New Guy: Taco to GX460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you haven't used your iKamper yet, you'll love it! 😍
My wife and I love ours! Comfortable, fast and easy setup and tear down, warm. We've been in pretty cold climates, but not snow, just bucket surface water frozen in the morning.
My only downside is not being able to put racks on it. I'd really like the ability to mount my solar panels under the rack and take surfboards and paddle boards on adventures. Although I have some ideas... We'll see how that goes in the future. If it works I'll be posting on my build thread.
And I guess on other little annoyance is it's weight. But one can't all that comfort and features very much lighter than they've engineered it. I think iKamper did a great job, and this is from a 25 year R&D engineer.

Update: We sold our iKamper lol Got an appointment with Asheville Vehicle Outfitters to install a new Alu Cab Gen 3.1 on Friday! Our iKamper was amazing but having the ability to mount solar panels and carry gear / kayaks was a no brainer for us to switch. I've also heard great things about the insulation that Alu Cab uses in both hot and cold weather.

The GX is currently in the shop but should be done around 3-4 today and I'll have pics of the progress!

Update: We sold our iKamper lol Got an appointment with Asheville Vehicle Outfitters to install a new Alu Cab Gen 3.1 on Friday! Our iKamper was amazing but having the ability to mount solar panels and carry gear / kayaks was a no brainer for us to switch. I've also heard great things about the insulation that Alu Cab uses in both hot and cold weather.

The GX is currently in the shop but should be done around 3-4 today and I'll have pics of the progress!
That is the only thing that has me thinking about trading in our beloved iKamper for something similar with rack ability.
Please keep me/us all posted on how you like that new Allu Cab Gen 3.1
I'll have to go and take a look at it now on their web site.
Also, how easy was it to sell your iKamper and about what did you get for it? Just in case my wife and I get the itch to swap ours out also.

That is the only thing that has me thinking about trading in our beloved iKamper for something similar with rack ability.
Please keep me/us all posted on how you like that new Allu Cab Gen 3.1
I'll have to go and take a look at it now on their web site.
Also, how easy was it to sell your iKamper and about what did you get for it? Just in case my wife and I get the itch to swap ours out also.

It lasted a day on Facebook Marketplace and sold for $3k. Our iKamper was not babied tho... it had some wear and tear on it.

I'll def post up a review on my tent!

Reactions: r2m
A0EA3F0B-AD47-44F2-ACD0-1C1ADC8E0C69.jpeg
B165DE03-4AFB-4BC6-BA7A-0C51584DC5BB.jpeg
3052130D-620E-4E23-B9F1-74FF62C28FB2.jpeg

I just spent several days sleeping in my iKamper on (Army) base for our annual FTX. Slept like a baby (soldier...)!
Can you keep a sleeping bag and full size pillow with it closed? I thought we could with the iKamper, but the only thing that will fit is our bed sheet and 4 thin solar panels.

I just spent several days sleeping in my iKamper on (Army) base for our annual FTX. Slept like a baby (soldier...)!
Can you keep a sleeping bag and full size pillow with it closed? I thought we could with the iKamper, but the only thing that will fit is our bed sheet and 4 thin solar panels.

Yup. We’ve got three pillows, 2 sleeping bags, a blanket and the ladder in it. Closes no problem!

Yup. We’ve got three pillows, 2 sleeping bags, a blanket and the ladder in it. Closes no problem!
How do you lay it all out? Spread it out all over, put most of it towards the rear??

How do you lay it all out? Spread it out all over, put most of it towards the rear??

Just spread it out around the tent. Had our first wknd in the tent and took the pads out when we got home. There was no need in them with the mattress that comes with the Alu Cab.

What do ya'll recommend running pressure wise on these tires? They are 33x12.5 E rated tires and I was thinking high 20s on road and high teens off road.

Last edited:
high 20s? Thats too low for the road. I would start with 34-40 psi and do a chalk test. I have 285/70r17 (33x11.25) and run 40 front and 38 rear.

I use to run 28-30 on my Tacoma and got great results but it was also a lot lighter than the GX I've got now.I think the shop put me at like 45 and it's way too stiff. I'll bump down to 40 and see how it goes.

Well.. after 2 months of being the shop after a guy drilled it in a parking lot finally got it back!

Mounted the traction boards and Goal Zero panel to the top of the Alu Cab. Couldn't justify $300 in load bars when I could make my own mounts with a quick Lowes run for a fraction of the cost...

IMG_1067.jpeg
IMG_1068.jpeg
IMG_1069.jpeg

Good job! It's coming along nicely. I, too, came from a '19 Taco TRD Off-Road but now in a '22 GX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom