Need some help about "A/C condenser/evaporator drain leak under glove box" fixing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I already take off the evaporator cover, I have a couple of questions about how to put it back:

1. Should I put back the new cover from the top? I already took off that cover from the bottom with the top plastic standpoint cut, because I will replace this cover anyway so that cut does not matter, but I really don't think "taking off it from the bottom down direction" is the right way to do this.

2. Where is the new gasket sit in? and what order should I follow to do that? should I put the gasket in the channel of the evaporator case firstly (not the cover we took off, I mean the part in the dash ) then I install back the cover?

3. when I take the cover off I scratch some foam which over the evaporator, is it matter?

4. It is pretty dirty inside the box, should I clean the drain in the engine bay at the same time? What cleaner should I use to clean the inside box? (I know there is one Toyota brand, does some store like autozone have something we can use?)

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 10.04.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 10.44.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 10.23.16 AM.png

Remarks: first and third pictures are from the forum, because my own picture is not so clear.

Last edited:
I just did this 30 mins. ago.

- Don’t worry about the foam scratching.
- I vacuumed out the debris from the bottom of the cavity. Spray cleaning is another step which I didn’t do, I don’t have any musty smell from my system.
- Put the new gasket into the U-shaped groove in the evaporator housing like you say. It should stay in place while you reinstall the cover.
- Just shove the cover in place from the top in the direction of your arrow. You’ll need to move some wire harnesses aside to get it to drop in place. I removed the two screws holding the lower trim (glove box mount) in place so it would flex out of the way. Looks like you did that too.

I just did this 30 mins. ago.

- Don’t worry about the foam scratching.
- I vacuumed out the debris from the bottom of the cavity. Spray cleaning is another step which I didn’t do, I don’t have any musty smell from my system.
- Put the new gasket into the U-shaped groove in the evaporator housing like you say. It should stay in place while you reinstall the cover.
- Just shove the cover in place from the top in the direction of your arrow. You’ll need to move some wire harnesses aside to get it to drop in place. I removed the two screws holding the lower trim (glove box mount) in place so it would flex out of the way. Looks like you did that too.
Thanks for the guidance, when you said "U-shaped groove in the evaporator housing", you mean the channel I point out in the third picture right? Can I use some "gasket adhesive" to glue the gasket a little bit then making sure it will not move when I install the cover?

Thanks for the guidance, when you said "U-shaped groove in the evaporator housing", you mean the channel I point out in the third picture right? Can I use some "gasket adhesive" to glue the gasket a little bit then making sure it will not move when I install the cover?
Yes, put the new gasket into the groove in your pic. It should stay put by itself, I wouldn’t add any adhesive. If it doesn’t want to stay you could put a dab of something at the very ends to keep it in place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom