Need help figuring out a water leak issue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You've really created a very high pressure in cabin, more than I have. Keep in mind this is pushing outward on all seal. The seals are made more for neutral pressure IMO.

What I do not see is roof rack area. Presumably you saw now bubbles around roof racks mounts?

Leak at rear gate light seals, leaks into gate cavity. You'll find weep holes at bottom of gate.
Leak at rear 1/4 light seals, leaks into 1/4 body cavity.
Leaks around gate or hatch seal, can get into cavity. These would first get back edge of cargo carpet damp. Note: Gate and hatch, need a bit of force closing. To get them to seal well.
Leak at door molding or glass seal, leaks into door cavity. You'll find weep holes at bottom of door for these.
Leaks around side doors seal, can get into cabin. These would first get carpet damp by doors.

The LH "A" pillar bottom corner near windshield bubbles, are interesting. This is either a gap in glasses black ploy glue, or hole that should not be open.

I can't say I'm seeing anything, that would soak carpet along side doors.
I sealed off the vents that are below the rear cargo area windows. I think this helped produce more cabin pressure. I had front and rear vents set on high.
I had sealed off all of the potential leaks for the roof rack connection points last week. I did spray those areas down with the soap mixture, and none of them produced bubbles, so i think my attempt was successful.
The side door edges of carpet areas aren't soaked like the rear hatch is after rain. They are just the slightest bit damp.
20240107_165431.jpg

I did have quite a bit of air leaking from this area on both sides. Should I just replace these weather strips?
20240106_161618.jpg

Some bubbles coming from windshield. I may use some flowable silicone. Can I take the screws out and remove the trim around the windshield, or is that a bad idea?
20240106_160003.jpg

Last edited:
"I did have quite a bit of air leaking from this area on both sides. Should I just replace these weather strips?" If you're asking about area you blocked in red. Those side window seal. Unless shot. You'll get little benefit, and no benefit to interior water. Look close and you'll see opening at corners, which are there even new.

You've really created a very high pressure in cabin, more than I have. Keep in mind this is pushing outward on all seal. The seals are made more for neutral pressure IMO.

What I do not see is roof rack area. Presumably you saw now bubbles around roof racks mounts?

Leak at rear gate light seals, leaks into gate cavity. You'll find weep holes at bottom of gate.
Leak at rear 1/4 light seals, leaks into 1/4 body cavity.
Leaks around gate or hatch seal, can get into cavity. These would first get back edge of cargo carpet damp. Note: Gate and hatch, need a bit of force closing. To get them to seal well.
Leak at door molding or glass seal, leaks into door cavity. You'll find weep holes at bottom of door for these.
Leaks around side doors seal, can get into cabin. These would first get carpet damp by doors.

The LH "A" pillar bottom corner near windshield bubbles, are interesting. This is either a gap in glasses black ploy glue, or hole that should not be open.

I can't say I'm seeing anything, that would soak carpet along side doors.
I sealed off the vents that are below the rear cargo area windows. I think this helped produce more cabin pressure. I had front and rear vents set on high.
I had sealed off all of the potential leaks for the roof rack connection points last week. I did spray those areas down with the soap mixture, and none of them produced bubbles, so i think my attempt was successful.
The side door edges of carpet areas aren't soaked like the rear hatch is after rain. They ast the slightest bit damp.
"I did have quite a bit of air leaking from this area on both sides. Should I just replace these weather strips?" If you're asking about area you blocked in red. Those side window seal. Unless shot. You'll get little benefit, and no benefit to interior water. Look close and you'll see opening at corners, which are there even new.
I had plan on replacing them due to the driver side beginning to separate and peel up.
So the rears are not bad, but the drivers door is beginning to peel up and separate from the metal beneath it. I planned on gradually replacing it, but feel the need to replace all of them so that they will match due to sun fading.

Well, sorry to revive this thread, but I'm still having a leak issue. Water is pooling up at the very rear of the carpet where it meets the plastic trim at the hatch. It isn't dripping from above, but seemingly running down the side from behind the hatch seal and pooling at the edge of the carpet. I have spent the day pulling most plastic panels trying to locate the issue. I even pulled the hatch seal and cleaned all of the build up off of it with no luck. I'm stumped.

Then nothing more I can suggest. Other than go back over everything and or get a borescope. I had two I found and pinpointed with a 6mm directional borescope.

I'm going to try to apply water to individual areas one at the time in hopes of figuring it out. I think it might be the rear hatch seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom