New Hubcap installation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is there a trick to getting the hubcaps installed on new wheels, already scratched the paint off the clips trying to install, theyre really tight, not sure about beating on them too hard, dont want to dent them up

new wheels.JPG

I used the palm of my hand...and I'm OLD!!!!

bend tabs in ward a little, then give the cap a thump with your hand.

This++ Had the same issue with my new wheels and caps. It does suck that the fresh paint gets scratched off but you'll get over it. They're primed really well from the factory.

I tapped the tabs with a rubber mallet "lightly" to bend them in a little, then a little dab of grease on the tabs. You kinda get a feel for it.

My clips needed a little tweaking. Then square up the cap and give it a good smack with your hand.

Bend the tabs slightly so the cap will pop on with firm hand pressure, I usually push on the outside of the caps with both hands at once. If it won't go then bend a touch more until they pop on. If they are too snug them you might deform them when you pop them off.

@ed m, if yours are freshly sprayed it's possible they were sprayed too thick

in the old days we had hubcap hammers, it was a rubber mallet on 1 end and the other had a prying device for removal

Oh boy, Paul, now you're really dating yourself. Next you're probably gonna say they used to have tires with white-color sides and gasoline used to be made from pure petroleum and only cost 20 cents a gallon.

Wait a minute, how the heck do I even know that?

I take a hammer and just push on the clips with the wooden handle, bend them in with body weight. Then I grease them so they "slide" over them a little easier. I have a few of the Toyota hub cap pullers around and always put a piece of tape on the wheel and wrap the end of hub cap tool with tape as well when I am removing them. They sure do go flying...

I tapped the tabs with a rubber mallet "lightly" to bend them in a little, then a little dab of grease on the tabs. You kinda get a feel for it.

EXACTLY how I installed mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom