New Guy: Taco to GX460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder who will be the guinea pig? :D

Maybe I'll reach out and let them know there is a huge community of USDM GX and T4R owners hungry for a cheap and easy way to correct their speedometers :).

Welp… September 15th it’s going down… or up.

Have a Dobinsins kit going on, BMC and bumper cut. Hoping that keeping it at 2.5” lift will prevent me from needing UCAs right away. I’m def going 285s with a 0 offset wheel but have yet to decide specifics. Thinking about Method 305 NV wrapped in General Grabber.

Been a busy morning. Here is what I just ordered:

- Dobinsons IMS 2.5 kit
- SPC UCAs
- Dobinsons Dual Drawer system
- JW Offroad Roof Rack
- General Grabber ATX in 285/70/r17

Now I need to decide on wheels but got a couple weeks until install to decide. Oh, if anybody needs help with a Dobs lift hit up Treaty Oak! Dude was answering emails fast on a Sunday lol

looking forward to a review of those drawers, looking at getting some myself and can't decide between ironman, dobinson or a custom set

Making the switch myself - New GX purchased, just waiting to get back from vacation to pick it up (Wednesday). Coming from an '18 Off Road!
IMG_20200604_181711_477.jpg

looking forward to a review of those drawers, looking at getting some myself and can't decide between ironman, dobinson or a custom set
My initial impression is these things are sturdy as hell and well built. Install wasn’t too bad.. there’s one video on YouTube of a guy installing in his GX460 that was super convenient.

Had to call it a night but next is incorporating power to the drawers and water tank setup. I’m going to run a Dometic wiring kit from my X2 Power AGM battery for the fridge and my GoalZero. The water tank holds 8 gallons and has an electric pump.. followed a nice DIY video last year and it’s still going strong.

0F7070E9-EEC8-4EEC-9901-2116176CE9C7.jpeg
13221BF6-A7FB-4126-963F-D70D30942F06.jpeg
4BBDE4C2-0EF1-4334-A487-C04022EDE4FE.jpeg

Congrats on the purchase. Be aware these things are a money pit and I learned the hard way haha.

You'll definitely need a lift to fit 33s. Depending on what wheels you go with you'll probably need a BMC (I did).

View attachment 2768045

I've got a Dobinsons IMS lift and BMC happening Sept 15th!

What offset are your wheels?

They’re 17x8.5 -10 offset. My 5th gen 4runner has the same tires but on factory trd pro wheels and I didn’t need the BMC. So if you stick with something closer to factory wheel offset you’ll be fine.

Install day is gettin close… am I crazy for considering these?

View attachment 2767660
I dig the old-school, steel wheel look. But maybe not so..."monolithic"? Try these?

My initial impression is these things are sturdy as hell and well built. Install wasn’t too bad.. there’s one video on YouTube of a guy installing in his GX460 that was super convenient.

Had to call it a night but next is incorporating power to the drawers and water tank setup. I’m going to run a Dometic wiring kit from my X2 Power AGM battery for the fridge and my GoalZero. The water tank holds 8 gallons and has an electric pump.. followed a nice DIY video last year and it’s still going strong.

View attachment 2761364View attachment 2761366View attachment 2761367
Looks great, nice job!
I ended up pulling the trigger on the Ironman drawers, mainly due to their latest 25% off sale. Will post a review when I get them installed.

Got my JW Off Road roof rack installed the other day. Will snag some later with the iKamper on it as well.

My Icon Vectors came in too and tires will be here tomorrow. I got 12 days till lift and body work happen!

IMG_0747.png
IMG_0750.png
IMG_0751.png
IMG_0752.png
IMG_0753.png

Got my JW Off Road roof rack installed the other day. Will snag some later with the iKamper on it as well.

My Icon Vectors came in too and tires will be here tomorrow. I got 12 days till lift and body work happen!

View attachment 2776300View attachment 2776301View attachment 2776302View attachment 2776303View attachment 2776304
If you haven't used your iKamper yet, you'll love it! 😍
My wife and I love ours! Comfortable, fast and easy setup and tear down, warm. We've been in pretty cold climates, but not snow, just bucket surface water frozen in the morning.
My only downside is not being able to put racks on it. I'd really like the ability to mount my solar panels under the rack and take surfboards and paddle boards on adventures. Although I have some ideas... We'll see how that goes in the future. If it works I'll be posting on my build thread.
And I guess on other little annoyance is it's weight. But one can't all that comfort and features very much lighter than they've engineered it. I think iKamper did a great job, and this is from a 25 year R&D engineer.

If you haven't used your iKamper yet, you'll love it! 😍
My wife and I love ours! Comfortable, fast and easy setup and tear down, warm. We've been in pretty cold climates, but not snow, just bucket surface water frozen in the morning.
My only downside is not being able to put racks on it. I'd really like the ability to mount my solar panels under the rack and take surfboards and paddle boards on adventures. Although I have some ideas... We'll see how that goes in the future. If it works I'll be posting on my build thread.
And I guess on other little annoyance is it's weight. But one can't all that comfort and features very much lighter than they've engineered it. I think iKamper did a great job, and this is from a 25 year R&D engineer.

We love our iKamper! Had it for about 10 months and prob got 50 nights in it. We spent almost 3 weeks living in it during a road trip.

I do agree that it would be nice to mount items on top tho. The good thing is it's small footprint still leaves a decent amount of room on my rack to mount things.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom