need help with Truck Decision (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys, with 3 growing kids, the dog and house projects I need a truck to daily. The 80 is getting tight and honestly I want to get a beater cruiser to wheel and not depend on it for drop offs in the school line. I have been looking for months for that "swiss army knife" of trucks that checks the boxes of what will work for me. I trust this groups opinion so I’d like to hear some feedback. I have decided on
  1. 2014 - 2016 Ram Power Wagon. It has locking F/R differentials, factory 12k Warn winch, 6.4L hemi on the 2500 chassis. Seem like in 2014 a lot of the issues were addressed and from what I’ve found
  2. Pre 2016 V8 Ford Raptor. They all have the rear locker and I could add a winch.
If Toyota had a tundra that had a package that competed with the trucks above I’d be shopping for that. I’m looking for an out of the box package and I could use like I use my 80. I don’t want to have to lift/modify it. I like the power wagon but the size is massive. The Raptor seems like it will be a litter easier to navigate. Both seem like they could be that “Swiss Army knife” and I’d be happy with either. Any thing I’m not thinking of or does anyone know something About one over the other.

thoughts?

Last edited:
2001 Toyota Tundra access cab with a topper in my driveway so I can buy my wife a GX470. Ford if I had to choose between the two you mentioned. The full size trucks have gotten too plus size for my liking.

Thought about it. I really need a truck. Had a hard time finding a clean one. For the price of a clean excursion I was in 200 territory. The right 200 isn’t off the table though.

Yeah I get ya.... You gave the two choices.

I would personally get the ram for a daily, camper , Overland type truck

2001 Toyota Tundra access cab with a topper in my driveway so I can buy my wife a GX470. Ford if I had to choose between the two you mentioned. The full size trucks have gotten too plus size for my liking.
I know what you mean about feeling plus size. I’ve got 3 in car seats and refuse to give up what makes me happy so it’s where I’m at. The 80 fits just me perfectly

I had the same issue when all three kids were in car seats.

I would love to say get the raptor. I really want one myself but the power wagon is a much better all around vehicle in my opinion.

with the power wagon you will be able to tow your Toyota to the trails and back if you ever want to do that.
I am so glad I went with my F250. It was much more truck than I needed when I bought it in 07 but I have been so glad that I had it every time that I have needed.

if I lived out west. I would just buy the raptor and be happy going fast in the desert. Which you really can’t do in the east coast.

I also want a raptor...but towing...and PRICE have made me not buy one impulsively.

I have been researching full size trucks for the past year to build out as an overland rig. I looked at the power wagon in great detail but the thing that stopped me was the reliability. Google full size pick up reliability and look for the list that shows the past 10-15 yrs and dodge rams don't even make the list. Tundra is almost always at the top along with Ford 150/250. The 2015 Tundra is probably the best year and the money spent putting in all the bells and whistles will be less then the price of a power wagon. I don't have a lot of time to write all the stuff I learned but the Tundra always came out on top. The only downside is 13 mpg and ~1500 payload max. If you want a sweet power wagon, check this one out.

Some might not be a ford fan but I love my F250. Super reliable. I have never had any issues with mine. With my stage four icon suspension it performs real nice in the dirt. It pulls like a tractor. And I can fit my family of 5 and the dog pretty comfortable.
Because of my lift and heavy tires I only get 13 mpg but it doesn’t change even if I am towing.
I think I averaged 12.5 towing my 80 to the rubicon and back a couple of years ago. At 80 mph most of the way there and back.
Can’t complain.

This is the reliability list I was referring to. Tundra and GMC is at the top but maybe its not reliability your looking for. Just keep in mind, depending on what you want to put in the rear that the power wagon and raptor max out at ~1500 lbs because of their suspension. Same goes for the Tundra.

This is the reliability list I was referring to. Tundra and GMC is at the top but maybe its not reliability your looking for. Just keep in mind, depending on what you want to put in the rear that the power wagon and raptor max out at ~1500 lbs because of their suspension. Same goes for the Tundra.

Good info. Wish Tundra had a package to compete. The TRD tundra doesn’t even have a locker. 1500 should be fine on anything I put in it.
Airbags on the power wagons are a common upgrade.

Buy a Tundra and add a locker, then you'll have a dependable truck that holds its value, and will still cost less than the above mentioned options. Tundras are the Landcruisers of the pickup world. I swear I remember them putting a locker in some option at some point, maybe it was the Tacomas.

I could spend hours telling stories about the Tundras I had and the stupid shiznit I did with them. One time I drove it 4 hours with a trailer to go pick up my broke down f350 service truck. It wouldn't have been enough to go and just get the 350 and bring it back to the shop, instead I kept going another 3 hours, got the 600lb tire that the 350 was supposed to be picking up, then picked up the 350 along the way back and towed it home 4 hrs. I'm sure it was over every spec and limit that Toyota published, and probably broke several laws as well, but it made it, and that was when the Tundra only had about 125k on it, I sold it ( regrettably ) with 330k and the entire time the only non PM items were starter and a wheel speed sensor.

Having bought a brand new Ram 2500 with the Cummins in 2016, I would recommend not buying a Ram. They have front end issues and chew through tires. Every time my truck went to the dealer (tried a few different) it came out with more issues than it went in. The quality isn't there. I had bad luck with a new GMC as well. I would go towards the Ford if not buying a Tundra in a full size truck.

Buy the 6.2 in the Raptor and not the 5.4. Fist year Raptors were 5.4. The 6.2 is much better as far as long term reliability

Oh wait, you wanted help deciding? Sorry I thought you wanted to be confused, and made to second guess everything. Obviously the choice should be easy now, buy all of them.
Confused yes. I started actually looking at Tundras After your comments.

After everyone’s comments I’m now looking for a Ford raptor suspension with Tundra drive line and power wagon locking axles.o_O

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom