New HEI trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sweating in the rainforest or Winters, CA
I have a 72 F motor in a pig and just got a Man A Fre Lightning strike HEI. Followed the directions, started right up, timed it and took it for a test drive. Got it back home and it won't start now. What's up?

When installing it, I had to start it a few times to time it (working by myself). Decided to take it for a test spin and on that start it struggled to turn over. Timing was just set and confirmed to be good (?) I tried it again and bingo no issues, fired right up. It was cold, and sputtered a little, but we got it going around the 'hood. HIgher rpms and it was smooth and nice, but cold. It started to sputter a bit more so I drove it home... turned it off in the driveway. Got out my timing light, tried to start it and it really struggled like it was being held back or something. The oil pressure was fine and the engine just barely started to get warm on the run around the block.

Now it won't start, won't even click or turn over. Took the cap off and all seems good. It purred just a few minutes ago... The vac line is connected ( but was off to time it), all batt cables tight, no fuses blown. All power in cab otherwise normal.

What can I check?? I'll call Man a Fre in the morning.

Sounds like classic bad elec. connection. Sometimes they look good but don't make a good connection. I like to use di-electric (tune up grease) on all my connections. Good luck.

It may be that it is not getting 12v. If the source of voltage to the HEI is low it will affect the performance of the HEI to the point that it will not function. What gauge wire did you run to the HEI from your fuse panel? What shape is your battery in?

I have the same HEI and had similar problems on my 78 FJ40. First thing to check is to remove the cap and check the 3 prongs in the right side wihere your power wire/tach connection goes. Make sure that none of them are touching each other cuz they are extremely close and a slight bend at assembly will cause them to short out. Really crappy design in my opinion.

Secondly, the hold down clamp that comes with it is crap. Crap to the 10 power to be exact. You'd think a little more thought would have gone into this part given the cost and that it's supposed to be for a 2F. I found that you can never really tighten it down to where the distributor is not moving around while driving thereby screwing up your timing. It took me a while to figure out what was happening and then how to fix it so that it wouldn't move anymore. That solved my problems anyway. Good luck!!!

OK. So I'm hearing make sure the power to the HEI is good, connections not shorted out on eachother, ground strap solid, hold down clamp ( yeah, WTF on that huh?)...

I used the original wire that fed the coil from the ignition... A bigger wire maybe. But it purred until I drove it a little.?? OH well I'll check this stuff and report back.

What keeps that situation from even engaging the starter. That kinda worries me right now.

OK. So I'm hearing make sure the power to the HEI is good, connections not shorted out on eachother, ground strap solid, hold down clamp ( yeah, WTF on that huh?)...

I used the original wire that fed the coil from the ignition... A bigger wire maybe. But it purred until I drove it a little.?? OH well I'll check this stuff and report back.

What keeps that situation from even engaging the starter. That kinda worries me right now.

Based on the proximity of the starter to the distributor and their shared wiring harness coming out of the firewall (at least on mine this is the case), perform a visual check to ensure the wire to the solenoid has not become loose or detached. If detached, the starter will not turn - and could have been grounding out to the frame, reducing voltage for the coil. A long shot, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Built my own HEI from a chevy straight six about 7 years ago - best decision I ever made. Has been running great ever since! Good luck!

I put a new battery in it ( old one was 13 years old), replaced the fuse to the ignition coil, swapped out ignition switches ( with a used spare that I have), visually inspected the starter wiring. Found a loose connection at the solenoid where the small wire attached with a blade slider, fixed it,... I've got nothing.

For a few moments, the ignition switch stopped giving power to the accessories but after I found and fixed the solenoid wire, it came back to life.

But still, when I turn the key to acc, I get power, but when I go to engage the starter, I just get a dimming of the dash light. I think I have some other issue now apart from the HEI... but what?

I had a similar problem with the standard starter. Ended up being a defective starter solenoid. To test whether it was the starter motor or the solenoid, I pulled the starter and bypassed the solenoid with a pair of jumper cables from the battery directly to the starter.

After going through two solenoids in 5 years, I upgraded to the later model gear reduction starter. Never had another another starter problem since!

Guess I have gotten lazy - HEI distributor, gear reduction starter, carb with a choke and a later 4 speed trans - fully synchronized ( no more 3 speed!). The changes have all been well worth the effort in the long run.

One more thought -be sure to double check all of your ground connections between the frame and motor. Based on the solenoid wire issue, there may be other wiring gremlins awaiting their opportunity to torture you.

Good luck:grinpimp:

Ok. Pulled the starter. Will try to bench test it. See if I can get a new solenoid if it tests bad. I have a ground from battery to engine and battery to body, but not to frame. I will do that now and probably get new battery cables this weekend. Put it all back and see what it does. Maybe it is just coincidence that it went bad right as I am switching to the HEI?? Seems kinda funny to me... I have rechecked all the HEI stuff and I call checks out just as spec's in the instructions.
:bang:

Edit... tested batt cables for current, tested solenoid wires for current, made an engine to frame ground, scrubbed all batt and ground connections, tested both switches for action... It all seems to point to the solenoid at this point.

How do I test the solenoid while out?

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with the standard starter. Ended up being a defective starter solenoid. To test whether it was the starter motor or the solenoid, I pulled the starter and bypassed the solenoid with a pair of jumper cables from the battery directly to the starter.

After going through two solenoids in 5 years, I upgraded to the later model gear reduction starter. Never had another another starter problem since!

Guess I have gotten lazy - HEI distributor, gear reduction starter, carb with a choke and a later 4 speed trans - fully synchronized ( no more 3 speed!). The changes have all been well worth the effort in the long run.

One more thought -be sure to double check all of your ground connections between the frame and motor. Based on the solenoid wire issue, there may be other wiring gremlins awaiting their opportunity to torture you.

Good luck:grinpimp:

WHat do I connect the jumpers to? I see the starter wire from the solenoid. Do I put the ground cable on the body of the starter and stand back.. ha?

WHat do I connect the jumpers to? I see the starter wire from the solenoid. Do I put the ground cable on the body of the starter and stand back.. ha?

Well, you are close... Hook the ground from the battery to the ears of the starter (where the starter bolts to the bellhousing) and touch the positive to the post where the solenoid connects to the starter. You should hear the starter motor turn at that point in time. If the starter motor turns, the culprit is the solenoid.

Electrical issues - always a good time!

Well, you are close... Hook the ground from the battery to the ears of the starter (where the starter bolts to the bellhousing) and touch the positive to the post where the solenoid connects to the starter. You should hear the starter motor turn at that point in time. If the starter motor turns, the culprit is the solenoid.

Electrical issues - always a good time!

Lovin' every minute of it!

Thanks for that. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom