New Australian Member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

This is my first post on IH8MUD, ive been a member here for a little while and reading through old posts for quite a while before joining...

I just wonted to share with you this little trip report i wrote on a local Australian 4x4 forum, given well we had such a great time and i absolutely love driving anywhere in my old 1978 FJ45.

I have found this forum to be the greatest place on the web to find answers to any questions ive had to date, ive followed the instructions here to start servicing / going over the whole car... ive rebuilt the odometer which had not run for some 10-15years following instructions here, so im very indebtted to all you fellow 40 series owners that make this place the place it really is!

I hope i can share and add great things here and hope you enjoy my photos.

Ive had the car now for a little over 6 months, in that time it has been my daily driver (tho i dont drive to work) and ive done some 15,000km mostly heading bush as often as we possibly can (have gone on about 10+ trips so far in the car generally 1000km give or take each time.)

Im the 3rd owner of the car, its previous owner having bought it second hand from a toyota dealer when the car was 4 years old (i have all receipts, manuals tools etc...) The PO of the car kept it always garaged and well hardly ever used it.

IE. the tyres on the car, i found out a week proir to this trip were 15years old - tho they still had plenty of tread left i wasnt going to risk heading into the Australian Outback on rubber that old and HARD so new tyres were purchase prior to this trip.

Now for our first serious trip in the old girl!

Michelle and I returned from our 2009 Strzelecki Adventure and it was quite the adventure.

We spent 11days in total travelling across the countryside, covering some 3900km in the old girl.

The trip started on Thursday 28th May, at approx 6pm once Michelle had finished work… we were headed for Mildura where id booked a cabin at the Desert City Caravan Park and made arrangements for a key to be left out for us given the expected arrival time of 2am give or take.

At about 2.10am we pulled in tired but extremely happy to be finally away and really looking forward to a Can or two before bed! Unfortunately, the ‘key’ was not left out as arranged and despite continued relentless efforts both phoning the Caravan Park and ringing the Night Call bell for 30minutes our spirits were broken!

I was very upset to say the least… It was extremely cold and I was to stubborn to pitch the tent on our first night given id paid for this bloody cabin etc. etc. etc.

After unsuccessfully trying to sleep in the Cabin of the truck (yeh…. Freaking dreaming I know, but it was worth a shot lol) we decided to hit the road again and continue on for Broken Hill. It was now 3am.

Out of Mildura, the countryside really starts to open up, the vast spaces just absorb any additional light the spotlights provide and my paranoia of hitting a Roo on the ‘first night’ of our trip kept me from driving above 85km/h so the going was quite slow!

(For the record, I do do a lot of night driving – long distance driving, hence we pushed on… or should I say, I pushed on while Michelle slept with 2 pillows on her side of the car!)

As the sun rose we were less the an hour from Broken Hill and I was starting to feel tired and considered pitching the tent on the side of the road lol…

We arrived in town around 8-8.30am and all was relatively quiet. We pulled into the local newsagency to ask of the local caravan parks and were given directions for 2. Even after having driven (and you do DRIVE an FJ45… as opposed to just steering J ) for 14hours straight, and having been awake for a full 24hours being one not to settle for second best I wonted to check out both caravan parks… one at each end of town!

Much to our surprise the first caravan park was CHOCKERS! I couldn’t believe it, there was what appeared to be a giant sea of caravans and motor homes. On to the second and it was the exact same situation… I seriously couldn’t believe what my eyes were seeing, having been on the road for so long and come so far I was almost distressed to see this many people around!

Again there were caravans, campers, Winnabegos and even a couple of bloody huge 5th wheel type rigs behind some freaking real trucks!

So it was time for bed…. The park manager was so kind enough to let us into the cabin there and then at 8.30-9am so we could shower and then get some sleep!

Awaking around 12noon I stepped outside and into a ghost town lol… there was nothing around but the ‘Vans etc… all the cars had disappeared. Being quite disappointed with the town of Broken Hill (just wasn’t what id expected) we hit the road for Silverton to we could see the Mad Max car J

Honestly I have no idea where all these ‘grey nomads’ go during the day because we didn’t see anyone on the road to Silverton and once in town (lol is it really a town!) there were a total of about 8 vehicles present.

We had lunch in the pub then waiting for an opportunity to snap a few photos beside ‘the’ car then it was back to the road taking in the sights.

By late arvo the caravan park started coming back to life as one by one the nomads J retuned to the ‘Vans and chatted with each others neighbours. We had a lovely bbq and a few drinks and chatted away with anyone willing.

3609723290_49ef4489ba.jpg

3608908709_de08a4ac70.jpg

3609725098_984aa9b882.jpg

Saturday we were off again, up well before the sun and heading North! The road out of town is a beautiful drive but eventually the tarmac runs out and its mostly a dirt road to Tibooburra. With the sun rise came the animals and there were a LOT of kangaroos about. I guess it was inevitable… again I just seem to be paranoid about hitting something lately. (With 10-15years on the road camping etc. regularly I hit my first animal (Roo) earlier this year)

Anyways in the blink of an eye a good sized Skippy bounced out of nowhere and slammed into my door with an extremely loud BANG!!! We pulled up and I got out to check the damage, of which I couldn’t actually find any (at the time L) then we went back to check out the roo. He was farked… I wont go into details but imagine using your head to head butt a car travelling at 80km/h. Sadly he still needed finishing off. On a positive note he ricocheted a good 5-10m off the car to the very edge of the road and didn’t require moving.

We arrived in Tibooburra spot on 12noon and let me say that it is my kind of town! I absolutely loved the town / vibe of the place. We had a couple of drinks and a wonderful meal at the pub. Id say we were almost there for 2 hours – sitting out the front of the pub, I really didn’t wont to go anywhere but we had to push on.

Our plan was to maybe camp somewhere along Bore Track on the Bollards Lagoon property if the owner allowed. The road out of Tibooburra quickly deteriorated and the going was quite tough and SLOW. We actually passed a couple of 4x4s with large caravans in tow which i found surprising. We arrived at Cameron’s Corner just before 4.30pm, sadly we had to keep making ground so we stopped only long enough to snap a couple of photos at the marker before continuing on.

Arriving at the Bollard Lagoon property we pulled up and went over to the house to speak with the owners re: camping off the Bore Track somewhere for the night but the owner wasn’t home and the people that we spoke to were a bit iffy (fair enough) in saying yes – basically saying they thought he allowed it so we decided to hold off camping within the property which ment continuing on for another 70+ km!

With the sun setting the clouds were seriously threatening rain. We pulled off the road on some high ground and in the falling light quickly setup camp and started cooking.

As the sun set, we could see 2 very obvious glowing spots in the distance from the Gas and oil works no doubt… As night fell the constant noise could be heard from the Gas and oil plants. So much so that I was quite annoyed at the time – thinking ive come all this way to get away from the city lights and noise and its bloody followed me! Sometime around 12midnight the rain started, very lite but continuous. It had set in that’s for sure…

3608913985_402bdee69e.jpg

3608911065_92eba831f2.jpg

3609852682_b77e2a16dc.jpg

3609853508_6a4fe04840.jpg

We awoke to more rain, and it was obvious we wouldn’t be going anywhere for at least one day. Michelle was happy, she bought about a dozen books to read for the trip… I had my trusty old game boy but it was tough being stuck in the tent for so long. The rain finally eased around lunchtime although the sky threatened more rain all day and into the night. Just my luck I thought… all this bloody way and I still haven’t been rewarded with a sky full of stars and total silence!

Having spent the entire day by the side of the road Michelle had really warmed to the spot despite being ‘stuck’ there in the middle of nowhere with no one else about except for the constant relentless drone of machinery on the horizon.

3609039925_cb183b2169.jpg

3609040353_752d070485.jpg

3609854748_8afe7c87e8.jpg

Monday morning the sun finally rose and the sky looked promising. I went for a little walk down along the road for a while and the ground was once again firm! Still, I was quite worried about travelling on the roads after rain with stories of massive fines etc… playing in the back of my mind we eventually packed up the tent and started back on our way towards Innamincka.

About 20-30km down the track we came across another ‘camp’ like ours! I was a wonderful site to see and we stopped for 15-20minutes to chat with the lovely couple we would eventually run into quite a few more times in the coming days.

Neither of us knew how much further there was to go before the track became a really good proper ‘road’ of sorts as our intentions were to get off the ‘Bore track’ and take the quickest route to Innamincka given the recent rain.

We continued on another 10km from their camp and ran into a couple of Gas and oil workers on the road and we stopped and ask of the track conditions ahead etc… (again still somewhat worried about exactly when it was ‘right’ to be on the roads after rain) and they said we were about 5 minutes away from the ‘main’ road towards Innamincka from which it was about 50odd km of pristine gravel roads to travel on!

Pulling into Innamincka was a fantastic feeling, it’s a wonderful little place and it was nice to see a few fellow travellers (but not to many!) after being stopped up on the side of the track with the rain for 2 nights. I wasn’t really sure what to make of some of the cars there tho… Obviously quite a few people continue on when the tracks are WET. I was very relieved at least, knowing we’d done the right thing stopping and the relatively clean underbelly of our car certainly showed that here in town.

We had another fantastic pub feed at Innamincka, and a couple of cans! Followed by a nice hot shower, fuel, camping pass etc. etc. etc. then we were off again… heading out to Coongie Lakes.

Let me get straight to the point… The road out to Coongie Lakes was Farked! By far the worst track we’d been on this trip, and we had 2.5hours to go. There was evidence of people having travelled in / out in the wed with the middle of the road completely carved up in places and plenty of standing water still about. Where to camp wasn’t entirely obvious once you enter the area, driving around it became obvious that it was simply a matter of pull up where ever you are happy with the views and camp!

Fortunately we were able to find a great secluded spot and couldn’t hear or see and evidence of another human nearby! Michelle would add at this point, sadly evidence of Dingos etc… was all to obvious J

We managed to cook and sit back over a couple of drinks without being carried away by the mozzies then as always the sand makes for a great sleeping surface and a good nights sleep was had by both of us.

At this point we were starting to question our travel plans, and it was obvious that we wouldn’t do the area justice if we intended to travel home / spend a few nights through the Flinders Ranges as originally planned. So we decided we would spend a few more nights around Innamincka.

3609041143_a4eb0f523a.jpg

3609855564_52832da4d3.jpg

3609858356_98ed18b0f8.jpg

3609044773_87e99825ee.jpg

3609859290_7bf74e59b0.jpg

Tuesday morning, much to my dissatisfaction we headed off after only one night at the Coongie Lakes and drove back into Innamincka… A little slower this time round and with a little less air in the tyres but still – the track sucked!

Back to the shower block, we ran into a fellow 4x4 forum member who recognised our car and we had a little chat etc… After another nice hot shower we sat down for another feed (and drink!) at the Innamincka Pub before setting off to find a camp site for the night.

The plan was to spend on night on “Wills” side of Innamincka and one night on “Burkes” side. We drove in and investigated all of the camp sites along the river only to back track to Ski Beach were we again ran into Paul and his friends camped in a great little spot beside the creek. After another quick chat we setup camp with his group and had a few drinks down by the creek with fishing rods in hand!

After a rather big night on the bottle, I finally had a solid nights sleep where by the sun actually rose before I did.

Wednesday, finally greeted us with a cloudless blue sky! After a quick breakfast we said out goodbyes to Paul and his group and we hit the road again. After topping up the fuel and some food supplies we headed out to the Dig Tree which honestly was a bit of a let down. We spent all of about 1 minute MAXIMUM there before heading back to the Burke and Wills Bridge for lunch. It was a beautiful little shaded area beside the bridge and we got the BBQ and chairs out for a decent break and feed. It was still ‘cool’ none the less travelling out into QLD but I was very disappointed to see that they charge a fee to ‘access’ the dig tree after constantly opening the wallet around Innamincka, paying to enter the Innamincka reserve then again for each night camped there I was all paid up and happy until we got to the dig tree!

From there we travelled back towards Innamincka with the intention of camping either at Burkes Memorial or the Cullyamurra Waterhole, pulling into Burkes first we were rewarded with the whole place to ourselves! We didn’t even check out Cullyamurra after finding the best spot alone the creek at Burkes so we unloaded the car and setup camp… at about 3.30-4pm (the earliest we’d setup the tent so far on this trip!)

I tried my hand at fishing again – without luck! And I donated a brand freaking new $22.99 lure to the creek that flew straight off the line when on my second cast into the creek (I really need to have someone show me how to tie a proper knot before we go fishing again!) So that was the end of my fishing in the Cooper!

Oh before I forget, upon arriving at this camp site… I carefully drove over what appeared to be an old fire place only to find it was still EXTREAMLY hot and going under the top layer of ash… To say I wasn’t impressed is putting it lightly, I mean it was no more then 5m from the waters edge, would have been so hard to fill up a bucket of water and put it out properly… I chucked on a thick bit of wood and it was going in minutes! Lazy stupid pricks is all I can say.

Sadly, at Burkes memorial one was again greeted with the constant sound of machinery all night from I assume something to do with the Gas and Oil works in the whole area… (Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t loud but its constant and if your looking for peace and silence… you don’t get the silence!)

3609859592_50cf8e8473.jpg

3609860172_2db7ef7c48.jpg

3609860942_645c1b1eda.jpg

3609057255_56bffbf747.jpg

3609047541_ed7b31d831.jpg

Thursday, we finally had to leave Innamincka and start heading back towards home L

After filling up with fuel again and saying goodbye to some of the people we’d met along the way we were off nice and early and heading down the OLD Strezlecki!

The track was in fantastic condition but as with most of the tracks out there the going is slow and the distances great! We stopped in the middle of nowhere for lunch before continuing on towards the Montecollina Bore where we would spend our last night in the ‘outback’.

We arrived at the Bore late in the arvo and there were already some 4-5 other groups there, of which there were a couple of Caravans and a couple of bloody generators! We managed to pitch the tent behind a large sand dune and well out of site but not so much sound of the others (and especially not the generators!) After setting up camp, I set out in digging a mini spa beside the bore as ive photos of similar things done online J and after an hour or so of HARD manual labour my work of art was complete and I was looking forward to a nice relaxing dip with a couple of drinks! Once we were ready we moved the hose on the bore and filled my spa… Once she was full I was all set until we stick out toes in and nearly burnt them off!

Hahaha, all that work and it was useless lol – I couldn’t believe how hot that water was! Ive spent a bit of time in the 43deg C pool at the Peninsula Hot Springs near our place, that’s bloody hot - but this was a joke… You couldn’t sit in it for 5 seconds!

Anyways, I had a couple of drinks and sat back with the sounds of the generators and pretended I was in a nice warm natural hot spring lol.

3609047927_da4cec32e7.jpg

3609058129_dcd6aae14f.jpg

3609048927_1fb8b75eaf.jpg

3609049691_9f3ea475f5.jpg

3609057721_ef74319f76.jpg

3609872254_40e10c75ac.jpg

Friday, we were half way through the Strzelecki sadly it was almost over. We decided to go right through to Lyndhurst then on to Port Augusta for the night. Funnily enough IMO the section of the Strzelecki between Lyndhurst and the Bore is the roughest! The sealed road was a welcome relief indeed.

Shortly after passing through Lyndhurst the heavens opened up again and it rained on and off most of the way to Port Augusta. I really welcomed the rains at this stage of the trip… When we pulled up at Port Augusta I checked the under body of the car and it was as good as new! No guff under the wheel arches etc…. free carwash J

We had an awesome meal at the pub there then retired for the night on the big couch with foxtel and a king size bed! (Funny how good foxtel is when you have it once a year!)

3609873422_39bd2d9803.jpg

3609863968_9dff997a6b.jpg

3609050465_cece122624.jpg

3609864798_5fa16f8598.jpg

3609051175_63deb5f482.jpg

3609051521_f74b3cb6e1.jpg

3609866320_927712debe.jpg

3609053277_de9d893ccf.jpg

3609867728_704729d1bc.jpg

3609868034_edf7ae8ba4.jpg

3609868470_7b3113bf3c.jpg

3609055839_0aeb4d1eaf.jpg

3609870124_8ac8db7ea6.jpg

3609874968_5612c3094b.jpg

3609874638_82224a1a87.jpg

Saturday, the roads where chaos! After seeing maybe 100cars total on the trip thus far I think we passed 100car in the first 5minutes on the hwy back towards Mildura!

After passing through Burra for lunch I finally noticed the damage done to my car door from the run in with Skippy! I was very annoyed briefly before realizing what must have caused the dint in the door. With the dirt / dust on the door it was completely hidden from me hence id finally noticed it after the rain and a quick visit to the car was when we were leaving Post Augusta.

Again the traffic was heavy with people heading away for the long weekend. It was nice to be heading in the opposite direction to the masses but arriving in Mildura Saturday night I nearly died with the number of people about! Everywhere was booked out but we were luckily able to get a little cabin at the Red Cliffs caravan park where things were much quieter.

Was a lovely final night on the trip… after getting a Pizza and drinks to take away in Mildura I was starting to think id be continuing on all night and just driving all the way home!

3609060539_71965696fd.jpg

Sunday, The whole region got a heap of water overnight and the drive home passing the Hattah-kulkyne NP I swear there was whole areas with a lite covering of SNOW!

Sunday was a long day! Neither Michelle or I wonted to be heading home, and after 3900km my ass was seriously starting to hurt sitting on the old bench seats!

It rained a little on and off as we passed back through Melbourne, then we got stuck in very heavy traffic on the M1 with 2 accidents within 1km of each other… What a way to finish the trip lol.

All in all it was a fantastic trip, and we are now hoping to get back out there to at least to the Flinders Ranges properly before the year is out!

........... Overall the car performed 100% flawlessly as did the brand new BFG Muddies. Basically from home to Broken hill they ran at 41PSI all round. From Broken Hill through through to Lyndhurst they sat on 28PSI before going back to 41PSI for the run home.

There is not a single mark on the tyres. Again im extremely happy with them thus far!

Thanks for reading if you got this far, I know ive sorted peated off towards the end! I started mucking up the order of the photos in the end so sorry for that.

I wish id taken more, ive only uploaded half of that i took but driving and taking the photos doesnt really work well together! When i stop i dont wont to get out of the car then start taking pics, cos im buggered from driving lol!

I took a tripod and 2 cameras on the trip, a P&S and a DSLR + 3 lenses. I didnt use the tripod once because it was in the back under all the rope, tarp, gear, locked box etc...! All of the photos here are straight off the camera resized and minus the numberplates.

Travis.

PS - please forgive the many typos and any other jibberish... i haven't proof read anything and ive done in the one sitting so again this is basically straight out of my head and as fast as i can type!

Again guys, i hope you like this trip report altho i understand many of you wont understand exactly the places we have traveled but basically put we traveled from the bottom right corner of Australia, right up into the middle crossing 4 states, Victoria, NSW, SA and QLD.

We like to get away camping as often as possible and if you'll like reading my trip reports id be most happy to post again with more photos as we get away.

Travis

Hi Travis,
Nice trip
Ditch the seats for a pair of commodore seats that you can raise or lower as the terrain and visability require. You will actually find the old girl more comfortable.

For more current touring and track info check out exploroz.com

G'day mate! Great trip write up even though you seemed to have a few drama's, looks like it was quite the "adventure". Can't wait to do something like that in my truck after the rust is cutout and the turbo goes on! I've done a lot of trips but not that kind of distance. I had a great laugh at you trying to sleep in your truck, I would have not even considered it and would have put the tent up.

I'm suprised you are running so much air in your tyres at 41psi. My truck is already a teeth rattler but I couldn't imagine I'd have any teeth left if I ran my tyre pressures at 41psi, let alone needing a kidney transplant after a trip like that. I'd like to hear why you ran your tyre pressures so high.

Cheers

Welcome Travis, great trip report, thanks for sharing! Nice 40 too, it looks like it's been looked after. Are you going to post up some details of her?
....And pics too, everyone likes detailed pics! :D

Welcome to MUD!

Your rig is sweet! I enjoyed reading the trip log over my morning coffee. You have a good "mate" traveling with you, few are the women who will jump in an FJ45 for a back country trip!

Welcome my friend !! Excellent trip report, the pics are beautiful as well. As a side note, a friend was reading another trip report on a Sportster forum, had a pic of his bike in front of that Silverton Motel ! Thanks again:cheers:

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Tourboy - lol, you couldnt pay me to ditch the original factory bench seat from my 45 :hillbilly: Specially with something from a Holden Commodore haha.

The fact that my ass only stated going numb on the 11th day after spending on average 8+ hours a day in the seat has gotta say something for the old seats!

R2HKS - Thanks for the kind words! This wasnt the greatest distance coverent in that amount if time, ive done a few road trips (the biggest was about 8000km in 12 days.)

As for the tyres, the tyres that were on the FJ45 when i bought it were BFG Radial MTs in 265/75R16. I ran them at 36PSI on the blacktop and lowered as required in the bush... never had a problem. The new tyres, BFG MT KM2 in 285/75R16 are run at 41PSI on the blacktop as instructed by my tyre dealer and again lowered in the bush as required. They are smooth as hell, despite the noticable size difference (specially width) the steering is actually tonns liter now given the age on the previous tyres and how much they had hardened.

Falco80 - again thanks. Yes the beauty has been extreamly well looked after and i dare say the PO's pride and joy for the 25-26 years that he owned the car... He was just about crying the day we picked it up and drove away in it. (We picked up the car from his house in the country and drove it the 700km plus home and she didnt miss a beat!)

Coolerman - Ill pass on the complement to Michelle! She absolutly loves riding in the ol FJ45. She didnt really know what they looked like (specially inside) when we bought the car but we had a 10hour drive home in it to get up close and personal with it lol.

FJfool - thanks for the welcome! Silverton lol, there isnt much else to see out there... without the Mad Max car out there i dont think the town would exist any more lol.

Thanks again everyone, glad you enjoyed reading my trip report and ill be sure to keep you posted on our 45's activities in the future. Falco80 - yes id be happy to post up more photos and info on my FJ45 including the work ive done so far etc... and things i wont to do in the future.

Travis.

Dream Trip

That is truly a dream trip!

but I cant go:crybaby:

Great pics---wouldnt mind some more like that!

Hi All:

"Travis," thanks for sharing the trip report and the photos! :beer:

You have one good woman there to put up with that !! :eek:

I'd say you are one lucky fellow! :D

Regards,

Alan

G'day guys,

Just wonted to say hi again. I havent been on MUD much since we returned from the above trip but Michelle and i continue to get out quite regularly.

I spent about 2 months working in my backyard; on the backyard then finally started making some progress on the installation of my Long Range Fuel Tank.

I spent about a month deciding how id install the tank then with a final decision came the need for some new tools :) First up was to get myself a drill press, something ive wanted for many years now... finally with approval from the wife i set out in search of a QUALITY press; no made in china ****.

Settling for a bench top drill press (as i couldnt find a quality pedestal press locally) i then had to fabricate a small bench to mount the drill, which in turn meant learning to weld as id never successfully welded before. I purchased 5kg of ARC welding rods and just started practicing in the garage, within 2 days i was happy to build my bench.

Bench is 50x50x4mm thick Steel Square Hollow Section with a 6mm Steel top.
The bench weighs around 110-120kg, and the drill + vice is around 140kg; bolted through the bench top its fair to say she aint going anywhere! (The bench on the left weighs in close to 350-400kg with the 2 vices on top but otherwise empty.

4014091340_39445beacb.jpg

I havent progressed any further with the tank but at least now i have all of the tools to get the job done.

The old girl now sports a shinny new snorkel...

3892408480_aca493e82b.jpg

And one last photo from our most recent camping trip.

3987905805_c9c89f73bd.jpg

With any luck ill install the tank before Xmas, no i WILL have the tank installed by Xmas!

Travis.

Your 45 is beautiful!

I like the bench you made for the drill press. How'd the welding go? Did you buy a welder, or borrow one? The welder is probably the single most useful tool in our shop. From fabricating stuff for the trucks, to making shelves and benches it's simply easier to cut metal and weld it than to cut and fit wood. Funny how that works...

Looks like some fun area to explore. I must figure out how to get down there and rent or buy a cruiser to explore it with...

Dan

Thanks

Travis , Really enjoyed the great photos and details. Thanks for taking the time to post them . Fantastic looking truck. I read a great book about Australia " In A Sunburned Country " and your pics reminded me how much I would like to visit one day ! Welcome to Mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom