New LC owner asking advice for 35s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this gets beat to death but I am overwhelming myself researching a lift for my LC. I am picking up a 93 LC tomorrow with 2 sets of rims, one stocker, and one with 35s. I need to lift the LC to run the 35s but its hard to find the information I need.

My question is: If you had a stock lc and 35s, what lift would you put on and why? What has worked well for you on road and offroad?

Build wise if it matters for a reccomendation, 4x4labs front bumper, winch, no tire carrier, and a roof rack with interior sleeping.

Help me make up my mind :).

You don't need a lift to run 35's. My current 80 has 315 Maxxis Mud Terrains with OEM suspension and it barely rubbed on a high washout in Blackwater. If it were me, I'd run a 3 inch Tough Dog lift or 2.5 inch Dobinsons.. nothing but great reviews from both. I've had OME in the past, wouldn't go back.

You do not NEED a lift to run 35's. You will need a lift IF you intend to rock crawl and flex it out hard, you will get some rubbing.

Stick with a 2.5" and under lift because you keep your center of gravity lower UNLESS you're doing serious rock crawling.

Once you go over the 2.5" lift, things go sideways fast. You will start looking at double cardan driveshafts, things make noise that shouldn't, U-Joints wear out quickly, you have steering issues that are hard to straighten out. Not that it cannot be done, but you MUST do work yourself and have an understanding of it. If not, stay 2.5" and under and just go to the mall........

You don't need a lift to run 35's. My current 80 has 315 Maxxis Mud Terrains with OEM suspension and it barely rubbed on a high washout in Blackwater. If it were me, I'd run a 3 inch Tough Dog lift or 2.5 inch Dobinsons.. nothing but great reviews from both. I've had OME in the past, wouldn't go back.

I don’t know much about dobinsons, ome seems to be the go to for many different people. Do you run dobbinsons?

You do not NEED a lift to run 35's. You will need a lift IF you intend to rock crawl and flex it out hard, you will get some rubbing.

Stick with a 2.5" and under lift because you keep your center of gravity lower UNLESS you're doing serious rock crawling.

Once you go over the 2.5" lift, things go sideways fast. You will start looking at double cardan driveshafts, things make noise that shouldn't, U-Joints wear out quickly, you have steering issues that are hard to straighten out. Not that it cannot be done, but you MUST do work yourself and have an understanding of it. If not, stay 2.5" and under and just go to the mall........

Have a reccomendation for a 2.5” lift?

2.5" OME with 35's. I like the ride and haven't needed anything more for the types of trails i've ran

Medium lift ome? What bumpstop are you running to prevent tires into the body.

@TankTheLC I've ridden in a few 80 series with the Dobinsons lift, rides good but IMO I'd go with Tough Dog if you have a bit more $$ to spend. I had TD on my LX450, rode like a Cadillac and flexed pretty well. Height was pretty consistent whether loaded or not. Like I said, can't go wrong with either

I don’t know much about dobinsons, ome seems to be the go to for many different people. Do you run dobbinsons?

Have a reccomendation for a 2.5” lift?

Medium lift ome? What bumpstop are you running to prevent tires into the body.

I run the 2.5" OME heavies, but I'm a Mall crawler with a wheelchair lit on the back and carry a ton of crap around all the time. And I run 33's.

Go here for more info:
Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more.

I currently have 50mm TJM Progressives, they work for 35's and a light-weight build, but probably too soft for most people's tastes.

I had OME heavy in the past and they were OK, but a little lacking in articulation (free spring height) and the ride may be too stiff for some people's tastes.

If I had to start from scratch, I would go with the Tough Dog or Dobinsons dual rate kits, or if I weren't such a cheap-arse, Slinky 50mm. OEM bushings (inspect yours to see if they're good and replace if necessary) with Landtank caster plates.

I can tell you now, this is going to turn into another one of "those threads"

Yeah the medium....and I haven't touched the bumpstops. Think I had a little rub
Thanks for the information, medium OME’s were my preference.
@TankTheLC I've ridden in a few 80 series with the Dobinsons lift, rides good but IMO I'd go with Tough Dog if you have a bit more $$ to spend. I had TD on my LX450, rode like a Cadillac and flexed pretty well. Height was pretty consistent whether loaded or not. Like I said, can't go wrong with either
I’ve never heard of tough dog so I guess it surprises me its better than OME. Whats the best tough dog vendor?
I run the 2.5" OME heavies, but I'm a Mall crawler with a wheelchair lit on the back and carry a ton of crap around all the time. And I run 33's.

Go here for more info:
Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more.
Thanks!
I currently have 50mm TJM Progressives, they work for 35's and a light-weight build, but probably too soft for most people's tastes.

I had OME heavy in the past and they were OK, but a little lacking in articulation (free spring height) and the ride may be too stiff for some people's tastes.

If I had to start from scratch, I would go with the Tough Dog or Dobinsons dual rate kits, or if I weren't such a cheap-arse, Slinky 50mm. OEM bushings (inspect yours to see if they're good and replace if necessary) with Landtank caster plates.

I can tell you now, this is going to turn into another one of "those threads"
Not trying to turn it into one of those threads. Is there a preferred vendor for tough dog? I’ve never heard of them and surprised they are being reccomended over OME. I guess I need to figure out difference between dobinsons and tough dog.

20181227_183439.jpg

Ome medium 2.5" on 35s. Never rubs. It's not as stink bug as it looks, back tire is in the ditch.

@TankTheLC Jason of Trail Tailor.. not sure if they are taking orders atm

I guess I’ll check in the AM. In the event they aren’t, got a dobinsons part number reccomendation for a lift? :D

Pretty sure they are closed until Feb. Website is closed as they have made all items unavailable / no stock.

As for 35's. If you plan to wheel, 2-3" is all you need. I have 33's on stock suspension with no rubbing. When I go 35" I will try to stay around 2.5" of lift. Dobinson, Icon, or something like that.

i run the dobinson 2.5" tapered coils and they have been fantastic both on and offroad, loaded and empty. Much better than my old OMEs.

i run the dobinson 2.5" tapered coils and they have been fantastic both on and offroad, loaded and empty. Much better than my old OMEs.
Do you have the part number of the kit? Do you have any photos?

Last edited:
I just bought a set of Tough Dog foam cells. I have an OME 2 1/2 med lift and was running a second set of OME shocks until recently.
The Tough Dogs are ok, not great but not bad. I switched because of the rumor OME shocks have been lacking in quality as of late and that's too bad. They matched pretty well with their lift kit. Tough Dog and OME shocks are the same price BTW. I've changed my shocks out at around 50k miles each time.

All the lifts will work with 35's. What your looking for in a lift is how you will outfit the truck. light, medium, heavy or and combination depending on what you add to truck. front bumper, winch, rear bumper, tire carrier. Loaded with tools and gear. Get the lift that goes with the amount of weight your cary. I use heavy front and rear because of all the mods on my truck. If i just had front bumper i might have gone med/light. no bumpers then lights. Its ride quality your looking for. Heavy's on an empty truck will rattle your teeth.

What shocks do you run with your Dobinson’s?

Even with new OEM shocks my stock height OMEs with 1.5” spacers are brutal when my rig is empty.

Last edited:
I guess I should clarify, which variable springs are you running? The 2” or 3” dobinson variable rate front and rear? Which shock are you running?

Edit: spelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom