New restomod build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - I’m doing a resto mod build of a 89FJ62. I’m wondering what the best engine/trans combo is. I’m leaning towards a jasper reman - LQ9 and 4L85e. I’ve been reading up and I’ve a see ton of combos and everyone has opinions. If I’m honest this will be mostly a garage queen. I might put 5k miles on it a year - highway and city. I’m 99 percent sure I won’t be going off-roading but it will look like it wants to! 😀. Truck has been in my family since the dealer floor and want to make it awesome for the next generation.

the best engine and transmission combo is one that has never been near a Jasper facility

With @cruisermatt, the only acceptable engine swap is a LS, The cost it to do any other swap and or rebuild is still less than an LS swap.

hands down they are your most bang for your buck on the motor swaps. Cheaper than a rebuild on a 2f and waaaaay more power and modernization

no diesels..... the appeal is cool and that’s about it. Everyone wants power and SPEED

With @cruisermatt, the only acceptable engine swap is a LS, The cost it to do any other swap and or rebuild is still less than an LS swap.

hands down they are your most bang for your buck on the motor swaps. Cheaper than a rebuild on a 2f and waaaaay more power and modernization

no diesels..... the appeal is cool and that’s about it. Everyone wants power and SPEED

thanks, LS3 + 6L80 or 4 speed? I’m told 6’s are not as reliable. I also don’t plan on abusing or putting 100k on the engine. Thoughts?

thanks, LS3 + 6L80 or 4 speed? I’m told 6’s are not as reliable. I also don’t plan on abusing or putting 100k on the engine. Thoughts?

4l60e is more than enough trans for our rigs, no need to spend the extra money on “heavy duty parts” that are not needed, we don’t pull big great loads, nor do we go drag racing and launch our rigs off the line.

4.8l - ranger - stock 4 speed - 4.11’s - 35’s, love this combo

5.3 - h55 - 3.73 - 34’s, great stuff no splitter less hwy rpm

6.0 - 4l60e - 3.73 - 33’s, cruises just fine

turbo 3b - h55 - 3.73 - 33’s- torque monster and slow

350 - th400 - 3.73 - 29’s- small tires and v8 makes trail rigs unstoppable

there's too many horror stories of jasper for me to consider their product. i would lean towards an old school automotive machine shop to build my $h!t for me

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Any particular LS that is best price and reliability? I’m told look at the LQ9. Admittedly LS3 just sounds awesome.

LS3 with 4L65E Connect and Cruise package.
Did you ever get that 80 series roller you were looking for?

nal-s2020-78_xl.jpg

LS3 with 4L65E Connect and Cruise package.
Did you ever get that 80 series roller you were looking for?

nal-s2020-78_xl.jpg

yes! I got it - found a great roller and excellent shape in NJ. It’s getting torn down and built this spring.

Cool, the 60 body on an 80 roller with a swap is a great truck, you'll love it. I have built two so far with three more in the pipeline.
This on has an LS3/4L65E drive train. The other has a pull out 6.0L with an NV4500 5 speed manual.

92827975_3133656619998541_7179286110143512576_o.jpg

Cool, the 60 body on an 80 roller with a swap is a great truck, you'll love it. I have built two so far with three more in the pipeline.
This on has an LS3/4L65E drive train. The other has a pull out 6.0L with an NV4500 5 speed manual.

92827975_3133656619998541_7179286110143512576_o.jpg

freakin beautiful. That is work I am going for

Hey guys - I’m doing a resto mod build of a 89FJ62. I’m wondering what the best engine/trans combo is. I’m leaning towards a jasper reman - LQ9 and 4L85e. I’ve been reading up and I’ve a see ton of combos and everyone has opinions. If I’m honest this will be mostly a garage queen. I might put 5k miles on it a year - highway and city. I’m 99 percent sure I won’t be going off-roading but it will look like it wants to! 😀. Truck has been in my family since the dealer floor and want to make it awesome for the next generation.

This does not sound unlike me as I began my restomod research a bit over two years ago. Although I considered engine and 5-speed swaps, I ended up deciding to keep the OEM combo somewhat because they were still in pretty good shape and certainly adequate for the foreseen future utility (hanger queen/pleasure driver). That said, a lot of mods were done to give them extended life. You might thumb through my build thread pages to see the evolution. The first post sets up and summarizes the project. The only thing I'm considering now is the Nomad valve body mod to get better performance on mountainous roads. Builds - Sentimental Restoration of Family 1990 FJ62

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Any particular LS that is best price and reliability? I’m told look at the LQ9. Admittedly LS3 just sounds awesome.

gm 99-03 fly by cable motor....4.8-5.3-6.0 does not matter. All HUGE increases over stock 2f
Don’t get hung up on high dollar trans either. A 4l60e is more than enough for our rigs and come mated to that motor pretty commonly.

I'd opt for the 4L65E over the 4L60E. Basically improved all the weak areas of the 4L60E.

-5 pinion planetary gear sets
-hardened/shot peened turbine, stator and output shafts
-hardened sun gear
-hi-energy clutch packs
-extra clutch in 3-4 pack
-recalibrated valve body
-heavy duty low/reverse roller clutch
-factory deep pan
-stronger input shaft

Been a way a while but the work continues. I got a doner 96 80 and bought the connect and cruise LS3+6L80 (on sale at the time) from Karl’s Customs.
Here’s some photos of the build. Minimal rust and in pretty good condition.

IMG_2621.jpeg

DEE01288-FFDF-427A-B28B-1FD8AEFDD7C2.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

IMG_3168.jpeg

IMG_3166.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom