New Guy: Taco to GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just Diff's is a good vendor. I've used them on both my 100 series Hundy and GX. 👍👍👍👍👍

Alright.. need some suggestions on mounting my Alu Cab.

My JW Offroad roof rack just wasn't cutting it. Had it for 7 months and it's warping, cracking and rusting everywhere so I ordered a low profile load bar kit from Outgear Solutions to try out. These bars are extremely heavy duty and look the part so I'm pumped there.

The issue is trying to find some angled brackets for the font like the pic below as my tent only came with 4 brackets that are straight. It's hard to see but it's slightly angled back so the tent is sitting even with the rear of the GX.

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 2.30.21 PM.png

Because of the spacing between the load bars I'd have to push the tent forward 6 inches to work. While I don't see any issue with that from a functional / safety stand point I just feel like that would look odd. Am I being too picky and need to just go with it? Here's a side on pic of my current setup for reference:

B57FE3BE-DDFC-4D09-884C-FC732E6CF742.jpeg

Because of the spacing between the load bars I'd have to push the tent forward 6 inches to work. While I don't see any issue with that from a functional / safety stand point I just feel like that would look odd. Am I being too picky and need to just go with it? Here's a side on pic of my current setup for reference:
:meh:
I've been thinking of moving my iKamper RTT further forward so my satellite radio reception is better. Right now the shark fin is partially covered by the RTT. That would give me the same appearance as your rig. Right now I only get good reception when I'm pointing/driving at certain directions of the compass.

Last edited:
Honestly not trying to bash a small fab shop.. but do not get a JW Offroad roof rack. Especially if you live anywhere that gets consistent snow. The rack is 6 months old and covered in rust while also warping and even completely snapping in 4 areas. Went with some load bars from Outgear Solutions and they seem great. Tent has zero movement and sits super low.

Outgear Solutions:
IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

JW Offroad aftermath:
IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

Wow that’s pretty significant in a short amount of time.

Seems like the metal is fatiguing in that area, flexing, and breaking the powdercoat. They may have designed the rack without consideration for actual stresses and fatigue. Re-welding the rack at the crack and adding a gusset behind it would probably fix it, but the powdercoat would then need to be completely re-done.

Seems like the metal is fatiguing in that area, flexing, and breaking the powdercoat. They may have designed the rack without consideration for actual stresses and fatigue. Re-welding the rack at the crack and adding a gusset behind it would probably fix it, but the powdercoat would then need to be completely re-done.

Even from the get go the rack would sway if I pushed it when the Alu Cab was on top. With the new bars from Outgear Solutions they don't budge.. just move my whole car if you push em. Def not going back.

Even from the get go the rack would sway if I pushed it when the Alu Cab was on top. With the new bars from Outgear Solutions they don't budge.. just move my whole car if you push em. Def not going back.
Are the JW side plates steel? I suppose they have to be if they rusted unless some sort of science happened between the bolts, the tent brackets, and the side plate. In any case those side plates look thin and swissing the area under the 3 holes isn't helping. Hopefully everything works better with the new rack.

Are the JW side plates steel? I suppose they have to be if they rusted unless some sort of science happened between the bolts, the tent brackets, and the side plate. In any case those side plates look thin and swissing the area under the 3 holes isn't helping. Hopefully everything works better with the new rack.

FWIW... the new load bars were the move! Super solid and my tent doesn't budge anymore.

Been a minute but got some updates for the GX!

Installed:
-
Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 295/70r17
- Speakers: Front - Focal ISU 690 Components / Rear - Focal RCX 165

The stock speakers are terrible in my opinion and were long overdue for an upgrade. I'm a big Focal guy and due to me not having space for a sub I had to go with some of their components that offered a little bass in the front 6x9s. Overall I'm very happy with the improvement over stock and was easy to install.

Ordered:
- PowerTrays Garmin Powerswitch Tray
- PowerTrays Accessory Bundle w/ Dual Circuit Breakers
- Outgear Solutions Sliders
- PowerStop Z36 Brake Kit w/ Calipers

My next purchase will be a tire carrier solution but I can't make my mind up on what route to go. I'm holding out to see what people say regarding the JW Offroad bolt on tire carrier solution ( not the one mounted to door ) that just came out. Really don't think a full steel bumper is what I need...

Tailgating this past weekend...

IMG_1537.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom