New 4 dr troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Something to fuel the rumour mill. Its a thread on Exploz and it starts like this.
"Hi again,

I was talking to my local Yota dealer the other day he said the new wagon will look like a big rav and have 680nm.

The new troopie will be a 4 door type similar to the early 70 series jap prado. Don't know what motor.

Has anyone seen pics yet. Toyota Australia denied all.

Has anyone had probs with their HDJ78 RV. I don't know wether to get one now or wait to see how soft the new ones are possibly driving down or up the price of the 78 when they come out.

Regards Tour Boy"

Could this be HZJ76/77 for Oz??:D

Hi there

Well I will wait until I see pictures - BUT:

Within the mining industry we convert troopies by putting in the side door conversion for Underground buses.

The Toyota dealer on site did state the other day this wil probaly stop with the introduction of the new troopies (side door conversion possible 4 door) - and he is very good with his information.

Bring it on - also as we have heard strong possibilities new engine as well? - V8 Diesel?

Wayne

Wayne BJ73 said:
Well I will wait until I see pictures - BUT:

Within the mining industry we convert troopies by putting in the side door conversion for Underground buses.

The Toyota dealer on site did state the other day this wil probaly stop with the introduction of the new troopies (side door conversion possible 4 door) - and he is very good with his information.

Bring it on - also as we have heard strong possibilities new engine as well? - V8 Diesel?

Wayne
I believe and its only a hunch,but Toyota will reserve the V8 diesel for the 130 or whatever they call it, for at least a couple of years.
They usually have a backlog of engines when a new model comes in so they use them up in the commercial vehicles.
Also new owners of top of the range models dont like to see a new released motors in a cheaper model.
It kind of degrades their new toy;)
But its nice to dream

Toyota watches the aftermarket industry closely. When the Trekker sold well in the late 70's in the US, they came up with the Surf/4Runner a few years later. After the Sunchaser conversion on Celicas, the next generation of Celicas offered convertible models. OEM bullbars came when they saw how well these sold in Aus. It wouldn't be surprising if they start selling the 4-door 76 series if troopy third door conversions are popular down under.

They must have interpreted the wish for the 70 series in North America as a demand for the FJCruiser. And judging from the FJC sales, they are right.

Dave

beanz2 said:
Toyota watches the aftermarket industry closely. When the Trekker sold well in the late 70's in the US, they came up with the Surf/4Runner a few years later. After the Sunchaser conversion on Celicas, the next generation of Celicas offered convertible models. OEM bullbars came when they saw how well these sold in Aus. It wouldn't be surprising if they start selling the 4-door 76 series if troopy third door conversions are popular down under.

They must have interpreted the wish for the 70 series in North America as a demand for the FJCruiser. And judging from the FJC sales, they are right.

Dave

My sentiments too. For the 1st time last year,sales of troopys to private buyers exceeded govt and business buyers.
The slide forward and tilt front seat would not be popular with families and the 3rd door conversion costs $3000+ and is not as asthetic as a factiory door.
Maybe Toyota see the 4 dr troopy as alternative to those who dont want the bulk and IFS of the 100 series or the blandness of the 105;).

4WD Monthly are very influential to new 4wd buyers and they always give the troopy a good write up especially the fully optioned RV.

I still think the Prado would have attracted more interest than the FJC in the US
A car salesman told me women drag their husbands in ,point to the Prado and its sold;)

roscoFJ73 said:
Maybe Toyota see the 4 dr troopy as alternative to those who dont want the bulk and IFS of the 100 series or the blandness of the 105;).

I hope !!!!!

this is pretty close to a 4 door troopie, a bit short on the cargo room...
http://www.luxuryimports.ca/forsale/1990HZJ77LX-1/index.php
<not trying to sell, it is already sold>
600CIMG3604.jpg
600CIMG3602.jpg
600CIMG3584.jpg

Hi there

Nice looking rig - with a 1HZ (very nice rig indeed havent seen many of these in Australia).

I believe toyota is also trying to cater for the Mining Industry which seem to be prodominately Toyota in Australia also.

We convert all our vehicles (Troopies) with the third door conversions - makes it an exelent all round capable vehicle. The main reason for this is with the new Mines Regs - all occupants must be wear seat belts and face forwards.

All the best

Wayne

Wayne BJ73 said:
Nice looking rig - with a 1HZ (very nice rig indeed havent seen many of these in Australia).

and PTO !!!!

Wayne BJ73 said:
We convert all our vehicles (Troopies) with the third door conversions - makes it an exelent all round capable vehicle. The main reason for this is with the new Mines Regs - all occupants must be wear seat belts and face forwards.

Wayne

Good point,Id forgotten about that. Another good reason for extra doors;)

Entaran said:
78 series RV's blow:

Boots
Seals
Bearings
Gearboxes (at 60-80000 kms) YAY FOR ALLOY instead of steel
Transfer cases AS ABOVE
Factory Lockers

Ask stoo.

Stoo has a unique way of using his troopy;)

Japan4X4 said:
77s are ugly and plain.

JMHO

How are they much different to any other J7?

wayne..what was the sticker price on that truck?

I've been 4x4ing with stoo, his troopy is more capable than most other rigs i've ever seen on a semi-hardcore track.

It blows away all other LWB's. I've now been turned for LWB's, there is no better offroad LWB than a troopy. But you guys already knew this.

I'll see if I can dig up some photos.

IMG_7147.jpg

This was the campground for lunch..

From left... IFS SWB NQ Pajero with 3litre v6 (This thing will blow you away with where it'll go). 32 inch Wrangler Mud terrain, 40mm REAR lift, otherwise standard with snorkel.
GU-II Patrol - This is an ARB Bendigo test car. It has EVERYTHING. And i mean EVERYTHING. The Troopy absolutely blitzed it.
Stoo's troopy - Factory diff locks, some OME suspension and a bullbar!
Ford Maverick LWB - Lockers, lots of lift and 33's... Baja Claws
My 75 series ute - Bog standard + 33 BFG Mud's.

IMG_7114.jpg

GU's attempt with all that extra crap (See the tree on the left? About 5 seconds later it nearly became a permanent indentation on the rear door) See that large rock in the foreground? that's nearly 0.6M high (2 feet) Pity nobodies standing next to it.

IMG_7122.jpg

Troopy wandered up this hill like it wasn't there.

IMG_7137.jpg

GU wiped it's diffs out on the rock the GQ is halfway over. That is LITERALLY upto my waist if you stand infront of it, so just over a metre (3 and a bit feet). Person nearby to check it :p Troopy went over this like it wasn't there.

IMG_7159.jpg

Remember I said the pajero would scare you? Oh, it's an auto. And it's airborne.

IMG_7180.jpg

Our favourite troopy.

... and my ute...

Bog standard mind you!

vocfavoca30-7-06140Medium.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom