New addition to the Stable (Project Magilla) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The building up weld on the broken stud then welding a nut on it worked like a charm. Took 20 minutes to extract all four using this method. Definitely wouldn't want to do this with the engine in a vehicle, but with access, it was a cake walk.
26344.jpeg

Engine is now freshly sealed. New water pump, idler, belts, and tensioners. Waiting on the intake manifold gaskets, new PS pump, and exhaust manifolds.
IMG_20210111_170923514.jpg

And the recipient has been rolled onto the lift for deconstruction.
IMG_20210111_170932278.jpg

The old 3FE is ready to come out. Finishing up the removal of the engine wiring harness and separating the wires I need to keep, then pulling her out tomorrow.
IMG_20210116_203838016.jpg

Good news is...the harness is stripped and most of the wires needed are identified.
IMG_20210120_192902610.jpg

The not so good news is...a lot of this nonsense was found. Multiple splices with mismatched wire colors and tap-in's. Fairly certain this was the source of my intermittent starting issues. :bang:
IMG_20210120_192910190.jpg

IMG_20210120_192915200.jpg

Time to study the EWD manual and pin out the connectors to sort out the ones that can get depinned. Wish me luck!

Sent the LS injectors out to be ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested. Truck was sitting for quite a while and I didn't really want to drop $600+ on a new set of OEM injectors. Glad I did, as 5 of the eight were not functional in their removed state. Initial flow test result:
CIMG1593.JPG

And after the cleaning and backflush:
CIMG1597.JPG

That was $130 well spent.
Next step is cutting out the FJ80 motor mounts and prepping the frame for burning in the GM ones. Hoping to have the adapter bolted up to the transmission and a trial fit of the drivetrain by the end of the weekend.

Who did you send your injectors to? Looking to send the ones in my 22re out.

Who did you send your injectors to? Looking to send the ones in my 22re out.

The owner, Jim, is real easy to deal with and a knowledgable guy. I've got no affiliation, but can't say enough about their customer service. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

The owner, Jim, is real easy to deal with and a knowledgable guy. I've got no affiliation, but can't say enough about their customer service. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

Thank you for the information, with 244K on the injectors on the 4Runner I am sure they could use some love as well. Great build so far!

Awesome, thank you very much. Will check them out. Progress is looking great.

Got the Marks transmission to transfer case adapter fitted. Very simple task, as the output shaft on the Denali 6l80E was the right length and didn't need to be cut down for the coupler shaft. Just had to clearance one casting ridge in the trans case top where the shifter mount sits.
IMG_20210129_072400245.jpg

New exhaust manifolds, engine mounts and isolators, wires, plugs, and P/S pump installed. Should be positioning everything Sunday and burning in the new frame side mounts. (Don't mind the filthy oil pan and filter, want to make sure the pan clears before I clean and reseal it)
IMG_20210129_072419836.jpg

With some help from Stosh Jr. and his friend, we got the engine and trans set in place and mounts tacked in. Got some clearance issues between the P/S pump pulley and steering box. After looking things over, I think the Marks chassis side mounts might be on the wrong sides. Dawned on me that the Aussie steering boxes are on the opposite side of the frame and therefore they would need the A/C compressor clearance over on that side. Anyway, I'll get them cut out and swapped around this week. Also looks like I may need to go with an F-body oil pan for better tie rod clearance. More to follow...
91 LC LS Swap.jpg

Last edited:
Slow week for progress on this build, between work and the snow strom. Performed a part-time-ectomy on the transfer case today. Installed the Marks center diff spool and removed all the OEM spider gears, etc...(spare parts on the right).

Really curious to try the CDL actuator while the case is out of the truck to confirm everything works, as this is what engages 4WD now. Any good ideas of how to try this?
IMG_20210206_175221654.jpg

Waiting on the knuckle rebuild kit for the front end. FIgured it would be easier to install the new lock out hubs while the front end is apart for the knuckles.
Stosh Jr. is coming over Monday to help swap the motor mounts around and get them burned in permanently, provided the clearances are right this time.

Stosh Jr. came over today and we got the motor mounts swapped and welded in.
IMG_20210208_154429570.jpg

Much happier with the positioning and clearances now. Plan on mating up the T-case and checking front driveshaft clearance next. Looks like it will be okay, but to get the engine centered, the passenger side is slightly lower than the drivers.
IMG_20210208_230158091.jpg

IMG_20210208_230204159.jpg

Wish I could take credit for it Gary, but that's the work of Stosh Jr. He's a Boilermaker by trade.

Knuckle rebuild kit arrived, so decided to take a break from engine swap stuff and do the messy knuckle job. New trunion bearings, wheel bearings, races, seals, wipers, rotors, and inner axle seals installed.
IMG_20210218_171742540.jpg

Then finished up the part time kit by adding the new lock out hubs. I've never run the AVM hubs before, but Marks says they hold up well. Time will tell...
IMG_20210218_212224092.jpg

I see where a lot of people say you can not use the Marks motor mounts as they are for RHD. I wondered why not switch them left to right like you did. Looks like it will work. Keep at it!

I have to tell you @matzell , if I were to do it again, I'd avoid the Marks mounts. I wound up needing to modify them again to allow the engine to sit low enough in the frame rails. If you just swap them side to side, it centers the engine nicely, but the Vortec truck intake will not fit under the hood and firewall clearance is tight. The mounts have a top flange that sits on the top of the frame rail for added strength, so they needed to be cut off. I believe they were designed for the standard LS performance car intake, which is much lower profile.

At any rate, all the welding had to be cut out, the mounts modified, and scab plates made. That all gets fitted and burned in today or tomorrow. Engine and trans have been in and out half a dozen times now. Hopefully this is the last time! :bang:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom