days before I got it, and had a lot of preventative maintenance service records. The paint I'm not too worried about because I was planning on repainting it anyways but it's got minor scratches all around and 2 small pressure dents on one of the doors. CDL engages in L(I would love to hear people's thoughts on the 7 Pin mod, I was planning on doing it). NO RUST! I was super happy about that and did a thorough inspection before I bought it. I think that's all I've got for now, just wanted to introduce my new baby to the people who will be guiding me in all things 80 related. Please ask me more questions about it! I took more pictures but I guess you can only attach 5.
20201103_101157.jpg
20201103_101202.jpg
20201103_101206.jpg
20201103_101211.jpg
20201103_101218.jpg

I applaud your enthusiasm, welcome to Mud. Installation of a CDL push button switch is an inexpensive and worthwhile thing to add but, in my opinion, unless you plan to do some serious rock crawling with non-selectable differential lockers, the pin 7 mod won’t serve much purpose. I run air lockers and 37” tires and do go rock crawling and have yet to feel that the pin 7 mod was missed. Being able to at least unlock the diff’s helps a lot when all four tires are on a clean dry slab and a sharp turn is required.

So it’s true that chrome wheels were available. Very nice rig!

What's up!

I am new to this forum so I thought I should introduce my new baby. I just picked up a '97 Lexus LX450 yesterday. From the research I did, I am pretty sure I got a pretty good deal. It's got 155k on it, drives smoothly, but there's a few negatives here and there. Emergency brake doesn't work, driver's seat is off the rails(I know that's an easy fix), It passed smog a few days before I got it, and had a lot of preventative maintenance service records. The paint I'm not too worried about because I was planning on repainting it anyways but it's got minor scratches all around and 2 small pressure dents on one of the doors. CDL engages in L(I would love to hear people's thoughts on the 7 Pin mod, I was planning on doing it). NO RUST! I was super happy about that and did a thorough inspection before I bought it. I think that's all I've got for now, just wanted to introduce my new baby to the people who will be guiding me in all things 80 related. Please ask me more questions about it! I took more pictures but I guess you can only attach 5.View attachment 2485316View attachment 2485317View attachment 2485319View attachment 2485320View attachment 2485321
Super nice truck amigo, especially with that mileage. Those chrome wheels are SWEET!

Im in love with the chrome

$10,500
Wow. That’s officially a SCORE for you. I assume not locked, but that’s ok with very low mileage, no rust and those wheels. Great start. I’d be inclined to keep that more original than modded. I have an LX450 that just turned 150K mi this summer. PM me if you want to make a deal on those wheels (I’ll swap you my stock Lexus wheels +)...

Wow. That’s officially a SCORE for you. I assume not locked, but that’s ok with very low mileage, no rust and those wheels. Great start. I’d be inclined to keep that more original than modded. I have an LX450 that just turned 150K mi this summer. PM me if you want to make a deal on those wheels (I’ll swap you my stock Lexus wheels +)...
Correct, unlocked. I had no idea the chrome wheels were rare. My plans for it were never major, just a small lift, maybe a brush guard and new running boards. One of the wheels is missing the cap so I'm guessing its going to be hard to find a chrome replacement. Great. Thanks for the info but I think im going to be keeping the chromies

What I can say about the chrome wheels is keep them clean when in areas that use salt or mag chloride in the winter, or they will pit.

Forget the brush guard - they cause more body damage then they prevent if you actually hit something with them. Unless you mean a real winch bumper with hoops, like an ARB or ironman.

Nice looking cruiser. I did the 7 pin mod on mine when I got and it was a useful tool in the tool box. For instance, if you want to put it in low range to creep down a mountain road, or pull a boat trailer up a concrete ramp.

I use the pin 7 mod for keeping the TC unlocked as often as locking it.
Some times I just want low range without locking the front and rear end together. I find it useful.
That's a good looking rig. I've always liked dark colour vehicles.
Oh and....Welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Welcome! :flipoff2:

If you haven’t found it yet, head over to the the local San Diego community forum for local assistance and the opportunity to get involved with a very active local club.

CA- Beach-n-Toys

I have never been a fan of chrome but I must admit, those wheels look very nice! Definitely keep those. Congrats on your low mileage 80.

Nice Reg
SCORE. Its 5 pictures pre post. And we're a visual crowd under the hood pictures and undercarriage let's see them.

Welcome to MUD !!

Very nice truck!! I didn’t know chrome wheels were an option either. First ones I’ve seen. You’ve found a unicorn of sorts.

What color are you going to paint it? Staying with 2-tone? I have an green LX and often wish I had a lighter color to keep the cab cooler.

I agree about forgetting the brush guard. There are other options that are stronger and look much better.

Welcome to MUD !!

Very nice truck!! I didn’t know chrome wheels were an option either. First ones I’ve seen. You’ve found a unicorn of sorts.

What color are you going to paint it? Staying with 2-tone? I have an green LX and often wish I had a lighter color to keep the cab cooler.

I agree about forgetting the brush guard. There are other options that are stronger and look much better.
Originally my plan was to paint it the light blue color that toyota has for some new Tacomas but after 2 months of owning it I really like the black so im probably just going to either buff out the current paint or get a new clear coat on it. I really want to keep a clean look. Maybe a ironman 4x4 4" lift and ow profile bumpers.

Originally my plan was to paint it the light blue color that toyota has for some new Tacomas but after 2 months of owning it I really like the black so im probably just going to either buff out the current paint or get a new clear coat on it. I really want to keep a clean look. Maybe a itonman 4x4 4" lift and ow profile bumpers.

Also after 2 months I've fixed the drivers seat gears, put some 33" bfgs on, new rotors and pads, and a 2000 mile trip to Utah. It was a blast in the snow.

Originally my plan was to paint it the light blue color that toyota has for some new Tacomas but after 2 months of owning it I really like the black so im probably just going to either buff out the current paint or get a new clear coat on it. I really want to keep a clean look. Maybe a ironman 4x4 4" lift and ow profile bumpers.

Heck of a deal. Great base vehicle to start with.

IF you plan on running a 33"-35" tire on it you might consider just a 2.5" lift. A 4" lift is quite a bit. Might search the forum for pics.

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum.

Flint.

Nice Reg
SCORE. Its 5 pictures pre post. And we're a visual crowd under the hood pictures and undercarriage let's see them.
Heck of a deal. Great base vehicle to start with.

IF you plan on running a 33"-35" tire on it you might consider just a 2.5" lift. A 4" lift is quite a bit. Might search the forum for pics.

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum.

Flint.
I've already got 33s with the stock height so I was thinking that I would get 35s when I lift it 4". I'll look a some pics of 4" with 35s to see if that what im looking for.

Great looking Lexus yo got there my man!

and for 10k? Good deal too. Welcome to hel... I mean 'MUD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom