Need help with an original TEN radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a body and few boxes of parts from a 1967 fj40 hard top. In the many boxes of priceless goodies was this radio and speaker. It looks original to me but not sure. If it is, it is super cool and I want to put it in my cruiser. It is AM only and kind on works. If you hook it up it will bring in a station or two but even with the volume cranked all the way up you can barely hear it. So do you guys think it is the real thing and where can I get it worked on so i can jam the Mexican AM stations as I go though the woods?:hmm: and if it is stock were in the world does it mount.

cd18ee02f2cae4abec5bfcd0bf6bb96b.jpg

b78247716d8f2a0fdb656720f3a09aec.jpg

e57a9a3f6f6cf85e947e48f0f9c0245b.jpg

8913b1bf718432e09fb4158056f45801.jpg

Looking good! :clap:
Don't know if it's stock, but those AM radios need a really good antenna with a good ground at the antenna base.
You'll also need the capacitor (aka condensor) on your Voltage Regulator to filter out the noise.
Probably you'll find an adjustable capacitor (aka trimmer) on the back of the radio, close to the antenna input, to adjust the antenna for maximum reception.

Keep us posted,

Rudi

Looking good! :clap:
Don't know if it's stock, but those AM radios need a really good antenna with a good ground at the antenna base.
You'll also need the capacitor (aka condensor) on your Voltage Regulator to filter out the noise.
Probably you'll find an adjustable capacitor (aka trimmer) on the back of the radio, close to the antenna input, to adjust the antenna for maximum reception.

Keep us posted,

Rudi

Thanks I don,t know how to ground the antenna. How do you do it. He base is plastic? The center is metal, do I attach a wire to that?

a5256fd79e5812c092979c54879be66a.jpg

That tooth washer takes care of the grounding. Make sure that it's touching bare metal.
Can you post a pic of the back of that radio?
I want to see if there is the trimmer. It should looks like there is a screw below/under the housing which you can turn through a hole.

Rudi

Here is the back of the radio. Not much to look at.

1fe50cdc01629a04990422ee30d19a44.jpg

Love that radio.. I remember those power transistors on the back. They did that for a heat sink.

I just remembered that the antenna trimmer can also be found behind the face plate, around the tuning knob.

For adjustment use a plastic or ceramic screwdriver. NOT metal.
Tune in to a weak station on the high side. Turn the trimmer for maximum reception. The trimmer has no stop so you turn it 360 degrees.
antenna trimmer.jpg

Rudi
antenna trimmer.jpg

Nothin under here.

3f6f1ba8477df833388f834dde8d0789.jpg

But might be the screw on the right side about half way up the radio. You can turn it either direction and it's on the side of the tuning knob.

937cd588da2f49bb29bebdfe1b02b015.jpg

YES! That's the antenna trimmer.

Rudi

According to this web site, looks like this would be a post 1968 made radio.
http://www.fujitsu-ten.com/company/outline/history/
You prolly don't have a radio hole in your dash, if you did, you would know where this would mount.
Pretty cool find you have there, with the radio and the speaker together! Hope you can get it working good and use it! Good luck :cheers:

Skip

looks very much like the fj55 radio i posted in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/electronic-toys/469434-40-55-series-shaft-style-dual-knob-radios.html

Looks to be in the 67-68 time frame from the number

can you add your pictures to that thread... for reference

the speaker box have any numbers besides the sticker? printed on cover?

can you make out the TEQ part number printed on the radio... looks like 86600-00010?

The number on the radio is 08600-00010 with 161831 stamped in ink.
No numbers on the speaker box, just the sticker and the ones on the back of the speaker.

The add is really neat. I looks like this was the real deal for that year. I found a company that can repair it and also add a fm circuit to it that does not change the looks or originality of it. I just hope they are not crazy about the price. Will try to call tomorrow. Thanks for all the info would have never found it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom