New to Land Cruisers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure where to post this but I like the 80 series. We would like to get into a Land Cruiser and are looking at importing one. We’ve been driving a van for 20 years and my wife and I really like the look of some of the LC’s and we’re thinking of using one as a daily driver. Just wondering if I’m getting in over my head. I do all my own repairs, but not engine rebuilds. We live in an area with mountains all around us and lots of snow in the winter. Any kind thoughts appreciated.

Slee Offroad has some great info on their site regarding the 80 series. They are old, often overhyped, and require maintenance. Only you can really determine whether you should get one.

With these being old you never really know what you are getting and importing one has its own issues.

Being in BC you have a lot of options for importers but I don't know if they have any 80 series stock on the lot. You would rather import yourself? I've found that you can find trucks that someone else imported for cheaper than importing yourself because prices in Japan have gone up by so much in recent years.

Agree with @JoeCova . Generally speaking LCs are great and the 80 in particular contains an excellent balance of durability, usability and simplicity in my opinion. Specific, individual LCs can run the range of terrible to wonderful based on rust, damage, neglect, abuse, etc. There are always going to be better options for transportation per one or more metric and only you can decide if an LC is the right balance of costs/benefits for what you are wanting and how you will use it overall.

Doing your own work is a huge plus and the best way to own and operate any older vehicle in my opinion but be sure that you'll have the time and $$ to care and feed for an 80 which will often require a relevant amount of up front investment.

My advice is to read up on the forum, watch some videos, kick some tires and do some test drives over the course of a few months, maybe even a year+. Enjoy the process of figuring out what you want in an automobile and give yourself some time to get through the initial excitement about LCs that could cause you to make the wrong move. See if you can learn from others that have owned LCs long term in your area, gone through the import process, etc. After some time has passed and you know more you can decide if you want an LC, which flavor you want or if some alternative is a better fit. LCs seem to really shine when they are owned a very long time (my opinion) as that's when you get to make the most of the durability and get a good return on the investment. If you plan to own one for a really long time there doesn't need to be a rush to buy it and you'll be glad you learned about all of the little options and details before you dove in.

I have a hard time believing you have to import an 80 into Canada to have one...it's not like Toyota didn't sell any there. The JDM or other areas models aren't going to offer you anything you can't get in a Canada spec model. Except maybe desert air, and I also have a hard time beliveing you're going to need that.

it's not like Toyota didn't sell any there

Actually only the LX was sold in Canada so no 80-series before 95 so I image the total availability of was quite limited, which makes the imports a significant number of the total population.

Interesting. So everyone up there driving an 80 bought them in the US?

Well if it is a Land Cruiser is was imported from somewhere, mostly Japan. I would take a guess that there are very few "FJ" petrol LHD models, but mostly "HJ" diesel RHD models. If would be interesting to get some stats

I have thought about finding something with under 100- 150,000 km. Thinking this would give me a few year without too many repairs. However, I speculate that even with low mileage, it is still a 30yo vehicle and may just have repairs that come with age. Finding something with in Canada is very limited so I think importing is a reasonable option. Used vehicle are hard to find and at a premium right now and of course interest rates are high for buying new. I have been considering buying through a broker who would cover all paper work and get it to port. As I am new to this I haven’t been aware of the increase price in these vehicles but it looks like I can get into something decent for $20-30k landed. Not sure how this compares to previous years but that doesn’t really matter anymore. I recently test drove the 4runner trail and thought it seemed short on power and of course still close to $60k after taxes.

There are two main approaches. Pay a premium for a low mileage 80, hoping to put off some of the same repairs/maintenance for a few years... or don't worry much about the odometer, find a clean, non-neglected example for less, and do the repairs as you go. Keep in mind mileage alone is often an illusion, regarding what it says about condition. The fact that these are all 26+ years old is a more important factor. You're unlikely to save money by spending a lot more for an odometer with a lower number.

I recently test drove the 4runner trail and thought it seemed short on power and of course still close to $60k after taxes.
Have you driven an 80? 😜 If you think a new 4Runner is underpowered, well...

Last edited:
There are two main approaches. Pay a premium for a low mileage 80, hoping to put off some of the same repairs/maintenance for a few years... or don't worry much about the odometer, find a clean, non-neglected example for less, and do the repairs as you go. Keep in mind mileage alone is often an illusion, regarding what it says about condition. The fact that these are all 26+ years old is a more important factor. You're unlikely to save money by spending a lot more for an odometer with a lower number.

...have you driven an 80? 😜
Have not driven an 80…or any LC…

That’s correct, with the exception of JDM and European imports.

We lost Land Cruisers at the end of the FJ62, but we had diesel Cruisers😬

Its good that you can do some work your self. It us after all a 30 year old vehicle but it sounds like you are aware of that. But you really should find one and drive it. In my opinion it wount drive at all like a new 4runner. I DD mine and am perfectly happy with it. But yes it is under powered and it handles like a sold axle truck. Its not too bad if you make the suspension fresh and have good alignment numbers. But your expectations will determine if you are happy with it.

Also mountain passes are not great in my 80. Mine is geared basicly right and weighs in at 6100lb. So not heavy but not stock. Teton pass near where i live is about 10% grade and goes up to 8300'. I can do it but it is stressfull and i am going way slower than everyone else. Some knowledge people have told me to dop it in 2nd and let it rev. I trust them but its still hard for me to do so i just go slow. If i had to a pass like this regularly i might consider a different vehicle.

Kind of the same thing on the hiway. Mine is much happier at around 70mph on flat road. Where i am the speed limit is 80. I just let people go around me. It will go faster but it is working harder. Wind blows it around some and uphill i am not holding a steady 70mph. But i also wont drive it WOT. I am usually not in that big of a hurry.

See if you can test dive one and see what you think. With stocksh size tires, good alignmnet,little lift, sock weight, fresh suspension (bushings, shocks, tie rods) they can drive really nice. Build one out and they can still be really good. But it does change in my opinion.

Just wondering if I’m getting in over my head.

Spend some time reading and searching in this forum.

There's loads of great assistance.

Being able to do repairs yourself gives you a good head start.

There's also loads of threads by people who bought an 80 naively and really are in over their heads

One thing that isn't the end of the world, but is worth mentioning is that all of the rubber bits are going on 30 years and degrade over time. Hard, leaking, cracking hoses, bushings, seals etc are commonplace. I would plan on this time and expense and address it proactively before it becomes a problem on any 80 that hasn't been kept up with.

Are you looking to import from US or elsewhere?

A US spec 80 in stock condition is about the same weight as a new 4Runner with approximately 60 HP less, so obviously the power factor will be lacking in this comparison to a vehicle you're already disappointed with. You definitely should look for an opportunity for a test drive. I'm happy with the way my unmodified 80 performs. As a daily driver, bear in mind that fuel economy is poor.

The driver's seat doesn't have much legroom for tall persons, requiring a modification to the seat bracket.

Thank you for all the comments! I really appreciate you all taking the time. I will try to test drive when I find someone who has one. Are there models you may recommend over the 80 that may fit our apple better? Also how would you compare the diesel to the gas (both 6 and 8 cyl)?

Thank you for all the comments! I really appreciate you all taking the time. I will try to test drive when I find someone who has one. Are there models you may recommend over the 80 that may fit our apple better? Also how would you compare the diesel to the gas (both 6 and 8 cyl)?

Have you looked into the 100 series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom