Need to loosen bent u-bolts on front springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was ready to install some 4° shims I received from @orangefj45 but the two front u-bolts got bent on the rocks at the recent LSLC Roundup...

Can I heat these up and try to straighten? If I heat them up will it affect integrity of the bolts? Should I just order a new pair?

F0F946BA-19E3-41E3-83FB-690F7156D551.jpeg

A6FE16ED-F264-469B-A431-F33B7A0F62E8.jpeg

I don't think you'll get nuts to thread well if you're bending it back. I'd just cut & replace if it was mine (Or evaluate the need for a u-bolt flip).

Cut and replace and then cut the new ones close to the nut, so this doesn't happen again, or buy some U-bolt flip plates from 4Plus Products or skid plates that protect the ubolts.

Just adding concurrence.
Did quite a bit of research un U-bolts (Obviously I live an exciting life) and the smart money says U bolts should be torqued once as they stretch and weaken during the process. While thousands of people reuse/re-torque, I keep extras on hand.

just adding to the "off with their heads" side. didn't read all the replies, but i'd not be surprised if u-bolt flips were mentioned to be done. or as the the post above, u-bolt skids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom