New to the game: fresh owner of a 99 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:-D nope, surely not! Have them laying around here but didn’t offer them yet :)

Hey guys

I was reading along your lines already for a few weeks/ months and the forum helped me to choose the right LC model: so thanks for that! :)
Just yesterday I bought a 1999 LC, 269k miles, nicely serviced and 20 years owned by the same lady, all life in California, ...

Quite some stuff has already been done in the past 1-2 years like alternator, battery, water pump/ timing, T pieces have been replaced with metal ones, new transmission cooler, ...
The paint is a little faded, but my first quick shot of polishing looks very promising and I don't have the typical clear peal :)
I'll add pics along my hours on the new ride.

I've been working for a few years on my Ford E350 including lifting, diff lock and regearing, full repaint, transmission overhaul, ... So I'm not new to working on cars as a hobby, but the LC will a new adventure.
Main reason to buy one is that our 2WD locked van is nice and fun, but after a few years doing the full PCOR, going on some more rugged rides like Leavitt Lake, CA, Toquerville Falls, Death Valley... we're ready to move into more rugged terrain where the van just doesn't fit :)

First action items will be a proper cleaning, spark plugs, coils, replace ALL fluids, brake pad/ caliper/ line check check, fuel filter, new radio, check why the sun roof gets stuck open in winter but works in summer, ... so the normal topics.
Once done I'll move on with suspension, tires and front bumper for winching and from there we'll see where we go.

I guess that's it as intro and I'll now raise my first questions in the respective threads :)
Congratulations on your “new” ‘99. I have had my ‘99 for nearly 20 years and love it. Regarding your laundry list, don’t worry about plugs and coils unless they stop working. I decided to replace mine a few months ago after one of the coils failed and got a shock at the price of OEM replacements. Believe it or not, my plugs and coils were original and the plugs looked great after 194k miles and only the one coil tested out of spec. Toyota calipers are also a pretty penny and unless they are causing problems, I wouldn’t worry about them. I have Stoptec rotors, pads and brakelines and those DO make a difference. Post some pix when you get a chance and enjoy one of the best and most reliable vehicles on the trail.

Didn't want to wait too much longer and started ordering :)

CruiserTeq: Tie Rod Ends, 555 Lower Ball Joints, both bushings, Sway bar Refresh Kit
Slee: Diff Drop
Nitro: UCAs
Exit Offroad: Dobinson C56-167, Dobinson IMS extended travel front, Dobinson MRA rear

Torsion Bars are going to stay stock for now and I'll see how they perform cranked up. Easy to swap, so no need to do it right away.

Pickup up my wheels from SCS tomorrow, tires should also come in this week.

In case weather goes right, I will kick off the refresh this weekend :)
Torsion bars get real stiff when cranked. I have OME bars and they’ve worked well and kept the highway and trail ride supple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom