AC Condenser leak? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, so trying to get all the other things I need. I think I need the three o-rings in this diagram. Do I need dealer specific o-rings? Or can I get any kind? I read something about green o-rings for A/C or something? Also in this video the guy mentions new seals... I assume he's just talking about the o-rings and not some other seal between the hardline and the condensor?

View attachment 3452894
What is the source of this diagram?

Back in Business.

Charge04.jpg

Did you buy the Denso compressor from Amazon? I got it (haven't installed yet) but the box was kinda beat up and the packaging was pretty lame. Just some brown paper rolled around it. Wondering if I should return it.

Did you buy the Denso compressor from Amazon? I got it (haven't installed yet) but the box was kinda beat up and the packaging was pretty lame. Just some brown paper rolled around it. Wondering if I should return it.

Rock Auto for mine. Too many 'fake' products on Amazon/Ebay.

Changing out the compressor (because of location) is no picnic. Don't want to be doing it again for a long, long time.

Just make sure its genuine and you should be good.

Sorry about the screwed up pics (not my doing).

AC replace01.jpg

AC replace02.jpg

AC replace03.jpg
AC replace04.jpg

Rock Auto for mine. Too many 'fake' products on Amazon/Ebay.

Changing out the compressor (because of location) is no picnic. Don't want to be doing it again for a long, long time.

Just make sure its genuine and you should be good.

Sorry about the screwed up pics (not my doing).

View attachment 3477372
View attachment 3477373
View attachment 3477374View attachment 3477375
Here’s mine for reference from Amazon. Looks legit. But the box is best to hell and the pulley has a gouge in it.

EA6D9488-8C7B-4B25-8174-21B98F0F747E.jpeg

image.jpg

4516B82D-3EEA-45B4-BFA4-AD96CC4620DB.jpeg

How was the evaporator and txv replacement?

I actually skipped that part (for now). Mrs. Flintknapper had grown tired of driving the Sequoia and wanted her LX back 'ASAP', so once I got everything else done (Compressor, Condenser, Suction and Discharge Lines)....I pulled a vacuum on the system and it held.

At that point....I went ahead and charged the system. I will install the Evaporator next Summer.

All is working well right now. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Old Evap or TXV.....but I have the parts and WILL install them later. So...I apologize for not being able to comment on it.

I actually skipped that part (for now). Mrs. Flintknapper had grown tired of driving the Sequoia and wanted her LX back 'ASAP', so once I got everything else done (Compressor, Condenser, Suction and Discharge Lines)....I pulled a vacuum on the system and it held.

At that point....I went ahead and charged the system. I will install the Evaporator next Summer.

All is working well right now. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Old Evap or TXV.....but I have the parts and WILL install them later. So...I apologize for not being able to comment on it.
No worries at all! I'm glad it worked out well for you. I have all of the parts now, so just need to find the time to do the work.

Agreed, looks legit. Shipping company just played hockey with it.

'Ding' in the pulley can be removed with a file, no big deal.
How durable are these compressors? Just wondering if I should return it and get one from Rock Auto.

How durable are these compressors? Just wondering if I should return it and get one from Rock Auto.

Very rugged.....but you'd certainly have a good reason to return if you choose to go that route.

I went ahead and returned it. I'm gonna try RockAuto. I wish I could buy it locally so I could look at the box/item first. I mean I can, but the compressors are $500+ special order at AutoZone and Advanced.

Also, out of curiosity, what causes condensers to leak? Outside of rock damage and salt/corrosion. Mine looks perfectly fine minus the greasy spot on the top left corner.

Also, out of curiosity, what causes condensers to leak? Outside of rock damage and salt/corrosion. Mine looks perfectly fine minus the greasy spot on the top left corner.
That is one of the weak points where the tubing is brazed. Cycling of high pressure refrigerant just stresses it and it can leak. It's also possible that some moisture was in the system which reacts to form an acidic condition that could degrade as well.

Based on how often we see failures at that exact spot, I'd say it's ultimately a design flaw. That being said, even if there is a "weak point" they do seem to last a VERY long time... Mine went 14 years before it started, and lasted 3 more summers with a 12oz recharge each summer. Not too shabby.

That is one of the weak points where the tubing is brazed. Cycling of high pressure refrigerant just stresses it and it can leak. It's also possible that some moisture was in the system which reacts to form an acidic condition that could degrade as well.

Based on how often we see failures at that exact spot, I'd say it's ultimately a design flaw. That being said, even if there is a "weak point" they do seem to last a VERY long time... Mine went 14 years before it started, and lasted 3 more summers with a 12oz recharge each summer. Not too shabby.

^^^^^

Nailed it. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom