New American Built Adrenalin Off-Road Camper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1 Year Update

I've said most of what I have to say in the previous pages. I'm a year and nearly 50 nights in on the camper with 6 more coming up next week for Cruise Moab. My opinion of the camper, it's functionality and ability is that it has lived up to and blew the wheels off my expectations. I've had it on some of the most difficult trails that I've ever been on and it has never had a hickup, never had a break down and never caused frustration. In the year of towing it in more nasty situations than most I have had the following issues, All due to the way I drive it, ans all easily correctable.

Jocky Wheel: The handle on the jocky wheel broke off, and the tire got bent due to hitting a rock. I am replacing the wheel and mounting it inside of the frame rail where it will be more protected.

e-brake cable eyelet: I broke one of these off by hitting a rock. Ric kindly drilled, re-tapped and re-installed a new one. Problem Solved.

Freeze: It's not a camper that you want to keep water in in the winter. on the San Rafael Swell trip, evening temps dropped to ~10 degrees F, freezing the water in the lines and pump. It did this for three nights and no permanent damage was done to the faucets or pump. If camping in very cold weather, empty the lines and carry water in the vehicle. This isn't a shortcoming of the camper, just a fact of life with cold weather camping.

Slow leak from an air-bag: The drivers side developed a slow leak (noticeable after 2-3 days of sitting) in the airbag system, some soapy water an a few minutes revealed a loose connector that was resolved in minutes.

That's it. Those are the only issues I have had. It truly has been one of the camping items I think about least when getting ready for a trip. Each time I take it out, I get perma-grin on the trail.

I had the opportunity to speak with Ric recently and look at his current iteration of the camper. It has been an evolutionary improvement over the years and he is tailoring this model to the US market as well as export back to AU. The things that work have stayed the same, the things that needed minor improvement have been improved. I didn't get pics but here are some of the changes.

Front Storage: A Large, single front box replaces the double boxes that my camper has. This provides a little more versatility.

Better propane mount.

Swingout rear tire carrier: This is a pretty awesome piece of design work. In addition to providing the camper with better ballance and less toungue weight, the carrier now doubles as a table. When swung out, the tire rotates 90 degrees and a table top attaches to the top. It's faster than setting up my folding table and one less thing to carry. Also if the trailer is level, the table is level so there's no messing with adjusting legs. I'd still carry a table for my big outings but for weekend trips this looks perfect.

Lighter overall weight: replacing some of the plywood bed support with aluminum and modifying the front box has reduced the weight by nearly 100 lbs.

Larger Compressor: the airbag comressor is now larger.

More power options: there are more USB and 12V outlets inside and out.

Latches: the black plastic latches would let a little water in when pressure washing. The new latches are metal and completely water proof.

Modular control panel: The control panel is now in a drawer that can easily be removed from the camper quickly and completely. This makes working on electrical much easier.

Other than that, the bones of the camper are the same, the canvas is still the same heavy duty high quality. The frame is nearly identical, the body is the same, the kitchen is the same and the suspension is the same. I am considering upgrading to a new model but at the very early stages of that process....so there may be one on the market at a reduced rate.....

The only things I've added to the camper to make it beeter for our needs were the BFG ATs in a 31" size. The camper will actually accomodate 255/85R16s (33s) and that will likely be the next add on. I also use a Big Buddy Heater which has been remarkable. When it was 10 degrees outside, the interior temp was in the 50s with the heater on high. I get about 3-4 nights burn on a 20lb tank in cold weather.

I also added aDiscobed, camo-bed bunk cot in the Large size for the girls. It fits PERFECT on about 1/3 of the floor space of the camper making for true 4 person camping ability. Plenty big for my 6'2" and 220lb self too. I'll try to get pics up soon.

On to the pics, the real reason you guys are looking at the thread!

Far Beyond Swell. This annual gathering of Book Cliff Cruiser members was the first big test of the campers ability. The long miles, challenging terrain and cold nights tested man and machine.

Nice breakfast in the works.

Just having fun.

Lockhart Basin

Unfortunately, the most challenging part of the trail was dark.

This is white wash, a slickrock section. The integrated electric brakes help tremendously with control of the camper on steep spots like this. I'm using a Tekonsha Voyager which was recommended to me over other, sometimes more expensive controllers for off-road use. I have been 100% happy with it's control and adjustability.

Getting a trailer as large as the Adrenalin through the north end/waterfall portion of Lockhart speaks volumes of the driver as well as the trailer's design and construction. Kudos Jon...and nice report!

Dan

Love the pics and the B&W one with the old camper is really cool. Great update too... Thx!

-Daniel Kent

Here are a few photos from Black Dragon Canyon in the San Rafael Swell.

It was a busy month. I took the adrenalin on the Kokopelli twice, completing the last half one weekend and the entire trip as trip leader of the Cruise Moab Kokopelli overnight. Again, the camper performed up to and blew past my expectations. For the second trip, I added a 3" raiser receiver block. The negative of this setup is that I'm unable to open my tailgate with the trailer attached, the positive is that the tongue does not rub on the deep holes any more! I now carry both blocks with me and change out depending on conditions.

Pics from the first Kokopelli outing.

Great spot to eat. Aluminum does not get hot in the sun!

Beautiful pics! I love that part of the USA. I wish I lived closer.......

I have to ask:

D7K_4704-L.jpg

Are you seeing serious damage due to rocks and debris thrown up from the rear tires? Have you tried any removable mudflaps or skirts or blinds?

My eleven year old aluminum trailer is pretty darned sand blasted. I want to get an offroad teardrop, but would prefer it not get blasted.....

Thanks for any comments.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

There is definitely sand blasting and pitting occurring. on the front most panels. I am thinking of adding a sacrificial sheet of Al or diamond plate or something to that area. That or just let it age gracefully.

I can try to get a closer pic of it.

How about a bow screen similar to a Kimberly? The "black wedge" in front of the cargo box.

Moab_2011_011.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have been selling the ķamparoo since 1999 with a price point at under 7 k for a base model weighing in at 700 lbs. The Trans Continental is a grand more. Can take rough terrain but nothing compares to Adventure Trailers for real off road camping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom