New guy here - questioning repairs on a potential purchase (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have been shopping around for a 100 series for a while now and came across a 1999 that the seller claims recently had some work done, including the timing belt, head gasket, and a top end rebuild. He claims he has the paperwork for the repairs, but that the previous owner had the work done so he didn’t know what events led the rebuild.

In my research it seems head gasket issues are rare and rebuilding the top end seems to be even more rare, so I’m wondering if any of you could give me some insight into what could have gone wrong. I know there’s some debate as to interference vs non-interference, but if it’s the former I could see a timing belt letting loose causing the rebuild. It’s just a little odd to me that it isn’t more widely reported if that’s the case. I guess it’s also possible some shady shop took granny for a ride.

Anyway, I know it’ll just be a guess, but any insight would be helpful. Other than that, the truck is pristine and looks like it’s just been driven to the grocery store and bingo hall for 24 years.

very questionable
is the current owner flipping it?
too much work done and too many owners in a short time

I believe these engines were non-interference until the VVTI upgrade in ‘06. if I remember what I read correctly, Toyota introduced the VVTI earlier for the 4.7, but didn’t put them in the LC/LX the first couple years.

first search results I found

I agree with @3_puppies. Why did this person buy it after the repairs and not keep it longer. Would need to be a pretty solid answer like they are moving to Guam or something for me to even consider it. And even then I would probably still pass or would want it for a significant discount, like ~2k since you have to assume it is truly screwed up and will need a full rebuild/new engine.

I would also add that buying blind shouldn't occur w/o a PPI... and not a $75 job either. Couple hundred and comprehensive. You'd have to get specific consent to perform a compression test (because they have to "open it up") but If they balk at something like that...run.

If the seller has paperwork for the job then maybe try and contact the shop that did the work. See if they can recall why the work was performed. Like everyone else stated though, I would probably steer clear unless it's a really good deal.

Take your time, figure out what your looking for and go from there. I’ve been looking for about a year. I wasn’t aggressive and there’s not too many in my area of the woods, NE made the no rust hard. Shipping a cruiser to me was the best option I had without traveling and losing time off work.

Different price points on different years, there’s more than this but here’s some common ones.
5 speed 03+
ATRAC after 00+
VVTI 06+

My conditions were no rust, overall good maintance history. What I sacrificed for price was interior and paint. Interior is easier to fix than rust. Some faded paint doesn’t bother me.

Take your time, figure out what your looking for and go from there. I’ve been looking for about a year. I wasn’t aggressive and there’s not too many in my area of the woods, NE made the no rust hard. Shipping a cruiser to me was the best option I had without traveling and losing time off work.

Different price points on different years, there’s more than this but here’s some common ones.
5 speed 03+
ATRAC after 00+
VVTI 06+

My conditions were no rust, overall good maintance history. What I sacrificed for price was interior and paint. Interior is easier to fix than rust. Some faded paint doesn’t bother me.
This is also invaluable...

Like 98/99 being available with rear locker or 98/99 2 pinion front diff, 2000+ 4 pinion front diff.

Unfortunately there are WAY to many of these for sale out there. Not this specific scenario but someone bought it "with plans of turning it into an overlanding rig" but then "plans changed" 3 months later. I would not touch this one!

I also won't buy from someone that can't speak to the vehicle if that makes sense. "Oh the PO did this and PO did this, but I changed the oil AND put in some weathertecs" so it's good to go.

If I was selling mine I could rattle off everything that has been done, when I did it, why I did it and then also fall back on the dealer records from 20 years in Arizona.

Thanks guys. The price is definitely right on the truck but I think you confirmed my gut feeling on this one.

When I do PP inspection. I look for red flags in history.
Head gasket replaced, is a red flag. I'd recommend a compression test and or bore scoping all 8 cylinders. Number one cause of head gasket failure is overheating.

Last edited:
I agree with @3_puppies. Why did this person buy it after the repairs and not keep it longer. Would need to be a pretty solid answer like they are moving to Guam or something for me to even consider it. And even then I would probably still pass or would want it for a significant discount, like ~2k since you have to assume it is truly screwed up and will need a full rebuild/new engine.
Ironically enough they are leaving the country. Laid off tech worker who is having visa problems (or at least that’s the story) and the truck is priced about $2,500 less than just about everything else out there.

Hi all, I have been shopping around for a 100 series for a while now and came across a 1999 that the seller claims recently had some work done, including the timing belt, head gasket, and a top end rebuild. He claims he has the paperwork for the repairs, but that the previous owner had the work done so he didn’t know what events led the rebuild.

In my research it seems head gasket issues are rare and rebuilding the top end seems to be even more rare, so I’m wondering if any of you could give me some insight into what could have gone wrong. I know there’s some debate as to interference vs non-interference, but if it’s the former I could see a timing belt letting loose causing the rebuild. It’s just a little odd to me that it isn’t more widely reported if that’s the case. I guess it’s also possible some shady shop took granny for a ride.

Anyway, I know it’ll just be a guess, but any insight would be helpful. Other than that, the truck is pristine and looks like it’s just been driven to the grocery store and bingo hall for 24 years.
Without reading too hard into this, I would pass on that one unless it's a steal of a deal. I wouldn't want someones rebuild on a vehicle that got neglected, overheated, whatever happened to make it fail and need a rebuild. Even if the rebuild was done perfectly it's still not worth it.

Then again you get what you pay for so if the price is right...how much$$$$????

Heat gasket issues is rare but broken heater-T is common. Broken heater T or radiator can lead to overheating if the driver is not paying attention. If the engine is overheated, then new head gasket is the minimum. Top end rebuild could be anything unless you have the details. I have talked to seller who claimed top end rebuild, it was actually a valve cover gasket job. I would have the engine inspected if you like the rest of the vehicle.

That’s good to know on the heater-t. Thank you.

The more questions I asked the more things weren’t really adding up so I just decided to move on from it. If I had more time on my hands then I might have been more willing to roll the dice with it knowing the thing might turn into a project, but unfortunately time is a scarce resource these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom