GM Need help starting a 76 K20 with a broken ignition. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I have a 76K20 Chevrolet pickup truck with a 350 engine 4spd trans that the ignition switch is broken that I would like to try to get running. What happened is the ignition became jammed and it would not turn. I have started to disassemble the steering column to replace the actual ignition with a new key, but life gets in the way and I just can't finish this job. The truck has been sitting now for about 5-6 months in my yard. I would like to try to fire it up because I hate things to sit because more problems just arrive from sitting.

I use a remote starter switch (similar to OEM tools 25331) on Kubota diesels and small engines at work sometimes to get them running or move them back to the shop. I have never used the remote switch if the ignition is not on though.

How could I use the remote starter switch on the K20 just to fire it up until I get the switch fixed. Once running how could it be shut off?

Thanks for any help
Sean

Just adding that you can pull the coil wire and the engine will shut down. Since you likely have an HEI ignition it will be easiest to rig up a jumper wire from the wiring harness connector to the distributor cap/coil and put in a simple toggle switch as a shut off. I wouldn't do it repeatedly as the alternator might not like it. Hope you gat it started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom