Need ideas, turbo firewall clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A10Driver

SILVER Star
Threads
Dudes,
I am building a 4 door FJ40 with a 6bt and am looking for ideas on how to get some clearance between turbo and firewall. I am thinking two flanges with some sort of spacer. Anyone have a better ideas? Thanks for the help.
IMG_20180413_195046177.jpg

Loose the heat shield completely. Remove v-band turbo backing plate and carve off the v-band and either weld your elbow directly on the flange or reproduce the flange with mild steel and weld onto it. Do a clean 90 degree tight bend and header wrap everything that conducts exhaust. Add a turbo blanket.

Loose the heat shield completely. Remove v-band turbo backing plate and carve off the v-band and either weld your elbow directly on the flange or reproduce the flange with mild steel and weld onto it. Do a clean 90 degree tight bend and header wrap everything that conducts exhaust. Add a turbo blanket.

yup. Wrap the elbow, you'll be fine, I have a bit more room in my 80 but built it this way without probs, just gotta keep wiring not too close to it. Only thing, kinda wish I had put a reducer and went to 4".

I reckon gerg is on to it. Lose the v-band flange, weld an elbow directly to to a plain flange.

I used 4" mandrel bends for my dump pipe in an 80 series. Pics in the first couple of pages of the build thread in my signature.
I cut the first bend to 75 degrees. If you use short radius bends, and cheat with the joint angle where the first bend meets the flange, you could tighten things up more than mine.

Nice. I have a lot of respect for close ground support pilots.

I triple wrap my manifold and down pipe and short section of braded flex pipe down 2/3 of the firewall worth of the exhaust. You can hold your hand for several seconds on the down pipe after pulling hills it's so effective. Not expensive either.

2" X 50FT HIGH TEMPERATURE HEADER MANIFOLD EXHAUST WRAP FIBERGLASS ROLL TITANIUM | eBay

Holset HY35/HX35 Exhaust Flange

Universal Titanium Turbo Blanket Heat Shield Charger Cover Wrap Any T3 GT35 GT37 748966754970 | eBay

g

Last edited:
I know it looks uber Cheesy but doing lots of little short booger tac welds onto the elbow give the header wrap something to grab onto when wrapping to prevent it from slipping off. I do it wet which makes it fit better and cuts down on the fiber dust. I built a turbo for a fella a while back who's battery's were like an inch and a half away from the turbine housing and elbow. Turbo blanket and triple wrap did the trick. It's one of the few areas where more is better.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Custom manifold, locate the turbo where you have room. Gerg's idea is much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom