New 2021 - First 1000 Miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about 1000 miles in on my new 2021 LC, and am in the fortunate position of having our 2013 LC sitting in the garage next to it, allowing direct comparisons. We're planning to keep both for the foreseeable future.

General Observations:

- The 8 speed transmission seems to require that you put your foot on the gas significantly more to get the same effect as the 2013's 6 speed. Maybe the new transmission is just smoother, but it definitely doesn't seem to have the same kick that the older transmission has. I admit though that I've been driving like a grandmother to break it in gently. Also, the 8 speed seems to have a bit of a "whine" to it that the 6 speed lacks. Maybe it's my unique case, or maybe it's just that everything is brand new, but there's a noise with the 8 speed that is noticeable when you're idling around parking lots. Doesn't seem to affect the performance, so perhaps its 100% normal, but I may get it checked out if it continues. I welcome community feedback on whether this seems like a concern.

- The instrument panel lighting is much improved in 2021. The 2013 has this "two tone white and green thing going on between the instrument cluster and the center console that's not as good.

- The leather in the 2021 seems to be quite a bit softer, and perhaps ultimately less durable. The seats in the 2013 are not as soft, but still look quite new after 85k on the clock.

- The tech in the 2021 is still very old school, considering that this is supposed to be Toyota's flagship. Even taking the lack of Android Auto or CarPlay out of the equation, the technology is pretty ancient, but is improved from 2013. The backup camera and surround view is better in 2021, as it should be, but it's not cutting edge by any stretch. Pretty weak that there are no USB ports in the back. Also weak that the rear AC port is only 100 watts when the AC port in the 4Runner is 400 watts. These seem like easy things to have improved since 2013.

- I like the center phone cubby / charging pad more than I thought I would. My first reaction to that was that it seemed gimmicky, but it's cool that you can keep your phone juiced up by just sticking it in the slot. Pleasantly surprised by that feature!

- The LED interior lighting is much improved on the 2021. The light blue accents here and there are nice.

- The power rear hatch is nifty, but the BEEP is super annoying. There ought to be a setting to turn that off (or volume down). I find myself just turning the power rear hatch off just to get it to shut up with the noise. Has anyone managed to silence the rear hatch beep via Techstream (or more primitive means)? I'm ready to duct tape some felt around the beeper, once I find it.

Overall, I think the 2021 has some nice improvements, and I am happy to have grabbed one on the off chance that we don't see another vehicle like this in the US again anytime soon. Like the rest of us, I love the heavy duty Japanese bank vault construction quality most of all. The 2013 still drives quite a bit like the 2021, which is one of the main reasons why these trucks are so great.

Maybe 2022 will just be a break in the action in the US, like 2012 was, and we'll end up with a 300 after all. I guess time will tell.

The 8 speed transmission seems to require that you put your foot on the gas significantly more to get the same effect as the 2013's 6 speed. Maybe the new transmission is just smoother, but it definitely doesn't seem to have the same kick that the older transmission has.

Pedal Commander is the answer to this pedal response. Here was my initial reaction after installing mine:

What have you done to your 200 Series this week? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-200-series-this-week.818471/page-486#post-13275101

Also do some forum searches on here for "pedal commander", I think you'll be convinced

I too would love to mute the rear lift gate chime, subscribed for that alone lol. I wish the 2021's came with Car Play, I feel robbed seeing how $38K Tacoma's come with it standard.

@FerrisBueller thanks for the Pedal Commander tip! I'm adding that to my shopping cart.

Congrats!

I also just bought 2021 HE, picking it up on Saturday. Put only 7 of test drive miles on it.

I also noticed a whine, that was also present on another 2021 I test drove. I don't mind it but it sounds rather agricultural and is surprising given that my 2015 does not have it at all. I also test drove yet another 2021 almost 2 months ago and I don't remember the whine back then... maybe I was too excited to pay close enough attention.

At least it seemed the one I bought has been smooth downshifting from 2nd to 1st. The other one had rather jerky thunk doing the same.

I bought the 2015 among other reasons to "avoid 8-speed". I really like the 6-speed remains to be seen how I warm up to the 8-speed....

The only complaint I have with the 8-speed in both the 2019 LX570 we just traded in and our new LC is that you have a hard shift into drive. You need to be completely stopped in order to smoothly transition into drive especially when rolling out of reverse.

It's comforting to know that others have noticed the transmission noise too. Seems a bit more "normal" that way. Maybe some miles will quiet it down a bit.

I bought mine near Salt Lake City and drove it straight home to San Diego County (~750 miles) with no drama whatsoever. Probably fine.

I haven't noticed a whine on either of ours. That said, Uncle Sam tells me I am clinically deaf in my left ear and struggle with high frequency in my right so who knows lol.

^ Interesting. My wife also immediately noticed after getting into a 2021 from our 2015. Maybe ask yours?

Will do.

I am getting little worried because I am not finding any 2016-2020 reports about the whine. I think there was one post about a 2019, but can't find it now.

Is the whine a 2021 feature? :)

I plan on checking fluid levels everywhere after I bring her home, including the transmission and differentials.

I bought a 21 HE a couple of months ago and now have 1200 miles on it. I've actually dumbed it down with turning off rear automatic lift gate and turning off the lane assist and parking assist. I also could care less about Apple Car play . I still have CDs that I play! I am pretty old school and I am happy with the truck.

Lane Keep Assist is trash, I've never used that on any vehicle. I do enjoy cross traffic alert when backing out of a parking spot and adaptive cruise has become a crutch even though the Toyota/Lexus version is a joke in comparison to some others I have used. I like the auto lift gate feature because I usually have full hands when I need to load stuff back there.

I bought a 21 HE a couple of months ago and now have 1200 miles on it. I've actually dumbed it down with turning off rear automatic lift gate and turning off the lane assist and parking assist. I also could care less about Apple Car play . I still have CDs that I play! I am pretty old school and I am happy with the truck.
I'm with you on the car play stuff not being a big deal. I have my phone loaded up with music, and find the JBL stereo to be pretty great. Prior to the LC, I had an X5 with the Bang and Olufsen stereo. $3500 option and didn't sound as good as the stock LC audio. +1 in the Toyota column! Still wish the rear beep could be turned off.

Lane Keep Assist is trash, I've never used that on any vehicle. I do enjoy cross traffic alert when backing out of a parking spot and adaptive cruise has become a crutch even though the Toyota/Lexus version is a joke in comparison to some others I have used. I like the auto lift gate feature because I usually have full hands when I need to load stuff back there.
Totally agree about lane keep assist. How about just watch where you're driving and look at your phone later? 🤣

Have a 14 LX and 20 Cruiser. Noticed the whine and still have it after 8,000 miles. Normal.

The 8 speed is clunkier than the 6. I prefer the 6 overall.

I leave mine in ECT all the time and have no problem getting the car to behave how I want. It’s pedal response is truly no different than my 04 Cruiser, 07 V8 4Runner or LX. The 8 speed holds gears longer, though, and will more aggressively downshift under heavy breaking. After 600k miles across the bunch of them, I’m just used to Toyota throttle mapping.

The downshift from 2nd to 1st when coasting at exactly 10mph is silly and results in harsh engagement unless feathered excessively.

Last edited:
I plan on checking fluid levels everywhere after I bring her home, including the transmission...
Look into the procedure, it is involved. Gone are the days of a simple dipstick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom