Need help identifying this dash light indicator on 1972 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son and I are restoring a 1972 FJ40 and have installed a new wiring harness from Kwik Wire and are in the process of reconnecting everything on the dash. The previous wiring did not have this particular dash light connected and I have been unable to find out exactly what it is by searching online. In the attached diagram, this light indicator (to the right of the cigarette lighter) is not labeled unfortunately.

I need to know what it is and also where I might get a female connector that will attach to it. Thank you in advance for your help.
72DashDiagram.jpg
IMG_0976.jpg
IMG_0977.jpg
IMG_0978.jpg

Gotcha. Do you know what the light was for on the original setup? It is on the diagram but just not labeled.

Gotcha. Do you know what the light was for on the original setup? It is on the diagram but just not labeled.

The knob to the right of the cigarette lighter is a dome light switch. Not familiar with this diagram. Not for a US market FJ40. 73 was the only year with a radio opening and vent knob below the radio opening. Few these were not US market. A electric/vacuum operated 4WD (091-01 on the diagram. Almost all 72-74 FJ40s either had a Vader light and switch to the right of the glove box door. What you have is not stock on a FJ40.

Depends on what the PO did

Does your instrument cluster have the directions incorporated into it or do you have the original 72’ cluster without? Without they used two green lights on either side of the cluster

Pretty sure the change over was 73’ model @Living in the Past would know for sure

PO May have just had it because it was a pretty green light :meh:

Depends on what the PO did

Does your instrument cluster have the directions incorporated into it or do you have the original 72’ cluster without? Without they used two green lights on either side of the cluster

Pretty sure the change over was 73’ model @Living in the Past would know for sure

PO May have just had it because it was a pretty green light :meh:

I show the indicator light outside the instrument cluster changed from red to green 5/70 and ended 9/72 with the start of the 73 model. 73's instrument cluster was a crossover year. Turn signal indicators were in the face of the speedometer face but the cluster did not have the round electrical plug on the back.

The knob to the right of the cigarette lighter is a dome light switch. Not familiar with this diagram. Not for a US market FJ40. 73 was the only year with a radio opening and vent knob below the radio opening. Few these were not US market. A electric/vacuum operated 4WD (091-01 on the diagram. Almost all 72-74 FJ40s either had a Vader light and switch to the right of the glove box door. What you have is not stock on a FJ40.
I have the light to the right of the glove box, but the switch is to the right of cigarette lighter. You can see the light on this image as well as the green light just to the left of the hazard switch.

BE6B296D-120C-4067-9875-492CE1FF1C90.jpeg

The green light is in a spot that normally has a plug

You should have green light on either side of the dash cluster for directionals

A red brake light above your ignition

And below the right directional light should be a green 4wd indicator light

Edited green 4wd light (thanks John)

Last edited:
Checked Specter Off Road website. Shows the chrome plug in the picture. But lists it as a spot for a optional hand throttle going there. May have been included with the PTO winch option. Johnny seems to have covered pretty good on all the other holes.

I do believe the 4WD light would have a green lens not red. All I've were green and do not show a color change.

Being you have a V8 should have identified and tagged all the wires in the old harness and kept them for reference.

I have just found this thread that will be a big help for you 71-72 would be like your dash ... see post #30

Btw the toggle switch is not stock

Checked Specter Off Road website. Shows the chrome plug in the picture. But lists it as a spot for a optional hand throttle going there. May have been included with the PTO winch option. Johnny seems to have covered pretty good on all the other holes.

I do believe the 4WD light would have a green lens not red. All I've were green and do not show a color change.

Being you have a V8 should have identified and tagged all the wires in the old harness and kept them for reference.

this is a HOLY OEM stock dash indeed !

here are stock reference images , johnny and living in the past got 99.9% of the facts right , and i concur ...........

only thing the missed was the details facts about the Chrome Delete Plug , when and where it was used and why ?

and well ............

i don't know either , BUT

its been faithfully Reproduced in every detail .............

and that's a SOLID fact .........

Please PM me i will be happy to send anyone here in this thread contributing a Professional SAMPLE one with NO cost involved

especially living in the past John ....... :cool:

i want his take

again , i will gladly offer up samples , just say the word PM ...........

matt

We are replacing the turn signal as well and was noticing it in this photo. What is the rod that is above the steering column that looks like it has a switch on the end?

i am no Column Shift expert , @65swb45 will know for sure , but i think its the main 3 on tree shift mecinisim linkage ?

also @middlecalf Paul is a good source of this TECH i think as well too ........

& @thebigredrocker too ............ :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom