New 80 series owner in VB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sup? I'm in Richmond.
Hey man, so I'm looking at doing small upgrades and servicing since I'm not 100 percent when the last owner did everything. Included rebuilding the knuckle wanted to know what's a good place to get parts. Any online site or just go straight to toyota.

Hey man, so I'm looking at doing small upgrades and servicing since I'm not 100 percent when the last owner did everything. Included rebuilding the knuckle wanted to know what's a good place to get parts. Any online site or just go straight to toyota.

I bought my knuckle service kit from Cruiser Outfitters. I was happy with everything. McGeorge for any OEM parts (or Partsouq). I've done a ton of baselining work on mine so if you have any questions let me know. I also own a shop if there's anything you don't want to tackle.

I bought my knuckle service kit from Cruiser Outfitters. I was happy with everything. McGeorge for any OEM parts (or Partsouq). I've done a ton of baselining work on mine so if you have any questions let me know. I also own a shop if there's anything you don't want to tackle.
Does the cruiser outfitter kit come with the axle shaft seal?

Welcome to 'mud.

Your 1st stop should be the 80 series section FAQ HERE <-link.
That being said, there aren't a whole lot of resources in the VA Beach area for Cruiser specific work, that I am aware of. There were a few Cruiser Heads down there a few years ago, but there isn't much action in the Mid-Atlantic TLCA Clubhouse as of late.

Certain things should be straight Toyota, but most other stuff has good aftermarket support. Also, check the vendors section on the Forums main page for supporting vendors. If they are on here regularly and contributing, you can bet they are a fairly reliable source for parts/service.

Let us know if you are ever in the NOVA area.

Cheers,
Stump

Does the cruiser outfitter kit come with the axle shaft seal?

Yeah, if I remember right you can choose either the OEM seal or the Marlin seal (I chose OEM). The grease I used was Valvoline Moly. I want to say I used 2 or 3 tubs.

Yeah, if I remember right you can choose either the OEM seal or the Marlin seal (I chose OEM). The grease I used was Valvoline Moly. I want to say I used 2 or 3 tubs.

If you get the 'tub' of moly, you will use just under 2. if you get 'tubes' of moly, you will use about 3 - 4. You also want to purchase separate wheel bearing grease. Don't use moly grease on the wheel bearings.

The motor has a pretty serious oil leak I plan on cleaning up all the old oil and tracking it down but if it gets out of my comfort zone I'd definitely bring it your way. What's your shop called?

The motor has a pretty serious oil leak I plan on cleaning up all the old oil and tracking it down but if it gets out of my comfort zone I'd definitely bring it your way. What's your shop called?

VA Garage in Ashland (near 95 and 295). Mine had all the classic oil leaks too (distributor o ring, oil pump gasket, front crank seal). Definitely start with cleaning and degreasing as much as you can.. It'll be much easier to work on and ID leaks. After I degreased mine I could watch the oil just run out of the oil pump housing.

Best to do a thorough degreasing of your engine, then monitor for leaks and how much oil, if any, you have to add between oil changes.
How many miles on the engine?
Chances are the crank pulley seal, oil pump seal and distributor o-ring and possibly the valve cover are leaking. They don’t leak heaps, but it adds up.

Best to do a thorough degreasing of your engine, then monitor for leaks and how much oil, if any, you have to add between oil changes.
How many miles on the engine?
Chances are the crank pulley seal, oil pump seal and distributor o-ring and possibly the valve cover are leaking. They don’t leak heaps, but it adds up.
The motor has 277k on it. Yea the guy said he thinks its the oil pump. Are those seals hard to do?

The motor has 277k on it. Yea the guy said he thinks its the oil pump. Are those seals hard to do?
They are fiddly... It is a job that can be done in a day, but requires a couple uncommon tools (big ass socket and specific Philips screw driver head.
If you are new to wrenching and new to these trucks, I would advise having some help from someone who has done the job. There are a few things that can go wrong and those things will ruin your day.

If you do decide to tackle the oil pump seal, or anything else in that vicinity, be very careful of the nipple on the top tank of the radiator, driver's side.

It's very fragile...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom