New addition to the Stable (Project Magilla) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Straight duals off the manifolds back to a Magnaflow (2 in, 1 out), no "H" pipe or cross over before the muffler. The drivers side wraps over top of transfer case output flange. Muffler is positioned parallel to the fuel tank on the passenger side forward of the rear axle.

Well done! That is a fine specimen.

Thanks @surfishjoe . It's a real hoot to drive.

Need to work on regulating my right foot again. I've gotten so accustomed to just matting the accelerator in Land Cruisers. Need to pay attention with this one! :cool:

Just got around to installing my Christmas present today. They sure are pretty!
IMG_20220119_115428520_HDR.jpg

Finally got around to tackling the rear locker wiring harness. For some reason the Low Range Off Road aftermarket harness plug didn't match the Mr. T locker actuator plug wiring. A big thanks to @dr_dobro for hooking me up with a section of OEM locker harness that had the correct plug on it. Was able to de-pin the OEM plug and swap it with the Low Range one. No cutting or splicing, which was a huge time saver.

Both F/R are working now!
IMG_20220127_225032609_HDR.jpg

Picked up a DFG Offroad drawer system while I was travelling through Jacksonville, FL last month. Had a few minutes to get them installed tonight. Simple process and the drawers are really nice for the money, they even include a fridge slide and side wing kit. Looks like the drawers should hold up well, time will tell. Carlos @dfgoffroad was a great guy to deal with and very helpful in explaining the product when I stopped to pick them up. Solid, reasonably priced option, if you are considering a drawer system.
IMG_20220412_221636038.jpg
IMG_20220412_221650085.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on the DFG drawers. Mine of course arrived 2 weeks after the KOH trip I bought them for, but I'm still stoked about them after a full summer of use. The only thing is that the wing covers are separating a bit and just require some more glue/staples

I'm also very curious about how any trail testing went with this build. I just started seriously looking into this exact swap into my LX450 that never sees the outside of my driveway unless it's heading to the mountains

I'm also very curious about how any trail testing went with this build. I just started seriously looking into this exact swap into my LX450 that never sees the outside of my driveway unless it's heading to the mountains
The rig has been on a few local wheeling runs and performed flawlessly. Took it out to CO, UT, and NM and was very pleased with the way it worked. It had one stumble at high altitude. I occasionally get a lean code at idle and one came in while refueling in Moab. I didn't reset the code as we were trying to hustle back to the trails. Later that day, as we were steadily gaining altitude, the truck stumbled and stalled. Acted as though it had no fuel. Once the code was reset it fired right up and ran fine. I can only assume that the code somehow locked the ECM fuel mapping, causing the issue.
Other than that, my only minor complaint would be off road fuel range. Towing a 1,500 lb trailer it only gets about 9-10mpg. Two spare Jerry cans of fuel was sufficient out west, but I'm still considering a long range tank.
Overall, it is still the single best modification I made to this truck. It pulls like a freight train compared to stock, cruises at 70-75 mph on the highway at roughly 2,000 RPM, sounds awesome, and does better on fuel than stock. It is currently our daily driver, and I've got no regrets about the swap. If you have the ability to do it, or the funds to pay for it, go for it! You won't be sorry.

The rig has been on a few local wheeling runs and performed flawlessly. Took it out to CO, UT, and NM and was very pleased with the way it worked. It had one stumble at high altitude. I occasionally get a lean code at idle and one came in while refueling in Moab. I didn't reset the code as we were trying to hustle back to the trails. Later that day, as we were steadily gaining altitude, the truck stumbled and stalled. Acted as though it had no fuel. Once the code was reset it fired right up and ran fine. I can only assume that the code somehow locked the ECM fuel mapping, causing the issue.
Other than that, my only minor complaint would be off road fuel range. Towing a 1,500 lb trailer it only gets about 9-10mpg. Two spare Jerry cans of fuel was sufficient out west, but I'm still considering a long range tank.
Overall, it is still the single best modification I made to this truck. It pulls like a freight train compared to stock, cruises at 70-75 mph on the highway at roughly 2,000 RPM, sounds awesome, and does better on fuel than stock. It is currently our daily driver, and I've got no regrets about the swap. If you have the ability to do it, or the funds to pay for it, go for it! You won't be sorry.
10mpg while towing half a modern civic on a trail is way better than the 10 I average just trying to lug the 4.5 over rocks. Did you ever figure out what was causing the lean code?

Yes. There's a 135 degree intake elbow off of the throttle body that causes mild turbulence at idle. Tried a laminar flow insert by the MAF, but still throws the code on occasion.

I've got new 90 degree low profile elbows and a new air box that needs to be installed. Then it'll go back to the tuner for final dial in runs. Fairly sure this will remedy the issue.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info, true costs, etc...

I can attest to all of this, the truck performed flawlessly and torqued right up multiple ledges, boulders & washouts without complaint, whereas my 4.5 stocker needed more right foot action getting up & over things.

Got tired of opening and closing the rear swing out's and hatch every time we needed access to the fridge in the back. Looked at some of the options out there for gull wing windows and was floored at the price tags on these things. So I grabbed some 1/8" 6061 aluminum and got to chopping it up. Whipped up a home brew set to replace the rear quarter windows. Added some truck cap hinges, a gas strut for opening, and Southco locking latches. Pretty pleased with how they turned out, with the exception of the rattle can paint job. May end up Monsta lining them when it warms up some.

Closed (forgot to wipe off the fingerprints :doh:)
Gull Wing closed.jpg

Open
Gull Wing open.jpg

Got tired of opening and closing the rear swing out's and hatch every time we needed access to the fridge in the back. Looked at some of the options out there for gull wing windows and was floored at the price tags on these things. So I grabbed some 1/8" 6061 aluminum and got to chopping it up. Whipped up a home brew set to replace the rear quarter windows. Added some truck cap hinges, a gas strut for opening, and Southco locking latches. Pretty pleased with how they turned out, with the exception of the rattle can paint job. May end up Monsta lining them when it warms up some.

View attachment 3251839
Open
View attachment 3251842
Wow, so nice. So many questions, how did you install the upper hinges (obviously don’t know the condition without the channeled frame) what about the gasket? Any noise at speed and water.
Looks pretty cool. Dean and I want to do this to his truck

Thanks Daniel. Was undecided about the body side hinge mount, but ended up deciding that the sheet metal on the body was too thin to successfully drill and tap with any degree of confidence. So I bought a cheap Rivnut tool off Amazon and installed two 6mm rivnuts per door. Also bought the bulb seal gasket and door edge trim off Amazon and was really happy with the quality and fit.
Not enough time for real world testing yet, as I just finished them today, but they didn't leak at the car wash and I don't hear any whistling at speeds up to 55mph.
Saved the template to cut out the aluminum. If you're interested in using it to make a set, I'd be happy to lend it to you guys.

Thanks Daniel. Was undecided about the body side hinge mount, but ended up deciding that the sheet metal on the body was too thin to successfully drill and tap with any degree of confidence. So I bought a cheap Rivnut tool off Amazon and installed two 6mm rivnuts per door. Also bought the bulb seal gasket and door edge trim off Amazon and was really happy with the quality and fit.
Not enough time for real world testing yet, as I just finished them today, but they didn't leak at the car wash and I don't hear any whistling at speeds up to 55mph.
Saved the template to cut out the aluminum. If you're interested in using it to make a set, I'd be happy to lend it to you guys.
Truly love the concept and your approach. Dean has been eyeing down a system like that from Venezuela but is just too expensive….
Thank you Stan, definitely could use it plus your tips just it might be a little too soon for him !
Hope to connect soon. It’s been a while
Daniel

View attachment 3251839
Open
View attachment 3251842
Go Stosh!!!!!

Installed a long range fuel cell in preparation for a trip north into the Canadian Rockies, to the Arctic Ocean, and back down through Alaska this summer. @rubicondon53 got a really cool LRT installed in his 80 last year and I was super impressed with the range he got with it. Figured he wouldn't want to be stopping every 250 miles for fuel on this upcoming trip, so I got busy putting this system together.

Started with a 20 gallon fuel cell I picked up cheap on FB Marketplace. Stosh Jr. fabbed up a stout mounting bracket that utilized the cross member in the front and a frame rail cross tie in the rear of the tank, placing the fuel cell where the spare used to reside. Then he went to work on a nice dual filler neck to allow filling of either tank utilizing the top of the OEM filler. Installed a Holley Blue fuel pump to transfer the fuel from the aux tank to the main tank and a cheap Ebay Chinese digital fuel gauge. Whole thing works great and only cost a few hundred in parts and supplies. Holds a little over 21 gallons and can transfer the entire contents from the aux to the main tank in about 12-13 minutes. Should give me 500+ miles of range now!

Fuel Cell
Fuel cell.jpg

Pump
Aux fuel pump.jpg

Dual filler neck
Dual filler neck.jpg

Installed
LRT.jpg

Digital gauge
Aux Fuel Gauge.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back