FJ60 alternator conversion - trouble with "stock wiring" on 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Still working on this 1974 FJ40, tying up loose ends before it leaves the state in a few days. Have to do an FJ60/2F "internally"-regulated alternator conversion to accommodate the FJ60 clutched water pump that I put in, and am running into some trouble with wiring. @Coolerman made me a nice harness to move the wiring to the passenger-top side of the engine and convert from the 3-pin F alternator to the 2-pin 2F unit. He has a good solution whereby one uses the existing "external" regulator as a terminal block.

Problem: I don't have a regulator mounted to the firewall where it should be on a 1974...there's a stub harness on the old alternator which mates to a connector on the main engine harness, and a weird box that I can't figure out. See pics below.

The stub harness on the old alternator:

clJcxpe.jpg

...engine harness side, mating connector:

Nn40VtW.jpg

...wire colors, engine harness side:

S2vlxyL.jpg

...weird box bolted to driver wheel well:

JycABzk.jpg

...the blue wire, butt-spliced to a black wire with a spade connector:

LeYpraR.jpg

...can you guys help me figure out which wires are which, and where the old regulator is?

TIA!

I think I can help with this...
I had it in my head your 1974 had a regulator with screw terminals, not the three pin female connector it actually has.

That "weird box on the fender" is your voltage regulator. It is not an OEM regulator (that mounts to the drivers side firewall under the brake booster), but it probably worked just fine.

Unplug that three pin connector on the regulator from the harness side connector. Remove the non OEM regulator from the fender and set it aside.

Now wait while I send you a connector that you will plug into the three pin harness side regulator connector. This connector will jumper a couple of wires together allowing the harness I made for you to plug into the 4 pin connector.

Last thing, can you post a pic of that harness I made?

My apologies for the very late reply - I had plans to follow up with the various threads I posted to get help with this truck, then had to cut the project short. When everything else was good (and there were a LOT of things off, haha), the terrible Weber that had sat for several years failed to keep up with the engine. So we shipped the truck, and I'm looking for the missing bits for this 1970 Aisan carb I got as a core so I can have Jim rebuild that and go back to stock.

I ended up splicing into a different wire to get the ign 12V, I'll post pics so you can tell me how badly I messed it up ;). Give me about a week to get all the pics together, was also planning to put up a build thread. Thanks @Coolerman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom