New Guy: Taco to GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
** Build Breakdown Update **

BuckBaldMountain.jpg

Exterior:
- Icon Vector 6 17x8.5
- Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/70r17
- Dobinsons IMS 2.5"
- SPC UCAs
- Outgear Solutions Load Bars

Interior:
- Dobinsons Dual Drawer System
- Dometic CFX 3 55im
- Expedition Essentials Rail
- Focal Speakers Front and Rear

Electrical:
- Garmin Powerswitch
- Diode Dynamics SSC2

Camping:
- AluCab Gen 3.1 RTT
- AluCab Shadow Awning

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kids. They make you trade in your beloved Taco for a GX460 because there's no room in the back. Honestly, after a week I wish I had made the move sooner.

Here is what I had:
IMG_0478.jpg

And now I've got:
64903121817__873B27DE-4426-4E55-AEC1-C13AEF7CD000.jpg

Here's my question: can I fit a true 33" tire with stock suspension if I do a BMC, front / rear bumper trim and remove running boards? Want to go with a 17" wheel and whatever offset will help the most. I will be upgrading the suspension but I need tires very soon and with a Prinsu rack and Dometic fridge / slide on the way it will be a couple months till I can order a kit.

Tried lurking around ClubLexus but that site is terrible. Way too many ads and very glitchy on mobile devices.

Last edited:
Is there a way to edit posts? Can't find it...

I've seen where some people are running 275/70r17s on stock suspension with no trimming so figured I may be able to move up to 285/70r17s if I do trim.

I run 275/70/17 Wildpeaks with Dobinsons 2” lift and still had to do some liner massaging, no BMC needed though. I would think with bumper trim you’d be fine, I just have gotten there yet.

Should I stick with a 0 offset or give a -15 a shot?

Wish I didn't need tires right now but can't wait 5-6 months for my lift and don't want to buy tires a second time so soon. Putting 33s on my Tacoma was a game changer.

Welcome to the (not) Lexus club! Nice rig! You're family will absolutely love it on trips and here's why:
Rear seats recline.
Rear seats can slide forward and rearward for more/less leg room for either 2nd or 3rd row passengers.
There's already lots of leg room even for your high school basketball star!
Second row gets their own AC controls (if you splurged for an upgraded model)
Tons of cup holders! 2 in every door and 2 more in the pull down arm rest! Tip: we always keep 1 liter water bottles in the rear door cup holders, in case we're ever out on a trail or stuck in gridlock and need water.

Now about your question about tire size: Yes absolutely you can fit a 33! I run LT285/75R17 BFG M/T KM2 on my rig which equates out to about 33.9" O.D. We've done some serious off roading with some bolder crossing with this setup. Here is my build thread if you're looking to do an overlander style like your Taco: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r2m-2013-gx460-overland-build.1104719/
We really enjoy or rig and try to get out every month or other month with it!

Is there a way to edit posts? Can't find it...

I've seen where some people are running 275/70r17s on stock suspension with no trimming so figured I may be able to move up to 285/70r17s if I do trim.
You probably wont be able to get the spare tire in the factory location. I have 265/70/17 Wild Peaks on TRD Pro wheels and my spare fit with about 1mm of clearance.

Reactions: r2m
A -15 offset will probably make rubbing worse as the tire gets pushed further out and therefore further into the fenders when you turn. IMO, stick with a 265/70r17 (32" tire) on zero offset wheels, which will fit OK without a lift, fit in the spare area, and will still look OK when you get a lift later on. You'll also limit speedometer error to around ~4% instead of the 10% you'll get with 33" tire and reduce increases in rotating mass that worsen gas mileage, acceleration, and braking. 33s are great if you routinely off-road but a GX is still very capable on 32's, even with stock suspension.

A -15 offset will probably make rubbing worse as the tire gets pushed further out and therefore further into the fenders when you turn. IMO, stick with a 265/70r17 (32" tire), which will fit OK without a lift, fit in the spare area, and will still look OK when you get a lift later on. You'll also limit speedometer error to around ~4% instead of the 10% you'll get with 33" tire and reduce increases in rotating mass that worsen gas mileage, acceleration, and braking. 33s are great if you routinely off-road but a GX is still very capable on 32's, even with stock suspension.

^ All of this. I run that size tire (265/70/17) and it’s great.

A -15 offset will probably make rubbing worse as the tire gets pushed further out and therefore further into the fenders when you turn. IMO, stick with a 265/70r17 (32" tire) on zero offset wheels, which will fit OK without a lift, fit in the spare area, and will still look OK when you get a lift later on. You'll also limit speedometer error to around ~4% instead of the 10% you'll get with 33" tire and reduce increases in rotating mass that worsen gas mileage, acceleration, and braking. 33s are great if you routinely off-road but a GX is still very capable on 32's, even with stock suspension.
FWIW, my speedo is right on with 265/70/17s. It was reading a little high with the stock size.

Thanks for all the feedback! I know the "how big of a tire can I run" question gets old but the GX world is all new to me.

I know they are not ideal... but does anybody have some experience with the Daystar spacer lifts? I'm tempted to put one on just so I can safely run 285s for a couple months until I get my lift. I just remember running 265/75r16s on my Taco then after lifting it 2.5" it looked a little wack so I went up to 285s. If could trust my current tires on basic FS roads I'd just be patient and wait but I don't.

Spacer lifts aren't the best idea as the shock ends up bottoming out before the bump stops, so you might end up bending a shock if you hit something really hard. I'm running 265/70r17s on my GX with a 2.5"/2" lift and it looks pretty good and there is a full 11" of clearance under the skid plates (albeit on a 470 rather than a 460). Would it look better with 33's, yes, but it performs just fine with 32s. If you really want to run 33s I'd just carry the lift balance on your card for a few months, for which the interest is probably similar in cost to a spacer lift and alignment.

Last edited:
Ya’ll are killing me with the responsible decision making! Lol

I’ll more than likely stick with he 32” because they do look good on a 2” to 2.5” lift.

There will def be some more questions for ya’ll as I start making changes.

Doing some test fitting of my “storage” solution for the rear. The Roam cases fit like a glove! We are ordering a Dometic CFX3 55 w/ slide for the boxed area. I’ve got a 6 gallon water tank w/ powered pump going behind the fridge and I’ll be running the power switch and hose connector to front of fridge area for easy access.

7E81D452-7335-475C-91B7-24FAD1313D43.jpeg

Doing some test fitting of my “storage” solution for the rear. The Roam cases fit like a glove! We are ordering a Dometic CFX3 55 w/ slide for the boxed area. I’ve got a 6 gallon water tank w/ powered pump going behind the fridge and I’ll be running the power switch and hose connector to front of fridge area for easy access.

View attachment 2749918
That's looking pretty good! Do you have slide rails yet for your refrigerator? You'll need long rails and a heafty base securely attached to your floor board if you plan on sliding your fridge out for access.

That's looking pretty good! Do you have slide rails yet for your refrigerator? You'll need long rails and a heafty base securely attached to your floor board if you plan on sliding your fridge out for access.

I was close to just doing a DYI slide but the Dometic one wasn't going to be much more than some full extension locking drawer slides.

FWIW, my speedo is right on with 265/70/17s. It was reading a little high with the stock size.

The speedo for my 460 with 265/70/17 is showing ~2mph slower than actual speed. Our 470 with the exact same wheel/tire set is showing 1-2mph slower than actual. Goes to show the factory calibration has a possible variable of 1-3mph or so it seems.

My 470 shows a solid, consistent 4.5% slow (according to GPS) than the speedometer. The 265/70's are that much bigger than stock so the initial calibration must have been off. Unfortunately 4.5% is ~3 mph+ difference above 70 mph (right into speeding ticket territory) so I have to watch my speed and check the GPS speed via the PX6 when setting the cruise for highway drive.

OT, but has anyone figured out a halfway easy way to correct the speedometer on these? If I every do go with 33's in the future it'll get really bad. It would be nice to have it accurate now, too.

My 470 shows a solid, consistent 4.5% slow (according to GPS) than the speedometer. The 265/70's are that much bigger than stock so the initial calibration must have been off. Unfortunately 4.5% is ~3 mph+ difference above 70 mph (right into speeding ticket territory) so I have to watch my speed and check the GPS speed via the PX6 when setting the cruise for highway drive.

OT, but has anyone figured out a halfway easy way to correct the speedometer on these? If I every do go with 33's in the future it'll get really bad. It would be nice to have it accurate now, too.
With my 33.9" (285/75/17) are almost a perfect 10% off. If my speedo is showing 55 MPH, I'm actually doing 50 MPH.
And per your question, no, well kind of...
Back on 13 August 2019 Yellow box replied to an email I sent them (note: I have not purchased and do not know if it works):
Hello Richard,

I am so very sorry, I missed your email.
Yellow Box is likely compatible with your Lexus, first we would need to confirm the type of speed sensor used.
Attached are some photos if your Lexus has this same 3-pin plug set at the Output Speed Sensor, then Plug-n-play Harness is available. The Output Speed Sensor is typically located on the transaxle/bell area of the transmission.
If your Lexus has a "2-wire/2-pin" Output Speed Sensor then it will require "2-wire" unit and Splice Harness only.

Thank you.
Best regards,
jennifer
Yellow Box Speedo Recalibrator - Correcting speedometers worldwide since 1999.
email: staff@YellR.com

These are the photos they attached to the email:
Toyota  VSS connector _00.JPG

Toyota  VSS connector _01.JPG

Toyota  VSS location 2.jpg

Toyota 2-wire sensor.jpg

Thanks, that looks like a reasonably priced option!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom