New taillight lens - OEM or aftermarket (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question, I have an '86 (60) that is mostly original, short of the wheels, tires and OME. I just noticed that i have a broken taillight lens. What is the consensus on replacing it with an OEM lens, or getting two new aftermarket lenses, one for each side?

Aftermarket Made-in-Japan are pretty good, but hard to find, now.

I recently replaced mine with OEM and could not be happier with the quality. Especially compared to the aftermarket lenses I pulled off.

Quick question, I have an '86 (60) that is mostly original, short of the wheels, tires and OME. I just noticed that i have a broken taillight lens. What is the consensus on replacing it with an OEM lens, or getting two new aftermarket lenses, one for each side?

the right / correct answer is you ALWAYS replace both at the same time with 2 NEW OEM lenses ....

what does " Aftermarket " mean :rolleyes:

I would do OEM every time if available or if not, something aftermarket from Japan if possible.. as others have mentioned.

does anyone have a tailight part number for OEM? No worries if not I will search but it may be fresh for someone on this thread.

does anyone have a tailight part number for OEM? No worries if not I will search but it may be fresh for someone on this thread.

Go to PartSouq and plug in yor specific vehicle and bookmark it. It will then give you access to all the part numbers you'll need. I then take the # and plug it into my fav online Toyota dealer part site to check if available.
For example this is my '88 62 link.

Ok, so I went ahead and got the OEM from SOR. Looks great and kept my “originality”.

Thanks for the input!

I bought aftermarket a couple years ago ($24.99 FROM SOR) and it looks like the three colors on the tailight are glued together. I tightened it too tight and it split at the clear light junction between the red and clear. So now it is not water tight and the plastic has already cracked. My OEM lasted 35 years and have no distinctions between colors meaning it looked like it was all formed together not seperate colors glued together.

Edit; I ordered OEM off SOR. Lesson learned I payed twice now for same part. I went cheap first time and I am already replacing it two years later again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom