New to IH8MUD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to introduce myself. I bought my first FJ40 two days ago. It was a true "barn find," except it wasn't in a barn. I was walking my dogs in the hills about a mile from my house and saw it sitting beneath a pepper tree with 3 flat tires and moss growing on it. The owner since 1979 was working in the yard and I got to talking with him. It wasn't long before a deal was struck and I was trailering it back to my house. It is a 1971 FJ40 with the ORIGINAL engine, transmission (three on the tree), and hardtop. All of the lenses and nameplates are entact and it is wearing its original paint. It is totally complete, including the spare tire and all hub caps, and has never been in an accident. Since it spent it's whole life in Southern CA, it only has minor surface rust (no rust through anywhere, including beneath the floormats). I plan to do a complete frame off restoration with my 13 year-old son. Is there a way to get in touch with other FJ40 members geographically (ie. near Camarillo, CA)?
FJ40.jpg

Cool find - just shows the benefits of walking. Must be original - the bezel's correct. Welcome to Mud! :flipoff2:

Very nice FJ40. Welcome to the madness . . . :beer:

Welcome to MUD

Look for a tlca club near you... See link here: North American Clubhouses - West Region | IH8MUD Forum

Great looking cruiser.... The bumper only has a slight bend ... License plate holder is original and straight

Looks like a rollbar was added... Not original... But good to have :)

More pics :)
Thanks for the insight! Yes, there is a slight bend on the end of the bumper. There is also a palm-sized dent on the driver's side rear quarter panel beneath the little red lense. The previous owner said that he added the roll bar awhile back. The roll bar has a sticker on it that says "Smittybilt." I'll try to send some more photos soon...

Nice! I'm in LA and your 40 is very, very similar to the one I recently inherited (eerily similar). Like yours, mine is a '71, original engine, three on the tree, mostly original, and spent it's life in Bakersfield. I have no experience with 40s so can only offer moral support, but I plan to learn and fix mine up and enjoy it. Good luck to you!

Really cool story and incredible find - congrats. I have a 71 as well that I picked up recently very original including the paint. I'm doing some mechanical restoration stuff but plan on keeping it as original as possible. They are only original once.

Congratulations on your first Land Cruiser. It will be a terrific father/son project. Welcome to the madness! It's slippery slope you have happened upon!!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I bought my first FJ40 two days ago. It was a true "barn find," except it wasn't in a barn. I was walking my dogs in the hills about a mile from my house and saw it sitting beneath a pepper tree with 3 flat tires and moss growing on it. The owner since 1979 was working in the yard and I got to talking with him. It wasn't long before a deal was struck and I was trailering it back to my house. It is a 1971 FJ40 with the ORIGINAL engine, transmission (three on the tree), and hardtop. All of the lenses and nameplates are entact and it is wearing its original paint. It is totally complete, including the spare tire and all hub caps, and has never been in an accident. Since it spent it's whole life in Southern CA, it only has minor surface rust (no rust through anywhere, including beneath the floormats). I plan to do a complete frame off restoration with my 13 year-old son. Is there a way to get in touch with other FJ40 members geographically (ie. near Camarillo, CA)? View attachment 1233689
I'm in Thousand Oaks if you need help

Nice! I'm in LA and your 40 is very, very similar to the one I recently inherited (eerily similar). Like yours, mine is a '71, original engine, three on the tree, mostly original, and spent it's life in Bakersfield. I have no experience with 40s so can only offer moral support, but I plan to learn and fix mine up and enjoy it. Good luck to you!

Hope you make it to the swap meet/ rally in Bako on April 30. Lots of parts and info to be had.

Welcome! My first FJ40 was a '71, not all original because it had a late '70s 2F when I bought it. I've added Toyota mini-truck front disc brakes and power steering, and installed a 4-speed and transfer case from a '78 FJ55. But, as others have said, I'd keep yours as stock as possible.

Have fun on the restoration.

Congratulations on your cruiser. I'm in Oxnard/Ventura area and work in Camarillo. Feel free to contact me if you need help.

I love seeing finds like this, thats a great 40 congrats :)

Wow!!! Great story and great find!! I agree, try to keep it as original as you can. Half the fun is finding the parts and everyone here on MUD is extremely helpful and welcoming.

Welcome to MUD and welcome to 40 ownership!! Let the madness begin!!! :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom