New to the Land Cruiser Community (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there, this is my first post here and looking for some advice for my newly purchased 1992 Landcruiser. Im 18 and know very little about mechanical work on cars and wanted to get into it. My close friend and his dad have been building a 96 land cruiser for as long as I remember and convinced me to purchase one of my own. I don't really know where to start or which things I should look at first. I bought the car with 225,000 miles on it and it runs great. The previous owner had the car lifted with a OME lift and put it on Bf Goodrich Km2's which are currently dry rotting and struggling to hold air and has 4.88 gears in it. Just looking for some advice on where to start with the project! I attached a photo of the car as well

IMG_1519 (1).jpg

Nice looking rig! Hopefully the previous owner documented some of the maintenance on it to give you a good starting point on maintenance. Get a Toyota service manual, replace the tires, and wait until something needs to be fixed.

Welcome!

In this order:
Make it stop
Make it steer
Make it run and drive well
Add accessories

X2 on getting the FSM - armed with this and with a bit of investment in tools, you'll have a solid truck.

Replace fluids, brake fluid is always neglected, differentials, oil change, transmission fluid. Check brake pads and drive it like you stole it. Don’t waste money on replacing a ton of parts. If the item looks worn IE rubber hoses replace if it looks good run it. You could drop $5k on parts that don’t need replaced or be smart and watch your temps and replace as needed. Good luck you bought an awesome ride but it’s old and requires some user insight.

Try to avoid the temptation of modifying it further and spend the money on trips with the car instead.

Get some basic tools that you can carry with you on trips and borrow the rest.

Figuring out why a door won't lock for example is not as glamorous as what's seen on YouTube but it improves your car and your skills

Last edited:
Good on you for wanting to learn to do the mechanical work yourself.

Good advice above.

Fix those tires ASAP.
Change all the fluids.

Then drive it.

The FSM is available in the Resources section of the forum menu. Download it and start browsing.

Also, search the forum for threads on "baselining".
There's two ways to approach this. One is go all OCD, and sign over all you credit cards to your preferred Toyota parts supplier and replace everything that bolts, screws, or clips on.

Or,
Drive it, enjoy it.
Learn about the basic maintenance. Observe how it drives.
And slowly tackle some of the bigger PM / Baselining tasks.

These really don't need any modification to be able to get out and enjoy the outdoors with them. But is nearly 30 years old, is gonna need a certain amount of love and cash out into it.

Nice looking cruiser!

You have a 1992 which has the 3FE engine, it's a simple engine that's easy to work on and will deliver many miles of use if properly maintained. Since it is a 3FE and not a 1FZ you'll need to make that distinction when reading this forum and asking questions.

If possible, look into the maintenance history of this 80. Check the oil, transmission and radiator fluids.

Videos can be found online describing common issues with these trucks, and others on how to deal with them.

Get ready to fork out about $1000 for new tires. I guess with those gears and lift you will not want the stock size, more like 33". Do NOT swap out those wonderful OEM wheels for some ugly aftermarkets.

Post more photos! It's looking good so far.

When you have completed the steps above.
Find a life partner that will not ask you to sell this car before you get married!
Document your journeys, @landcrusher909 has been a great mentor for all of us on this...
Explore!
Last.... Dont keep the receipts...

Good advice from some savvy people above. Fluids first. Take a sample of the oil and send it to Blackstone labs Blackstone Laboratories Blackstone Laboratories - https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
This will give you a decent idea on the condition of the engine and some piece of mind. Unfortunately, unless you have the service records, you will not know how many miles are on the current oil cycle. So, after the oil change, change again after 3k miles and send in another sample.

Filters, 1 do not use Fram, not a good track record. Wix also did not have a great record with several issues reported here on MUD. If you search the net you will find a oil filter test/comparison. While it wasn't the best, it was readily available so I use the Mobil 1 filters. Religiously change the oil, type of oil is a huge black hole and will create a huge debate. If you stay on top of the oil changes any major manufacturer's product is good. No product is good if you neglect it.

Fuel filter probably should be changed as well. PITA to get to though. I know the others have said don't worry about the rubber but, as a piece of mind just check them, especially if it is the PHH. If the original clamps are on it, change it now.

Remember not to mix coolant types when changing the coolant. If it is green stay green, same with the red.

Get a cheap scanning tool and an app like Torque to read it. Can save time later and give an instant diagnosis.

Finally, read the FAQ on the site. Get to know the new girlfriend inside and out. Treat her right, she will return the favor.

Good advice from some savvy people above. Fluids first. Take a sample of the oil and send it to Blackstone labs Blackstone Laboratories Blackstone Laboratories - https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
This will give you a decent idea on the condition of the engine and some piece of mind. Unfortunately, unless you have the service records, you will not know how many miles are on the current oil cycle. So, after the oil change, change again after 3k miles and send in another sample.

Filters, 1 do not use Fram, not a good track record. Wix also did not have a great record with several issues reported here on MUD. If you search the net you will find a oil filter test/comparison. While it wasn't the best, it was readily available so I use the Mobil 1 filters. Religiously change the oil, type of oil is a huge black hole and will create a huge debate. If you stay on top of the oil changes any major manufacturer's product is good. No product is good if you neglect it.

Fuel filter probably should be changed as well. PITA to get to though. I know the others have said don't worry about the rubber but, as a piece of mind just check them, especially if it is the PHH. If the original clamps are on it, change it now.

Remember not to mix coolant types when changing the coolant. If it is green stay green, same with the red.

Get a cheap scanning tool and an app like Torque to read it. Can save time later and give an instant diagnosis.

Finally, read the FAQ on the site. Get to know the new girlfriend inside and out. Treat her right, she will return the favor.

3FE so the PHH is a non-issue. Fuel filter may be on the passenger side inner fender, at least that's the placement in a FJ62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom