New HZJ80 owner needs advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello ! I have quite some work to do on my HZJ80 and I wanted a few advice about what I can do :

Steering wheel fluid is leaking on the top from the reservoir, right now I didn't find solution to seal it again, never touched it. (Left side is dark). I have seen topics to overhaul the pump but not the reservoit
20230628_164111.jpg

On my OME lift kit, one suspension looks like it has been eaten by something, I need it needs replacement :

20230628_164447.jpg

What do you think of front axle ? One looks dry the other one has a bit of dark grease :

20230628_164251.jpg

20230628_164228.jpg

The hood close itself, I need to maintain it that; not cool :

20230628_163858.jpg

I have a list of other small issues : Safety belt not working, cannot open driver door from outside, etc... But I think those one issues are less important. Don't hesitate to recommend me a documentation on a sepcific repair. If by luck you know a very good mechanic in Panama I would be SUPER glad. Right now my only luck is this forum. Thanks in advance.

Also I cannot do
Hello ! I have quite some work to do on my HZJ80 and I wanted a few advice about what I can do :

Steering wheel fluid is leaking on the top from the reservoir, right now I didn't find solution to seal it again, never touched it. (Left side is dark). I have seen topics to overhaul the pump but not the reservoit
View attachment 3360567

On my OME lift kit, one suspension looks like it has been eaten by something, I need it needs replacement :

View attachment 3360568

What do you think of front axle ? One looks dry the other one has a bit of dark grease :

View attachment 3360569
View attachment 3360570

View attachment 3360573

Also I cannot balance/align my wheels. A guy told me a piece is moving too much and need to be replaced beforehand. Something that looks like to be directly connected with the steering wheel to move wheels side ways.
I have a list of other small issues : Safety belt not working, cannot open driver door from outside, etc... But I think those one issues are less important. Don't hesitate to recommend me a documentation on a specific repair. If by luck you know a very good mechanic in Panama I would be SUPER glad. Right now my only luck is this forum. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 3360567

View attachment 3360568

View attachment 3360569
View attachment 3360570

View attachment 3360573

I have a list of other small issues : Safety belt not working, cannot open driver door from outside, etc... But I think those one issues are less important. Don't hesitate to recommend me a documentation on a sepcific repair. If by luck you know a very good mechanic in Panama I would be SUPER glad. Right now my only luck is this forum. Thanks in advance.
The suspension needs immediate attention!

I would get an alignment performed to determine caster, it may have been lifted without caster correction, which puts springs etc. at a funny angle and they interfere with each other. That spring actually looks like it has been popped out and skidded down the road!

*********Most importantly, the truck could be very difficult to control if that is the case and should be addressed before anything else! There are several good threads on caster and what it should be on the forum.

Hood struts are an easy fix.

Front axles don’t look awful, but will need attention soon.

I can‘t see the power steering leak from the picture, likely needs a mechanics set of eyes in person to track down the leak!

The suspension needs immediate attention!

I would get an alignment performed to determine caster, it may have been lifted without caster correction, which puts springs etc. at a funny angle and they interfere with each other. That spring actually looks like it has been popped out and skidded down the road!

*********Most importantly, the truck could be very difficult to control if that is the case and should be addressed before anything else! There are several good threads on caster and what it should be on the forum.

Hood struts are an easy fix.

Front axles don’t look awful, but will need attention soon.

I can‘t see the power steering leak from the picture, likely needs a mechanics set of eyes in person to track down the leak!

Wow I appreciate a lot your help thank you ! Should I replace the shock absorber and/or spring ? Regarding the power steering leak you can see it's black on the left side of the reservoir. I'm afraid to do anything without a tutorial/manual, but I am just gonna look at it.

Power steering res: Those tend to weep, either over time or just matter of fact. You can replace the cap, but it's unlikely to change anything. Unless you can find an actual pinhole somewhere, and your steering turns as normal, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep the fluid level in check and you'll be good.
And too, the black stuff is just hydrocarbons that have stuck in the film of fluid on the res. It should wipe off.

Suspension: Just looks like a perished bump stop. No big deal to replace in terms of getting the part. May have to take the spring off to get to it tho. But this can be done when accomplishing the next little job. No need springs or shocks unless they are noticeably worn out.

Axle: It appears there are already caster plates in place. That's a good sign that the totality of the lift was actually performed correctly. The wet spots on the 'balls'... tend to indicate there may be diff fluid getting past the inner axle seal, mixing with the birfield grease (birfield is the component inside the ball) and weeping past the wipers (felt bits that wipe the ball as you steer left or right). It is common for this to occur over time and wear.
It is addressed with a knuckle rebuild which replaces all relevant seals, gaskets, and bearings inside each knuckle. The job 'sounds scary', but really it's not and can be performed in a day in a parking lot/car park. Only need a couple inexpensive tools other than a metric socket set to complete.

Hood struts: Easy and inexpensive fix. 20 minutes in the Panama sun. :beer:

The other items...I'd get the driver door looked at sooner than just about anything else. That would irritate the crap out of me. The seat belt may be important as well, depends on your thoughts on it.

Oh and Welcome!
And just my opinion, your truck looks in great shape from the pics. 👍

Power steering res: Those tend to weep, either over time or just matter of fact. You can replace the cap, but it's unlikely to change anything. Unless you can find an actual pinhole somewhere, and your steering turns as normal, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep the fluid level in check and you'll be good.
And too, the black stuff is just hydrocarbons that have stuck in the film of fluid on the res. It should wipe off.

Suspension: Just looks like a perished bump stop. No big deal to replace in terms of getting the part. May have to take the spring off to get to it tho. But this can be done when accomplishing the next little job. No need springs or shocks unless they are noticeably worn out.

Axle: It appears there are already caster plates in place. That's a good sign that the totality of the lift was actually performed correctly. The wet spots on the 'balls'... tend to indicate there may be diff fluid getting past the inner axle seal, mixing with the birfield grease (birfield is the component inside the ball) and weeping past the wipers (felt bits that wipe the ball as you steer left or right). It is common for this to occur over time and wear.
It is addressed with a knuckle rebuild which replaces all relevant seals, gaskets, and bearings inside each knuckle. The job 'sounds scary', but really it's not and can be performed in a day in a parking lot/car park. Only need a couple inexpensive tools other than a metric socket set to complete.

Hood struts: Easy and inexpensive fix. 20 minutes in the Panama sun. :beer:

The other items...I'd get the driver door looked at sooner than just about anything else. That would irritate the crap out of me. The seat belt may be important as well, depends on your thoughts on it.

Oh and Welcome!
And just my opinion, your truck looks in great shape from the pics. 👍
Good eye on the Caster plates, that makes me feel better about the OP’s starting point!

Oh and also, when you want some engine work diagnosis or help, check out the diesel forum here. You will get more relevant information there.

Good eye on the Caster plates, that makes me feel better about the OP’s starting point!
Shoot tho...I just noticed the missing ferrule for the caster plate on one side, as compared to the other side.
OP, get that addressed while you're in there. Should take little more than a piece of hollow steel tubing and bolt to go all the way thru. Take a look at the same location on the other side and you'll see what I mean.

20230628_164228.jpg

edit: what they did there, with 2 individual bolts, is actually ok in my opinion. Had they used a single long bolt instead, w/o the ferrule, that would need addressing.
As they did not, I think you're ok there and need not be hugely concerned.

Last edited:
Wow ! Thanks to everyone ! I will definitely listen to your advices so I can take care much as I can of that hzj80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom