New 2021 - First 1000 Miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm about 1400 miles into my 21.

1. Pedal Commander should be stock on these. It's night and day.
2. The audio quality is fantastic. Way better than my wife's X7.
3. Don't care about Android Auto.
4. Weird that on Serius XM, it doesn't list the channel names, only numbers. Pretty sad.
5. Hate the tailgate beep.
6. I live in the Rockies and have been driving this thing through some horrendous conditions since mile one. I have Cooper ST Maxx tires on it but damn, that thing sticks to the road like nobody's business. Really impressive, even in the slickest ice.
7. Love the stock headlights. Very crisp and easy on the eyes.
8. Rear camera gets dirty very quickly.
9. Stating the obvious, but my 6.7L F350 has over 3x the range per fill up. It's laughable how bad the MPG is and then they compound it with a smallish tank.
10. Not enough storage on the center console.

I'm about 1400 miles into my 21.

1. Pedal Commander should be stock on these. It's night and day. I need to order one of these apparently.
2. The audio quality is fantastic. Way better than my wife's X7. It's ok, slightly better than the standard system in the 2019 LX570 we traded in.
3. Don't care about Android Auto. I don't either, but I would like Apple CarPlay lol.
4. Weird that on Serius XM, it doesn't list the channel names, only numbers. Pretty sad. I noticed that as well but the free sub will be gone soon so who cares.
5. Hate the tailgate beep. Agreed, I lived with it on the LX but I'd like to find a solution to this.
6. I live in the Rockies and have been driving this thing through some horrendous conditions since mile one. I have Cooper ST Maxx tires on it but damn, that thing sticks to the road like nobody's business. Really impressive, even in the slickest ice. It's a bank vault on wheels, heavy.
7. Love the stock headlights. Very crisp and easy on the eyes. Agreed, they are pretty good, but no Ford Quad Beam LED's that came on our last Super Duty.
8. Rear camera gets dirty very quickly. Non-issue so far but I'll report back during monsoon season lol.
9. Stating the obvious, but my 6.7L F350 has over 3x the range per fill up. It's laughable how bad the MPG is and then they compound it with a smallish tank. Seeing 16-19 mpg on ours so far which is pretty decent for the platform. Your bigger/heavier tires surely play a role.
10. Not enough storage on the center console. Salusy Console Tray helps.

If the beep bothers you that much you can probably locate the speaker in the rear and simply unplug it. I doubt the module has diagnostics to see if it’s connected and throw any kind of error.

Unless it uses the same speaker in the front as for the alarm.. but that seems unlikely given the location and purpose of the hatch beep.

- The tech in the 2021 is still very old school, considering that this is supposed to be Toyota's flagship. Even taking the lack of Android Auto or CarPlay out of the equation, the technology is pretty ancient, but is improved from 2013. The backup camera and surround view is better in 2021, as it should be, but it's not cutting edge by any stretch. Pretty weak that there are no USB ports in the back. Also weak that the rear AC port is only 100 watts when the AC port in the 4Runner is 400 watts. These seem like easy things to have improved since 2013.

You must NEVER criticize the tech in a Land Cruiser or LX on this forum. Doing so will bring out the wrath of "You don't understand the target audience" comments and people will tell you that you should sell your truck.

My ‘17 transmission has “the whine”. There are other threads about it to. Sounds like my old ‘46 Jeep 3 speed. 😀

If the beep bothers you that much you can probably locate the speaker in the rear and simply unplug it. I doubt the module has diagnostics to see if it’s connected and throw any kind of error.

Unless it uses the same speaker in the front as for the alarm.. but that seems unlikely given the location and purpose of the hatch beep.
Anyone know where to look for the rear hatch speaker / beeper? I would definitely try unplugging it if I knew where to find it. I admit that I haven't really made much of an attempt to figure this out on my own. Just wondering whether anyone else has already found it.

Anyone know where to look for the rear hatch speaker / beeper? I would definitely try unplugging it if I knew where to find it. I admit that I haven't really made much of an attempt to figure this out on my own. Just wondering whether anyone else has already found it.
Somebody here was able to disable it using techstream, if I remember correctly.

100% agree. How?

Help me, Obi-Wans. You're my only hope.
I wish I had one new enough to have the power lift gate so that I could hook up techstream and do some experimenting, but I don’t. You’ll need the help of someone with the correct vehicle.

I will say.. once tech stream is running it is pretty easy to get in and mess with the creature comforts like that.. I just can’t tell you exactly where it would be in the software.

And this is all if @Idaho Savage remembered correctly.

I wish I had one new enough to have the power lift gate so that I could hook up techstream and do some experimenting, but I don’t. You’ll need the help of someone with the correct vehicle.

I will say.. once tech stream is running it is pretty easy to get in and mess with the creature comforts like that.. I just can’t tell you exactly where it would be in the software.

And this is all if @Idaho Savage remembered correctly.
Post in thread 'TIS Techstream - Customization Options for LC200' TIS Techstream - Customization Options for LC200 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tis-techstream-customization-options-for-lc200.910126/post-10206152

3k miles in on my '21. Mods in order: Tint front windows; Pedal Commander; Light bar; Radar detector (Blend Mount with Mirror Tap); CarPlay from NavPlus - feel like I'm ready for the next 100k miles now.

I haven't noticed a whine on either of ours. That said, Uncle Sam tells me I am clinically deaf in my left ear and struggle with high frequency in my right so who knows lol.

You all just need a bit of tinnitus and any concerns about vehicle whine just disappear into the constant whine or ringing you will carry with you all day and night, in and out of your vehicles. I like to think of it as having my own internal sound track, although I do sometimes wish that it had more of a beat.

You all just need a bit of tinnitus and any concerns about vehicle whine just disappear into the constant whine or ringing you will carry with you all day and night, in and out of your vehicles. I like to think of it as having my own internal sound track, although I do sometimes wish that it had more of a beat.

Oh I have the tinnitus, sounds like a chorus of crickets singing in my ears at all times. Sometimes it intensifies out of nowhere, almost as if someone turned on a boost for it and then it'll go back down and reduce to normal levels a few minutes later lol.

Oh I have the tinnitus, sounds like a chorus of crickets singing in my ears at all times. Sometimes it intensifies out of nowhere, almost as if someone turned on a boost for it and then it'll go back down and reduce to normal levels a few minutes later lol.
You, @USMCVader and and me should start a Ringing Mudders club.

You, @USMCVader and and me should start a Ringing Mudders club.

As long as Uncle Sugar continues to pay me for it I am fine with it. At this point it'd almost be too quiet if you could somehow turn it off lol.

Have a 14 LX and 20 Cruiser. Noticed the whine and still have it after 8,000 miles. Normal.

The 8 speed is clunkier than the 6. I prefer the 6 overall.

I leave mine in ECT all the time and have no problem getting the car to behave how I want. It’s pedal response is truly no different than my 04 Cruiser, 07 V8 4Runner or LX. The 8 speed holds gears longer, though, and will more aggressively downshift under heavy breaking. After 600k miles across the bunch of them, I’m just used to Toyota throttle mapping.

The downshift from 2nd to 1st when coasting at exactly 10mph is silly and results in harsh engagement unless feathered excessively.
+1 for the 6 speed

This is off-topic as it gets, but there is hope for us ear ringers:

Even if it did make noise I'd still prefer the 8-spd for the better gearing off-road..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom