New to me: '66 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got black (tan) lung trying to remove the bondo. LOL

I'll save them for you if you'd like. You can keep them for your next project. The only piece I'm keeping is the fuel filler opening. I'll graph that into the new skin.

Unfortunately, I could only work on the 40 on Saturday. Family reunion today...:bang:

It was a little more involved than I expected (nothing new). Worked for about 9 hours and I'm almost done prepping the passenger side quarter panel.

qpr1-1.jpg

At this point, I had most of the sheetmetal (I mean sheet material, huh Sean :)) I was able to save the inside fender top for a template for the outside support as seen in the next photo.

qpr1-2.jpg

All I did was cut slots into the angle iron, bend to form the radius, and weld it up.

qpr1-3.jpg

Here it is with the welds ground flat. I still need to make one for under the top rail.
These won't be welded in place until I have the new quarter panel tacked in place to ensure a good fit. The reason I'm making these is to have some thicker material to weld the quarter panel to. The angle iron will be tied together top and bottom and run down to the angle supports I have surrounding the underside of the tub.

qpr1-4.jpg

I also added some 2" tubing to the vertical support at the bed opening.

qpr1-6.jpg

I rough cut the fuel filler out of the old quarter and sandblasted it. I'll be graphing it into the new quarter once everything is mounted.

That's it. That was 9 hours. I didn't get far.

Now all I have to do is open up the radius on the new quarter a little and get it mounted. Will hopefully be done with it by Friday evening if I get off work early enough during the week.

I should be able to do the whole drivers side in one day with the lessons I've learned on this side. We'll see.

Till next installment.... See 'ya!

Man, you're nuts. I like what you are doing. I'm gonna read every post but, you're nuts.

Hey, if it was easy, everyone would do it. I like a challenge.
As far as being nuts, you'd have to ask my shrink about that... :D

Well, I got the panel in place. All I have left is to finish the bracing and get it welded in. Then on to the drivers side. Here are a couple of pics:

QPR2-1a.jpg

Fits pretty good.

QPR2-2a.jpg

Besides the bracing on the back side, I'm going to try and weld along the top to make it look like the original seam. This should be fun. Welding 16ga to 3/16" plate. Hope to get the welding done by COB on Friday.

I'll start on the other side after work on Saturday...

Bill, you get major props for this work. Amazing. Or, as I've seen elsewhere around this board, "Strong work." Keep it up. :beer:

Thanks all. Got the supports in last night. It's welded in except for the very top along the rail. I'll get started on the other side tonight. Have a little tweaking to do before finalizing all the welds and that will be it with the tub.

Well, got a little more done today. I wish I had more time to spend on this thing...

Final welding of drivers side rear quarter:
lr1.jpg

Same, after grinding down the welds:
lr1a.jpg

Another view welded:
lr2.jpg

Another view after grinding:
lr2a.jpg

Rear welded:
lr3.jpg

After grinding:
lr3a.jpg

Still need to fill in a few small places where I missed some tacks, but it's getting there. It's not easy welding the original metal (14-16GA) to 3/16" plate. It's getting easier as I go.

Here are a few of the sandblasted frame. I took the front shock towers/mounts off today (after taking this photo). Will start setting up the suspension next weekend if all goes well..
frame.jpg

frame2.jpg

Till next time...

Thanks Andy! 8 months seems like a long time. Now I need to figure out my shackle reversal, cut and turn and spring over. This will be uncharted territory to me. Worst I can do is do it wrong and have to do it over I guess.

Well, a little over a month has passed and I'm making a little headway. Parts are starting to trickle in.
Here are some current photos:

92308-1.jpg

Got the springs outboarded, shackles reversed and springs flipped. Going to drill a new center hole in the springs to bring the axle back closer to the original location.

92308-2.jpg

A little closer look at the rear hanger. Looks to be strong enough but I'll probably add a few gussets to it to be on the safe side.

92308-3.jpg

View from the front. I just got the saginaw mounting plate for the drivers side and I'll be boxing the frame on this side.

92308-4.jpg

I'll be adding a Traction Bar and I've been told that the cross-member isn't strong enough. So here is a photo of my plan. Tubing is 1-1/2"D x 1/4" wall (was a real bi#@h to bend with a Harbor Freight bender). Center supports are made out of the same. Outer plates are 1/4". Think it'll be strong enough?

92308-5.jpg

Another angle...

92308-6.jpg

Slight problem here. Having a hard time getting the springs to seat. May have to heat them a little.

I'm still waiting on some things from suppliers. Once I get the above spring perch ground down and get the axle slid under, I'll be dropping the engine in (temporarily) so I can get the pinion angles set. Then I will start the cut&turn.

I got a complete saginaw hardware kit from Kurt @ CruiserSolutions so I'm ready to go on that.

With everything in and measured, I'll be able to get my measurements in to 4x4Labs and get the highsteer kit on order.

Getting closer but still have a ways to go.

i wouldn't suggest trying to drill new holes in the springs, it'll be a major pita, destroy drill bits, and weaken the springs...just redrill your spring perches and ubolt plates, or leave it the way it is, it helps your approach angle and just looks better to have the springs flipped;)...otherwise, looks good:beer:

bumpity-bump-bump, bumpity-bump-bump...

Look at kb3gun go....

Update?

Been done for a couple of months now. Decided to do it again.:D
Work took over the project for awhile. Planning to get back to it over X-mas.

Great work, have you made any progress on this thing? I am going to be tackling the same project here in a couple months (saginaw, outboarding for FJ60 axles, and replacing quarters) and will definitely be referring to your pictures for help. Thanks for posting them up:cheers:

Thanks EWheeler!
No real new progress yet. Very busy at work. Just some small things here and there. Just picked up a new plasma cutter last week (better late than never). Been a bit cold in the garage even with the heater the last few weeks. Once it gets back into the 20's, I'll get back at it. I'll be POR15'ing the frame and getting the tub back on next. Then dropping the engine back in (for the weight) so I can get the pinion angle set for the cut and turn. I'll wait till the engine is in before mounting the saginaw and cutting the hole thru the crossmember for the shaft.

On an other note: My FJCruiser lost some teeth on the rear ring so I'll be working on that for the next week or two (waiting on parts). 2.5 years old with under 18,000 miles. Dealer (Laurel Toyota of Johnstown, PA) denied warranty. Stated it was abuse from all my mudding?!? Last time I wheeled was at CMCC... in July. (if you don't count the snow and ice covering the paved roads in town) Did I mention the dealers name? Laurel Toyota (Also Laurel Scion and BMW) of Johnstown, PA.

Good luck on your project! It's been a blast so far. Just remember to take your budget for the rebuild, and double it. Well worth it in my book though. Make sure you start a thread on your build.

-Smitty

What was that dealer's name again?

HaHa!
Laurel Toyota of Johnstown, PA. Part of the Laurel Auto Group.
Google bots, do your stuff!!

OK. What am I doing wrong?
The engine mounts aren't lining up. It's off by about 1/2". I can elongate the hole in the frame mount, but if I have something off, I'd rather not make it worse. If it looks right, let me know and I'll break out the drill.

View from center:
em-c.jpg

Right (drivers) side:
em-r.jpg

Left (passengers) side:
em-l.jpg

For those new to this thread, it's a 1982 2F going into a '66 frame.

Now, on another note, which way is UP on the motor mounts? One side has a stud (currently facing up but I only have a few threads showing. May be upside down) and the other side uses a bolt. The bolt side also has a small flange that wont allow the mount to fit flush with the frame mount.
These came with the '66. Looking at SOR, the style might have changed a little after 1980. Do I need different mounts?

Thanks all. Great way to spend a vacation day off from work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom