New LC owner asking advice for 35s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess I should clarify, which variable springs are you running? The 2” or 3” dobinson variable rate front and rear? Which shock are you running?

Sorry, I misspoke. They are the 2" tapered springs, front and rear. The vehicle sat pretty level when installed. Below is my data from the compiles suspension thread:

All measurements are center of hub to bottom of wheel flare.
OME 861/862 Ride Height Measurements: Front bumper: Slee & winch; Rear bumper: 4x4 Labs; No other armor.
Spacers: 1" Front and 10mm rear.
Driver Front: 21"
Pass Front: 21 5/8"
Driver Rear: 20.5
Pass Rear: 21 1/2"

Dobinson 2" Tapered Ride Height Measurements: Added white knuckle sliders, land shark drawers, and trail tailor belly skid
Spacers: 5/8" spacer on Driver Front and 10mm rear.
Driver Front: 22 5/8"
Pass Front: 22 5/8"
Driver Rear: 23 1/4"
Pass Rear: 23 1/4"

I have the icon 0-3" smooth body shock, but they limit my downtravel by about 2-3". My plan is to go with the slinky-spec icon shock to get that travel back. Hope this helps.

As she sat aftwerwards, loaded for a multi-day Moab trip.

TLC 1.jpg

tlc 2.jpg

Is there a preferred vendor for tough dog? I’ve never heard of them and surprised they are being reccomended over OME. I guess I need to figure out difference between dobinsons and tough dog.

@TRAIL TAILOR a.k.a Jason is the preferred vendor for Tough Dog

@David Otero is the preferred vendor for Dobinsons

If you decide to go with OME, then @cruiseroutfit is your guy.

You should PM or call them and tell them how you plan to use the truck and how much weight you plan to carry, and they will set you straight on what to buy.

Sorry, I misspoke. They are the 2" tapered springs, front and rear. The vehicle sat pretty level when installed. Below is my data from the compiles suspension thread:

All measurements are center of hub to bottom of wheel flare.
OME 861/862 Ride Height Measurements: Front bumper: Slee & winch; Rear bumper: 4x4 Labs; No other armor.
Spacers: 1" Front and 10mm rear.
Driver Front: 21"
Pass Front: 21 5/8"
Driver Rear: 20.5
Pass Rear: 21 1/2"

Dobinson 2" Tapered Ride Height Measurements: Added white knuckle sliders, land shark drawers, and trail tailor belly skid
Spacers: 5/8" spacer on Driver Front and 10mm rear.
Driver Front: 22 5/8"
Pass Front: 22 5/8"
Driver Rear: 23 1/4"
Pass Rear: 23 1/4"

Thank you so much! I am seriously considering these springs or OME. If I go with these, are the preferred shocks the dobinsons? Don’t have the cash for the icons and need a shock to go with these!

@TRAIL TAILOR a.k.a Jason is the preferred vendor for Tough Dog

@David Otero is the preferred vendor for Dobinsons

If you decide to go with OME, then @cruiseroutfit is your guy.

You should PM or call them and tell them how you plan to use the truck and how much weight you plan to carry, and they will set you straight on what to buy.

For sure, working on getting in contact with everyone. Thanks for the links! :)

I really liked my 4” Ome J springs with 315’s I thought it was the perfect setup.Way outta the 80 scene sold my 93 years ago but that was the go to for 35’s! Rode soo smoothly on the road and handled Rubicon many times.Full armor(Arb ft.w warn 12k,Metaltech sliders,& 4x4 labs rear swing out(best bumper ever made by Luke!)Fac.lockers.ect and on&on! Man hands down my favorite LC regret selling! Take care and enjoy your build,this is my 1st vist on the 80’s forum since selling.

I have the icon 0-3" smooth body shock, but they limit my downtravel by about 2-3". My plan is to go with the slinky-spec icon shock to get that travel back. Hope this helps.
I am for sure going with the 2.5” dual rate dobinson tapered springs, but struggling to figure out a good shock. Do you have a reccomendation that isn’t slinky to pair with these? Would OME 60070l/60071l be well suited to these?

Anyone is welcome to chime in on shock reccomendations :)

I am for sure going with the 2.5” dual rate dobinson tapered springs, but struggling to figure out a good shock. Do you have a reccomendation that isn’t slinky to pair with these? Would OME 60070l/60071l be well suited to these

I would def talk to @David Otero or @crikeymike about this. There has been good feedback on the dob shocks. It's prob the way i would have gone had i not had the Icons from the previous OME lift.

I would def talk to @David Otero or @crikeymike about this. There has been good feedback on the dob shocks. It's prob the way i would have gone had i not had the Icons from the previous OME lift.
Gotcha I have been in contact with David. I really appreciate the help!

good luck!

Hey OP - looks like you updted your sig line, where are the pics!?!

Suweeet! I've got Dobinsons Flexi coils en route. Did you get the caster plates welded up yet? I haven't decided how I'm handling caster.

Suweeet! I've got Dobinsons Flexi coils en route. Did you get the caster plates welded up yet? I haven't decided how I'm handling caster.
Yes I did (Wits end 2.5). You really need the drill outlined in instructions. Its really pricy. Go slow and don’t burn through your drill bits!

I'm running your tried-and-true OME 2.5" on 315/75/16s.

To make it drive as close to stock as possible, I've done the following:

-Caster correction plates, Metal Tech brand (immediate driving gratification)
-All new suspension bushings, literally every single part (immediate driving gratification)
-4.88 Nitro gears (immediate driving gratification)
-New tie-rods
-Adjustable panhard by ARB

Had I known about the Delta control arms, I would've gone down that route to maintain stock wheelbase and avoid drilling into the front axle as required by the caster plates.

Next in line is to install the Delta panhard bracket to better position the rear axle as a consequence of the 2.5" lift.

I'm not sure there's much more left I can do to improve driving dynamics on the jalopy. It drives straight and true already. I'm just looking to recover that last 10% to be the best I can be.

Good luck!

OEM+ look

Last edited:
I am sure someone has already mentioned or asked this, what do you plan on using the LC for?

When I lifted mine I went with the OME 2.5" medium and was not happy with the stink bug look. So I changed out my front springs for the 850J and the proper shocks. OME tends to be a little stiff but is bearable. Ride quality can be a factor of a few things, spring rate/stiffness, valving of the shocks, and tire ratings.

If I was to do it again I would go with the ICON 2.5" shocks with the CDCV and the Dobinisons 3" with the proper supporting equipment. The CDCV allows for 30% more adjustment than the standard ICON 2.5" shocks.

If I was to do it again I would go with the ICON 2.5" shocks with the CDCV and the Dobinisons 3" with the proper supporting equipment. The CDCV allows for 30% more adjustment than the standard ICON 2.5" shocks.

This is what I'm doing. Hang on while I google CDCV though...

The Delta Radius arms look cool and the price is just about right. Looks like they make 2" and 4" so not sure if us 3" guys should size up or size down. @Delta VS

Edit - I see looking through other threads that there isn't a straightforward answer

Last edited:

The Delta Radius arms look cool and the price is just about right. Looks like they make 2" and 4" so not sure if us 3" guys should size up or size down. @Delta VS

Edit - I see looking through other threads that there isn't a straightforward answer

The 4" arm is certainly the most popular, and most of the time it seems a 3" lift will net more than that. ICON 3" springs and the 4" arms put a rig right about 4* (need to get over to the alignment shop to verify our ghetto measurement method is working as expected). Personally, I would always size up on this stuff because I don't like twitchy steering.

you might think of spacers to push those wheels out a little too.

Zona

I am actually thinking of going with the Delta VS radius arms myself. I just got to get the shocks and spacers first.

My main reasoning behind going 3" is for 37s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom