Need help badly, Glow plugs not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All, I’m a 17yr old with no clue on a lot of stuff but am trying to learn, I have a 1989 hj75 with a 2H and my car has had a lot of trouble starting, putting out big white clouds (assuming unburnt diesel) so I have concluded it’s the glow plugs.

After looking under the hood at the buzz bar and plugs, it looks like only one has been replaced and the rest are factory and rusted, I’ve looked online and it says that the 2h came out with I think 4 or 5 different glowplugs so im
Very confused.

If anyone has any idea on what I need or recommendations to find out answers tagt would be much appreciated.

I’ve included a picture of the o plugs and buzz bar and my compliance plate in case that helps

IMG_5035.jpeg

IMG_5037.jpeg

IMG_5036.jpeg

Hi! - for starters, here is a link to the Megazip site where you can (probably, possibly) buy nearly every single part for your exact truck.

This along with Amayama and Partsouq will usually have nearly anything you could need.

Looks like your glow plug part number is 19850-64031
You need a new buzz bar, part number 19871-68011

If they're unavailable there, take that part number and search for it elsewhere. It does sound like you need plugs and that connector bar is WAY past its prime. How has your other maintenance been? Fluids? Filters? Belts? Hoses?

That's for starters. How long have you had your Land Cruiser? Parts can seem a little intimidating at first but once you get used to the global system you'll be surprised to find that vast quantities of stuff is still available new, from Toyota dealerships, or from online sellers.

Are you in Helensburgh, Scotland? Check with your local Toyota dealer. They may not be able to find stuff for you at first glance, but if you do your research and give THEM the part number, then lots of times they'll see it and can order it. The nice thing about that is you save on shipping.

Hi! - for starters, here is a link to the Megazip site where you can (probably, possibly) buy nearly every single part for your exact truck.

This along with Amayama and Partsouq will usually have nearly anything you could need.

Looks like your glow plug part number is 19850-64031
You need a new buzz bar, part number 19871-68011

If they're unavailable there, take that part number and search for it elsewhere. It does sound like you need plugs and that connector bar is WAY past its prime. How has your other maintenance been? Fluids? Filters? Belts? Hoses?

That's for starters. How long have you had your Land Cruiser? Parts can seem a little intimidating at first but once you get used to the global system you'll be surprised to find that vast quantities of stuff is still available new, from Toyota dealerships, or from online sellers.

Are you in Helensburgh, Scotland? Check with your local Toyota dealer. They may not be able to find stuff for you at first glance, but if you do your research and give THEM the part number, then lots of times they'll see it and can order it. The nice thing about that is you save on shipping.
Thanks mate that’s really helpful, I’ve only had the car for 6mths so not really sure on its history before I bought it. And I’m in Australia!

Your vehicle has superglow.. in my experience a fault with the superglow system is more likely than actual failed plugs.

Prior to pulling the plugs I would clean up a small part of that Glow Rail and using a jumper lead apply 12V+ directly to the rail for 5 seconds and then immediately try starting it. This will determine if your superglow system has failed or if the plugs have truely failed.

Do not rush to pull the plugs because given the state of that glow plug rail its entirely possible that you may struggle to get the plugs out.

Your vehicle has superglow.. in my experience a fault with the superglow system is more likely than actual failed plugs.

Prior to pulling the plugs I would clean up a small part of that Glow Rail and using a jumper lead apply 12V+ directly to the rail for 5 seconds and then immediately try starting it. This will determine if your superglow system has failed or if the plugs have truely failed.

Do not rush to pull the plugs because given the state of that glow plug rail its entirely possible that you may struggle to get the plugs out.
Great idea mate I will try that this afternoon, and let you know how it goes

Except the exact thing you need that's discontinued for no valid reason... 🤣

But no, seriously, Megazip is a good resource...just BE CAREFUL when it comes to shipping. If the part can't fit in something the size of a shoebox you're very likely to get a note several days after your order, explaining that the dimensional weight is too much, and that your shipping rate will go up. I'm still not sure what a "dimensional weight" is, but it sounds more like a quantum problem than a FedEx problem.

Were it me, I would proactively hit that rail and just about anything else in reach with some penetrating oil of the highest grade; I've been through too many older rigs to not go ahead and use an entire can of it at the outset. You may not need to loosen many things right now, but it's coming...so make Future You's life a little easier.

Except the exact thing you need that's discontinued for no valid reason... 🤣

But no, seriously, Megazip is a good resource...just BE CAREFUL when it comes to shipping. If the part can't fit in something the size of a shoebox you're very likely to get a note several days after your order, explaining that the dimensional weight is too much, and that your shipping rate will go up. I'm still not sure what a "dimensional weight" is, but it sounds more like a quantum problem than a FedEx problem.

Were it me, I would proactively hit that rail and just about anything else in reach with some penetrating oil of the highest grade; I've been through too many older rigs to not go ahead and use an entire can of it at the outset. You may not need to loosen many things right now, but it's coming...so make Future You's life a little easier.
Yep, I’ve unleashed a whole can of yeld and wd40 on everything in the engine bay, tanks for the advice mate!

Test glow plugs. You can test them without removing, you do need to remove the buzz bar. Check for continuity between top of plug and engine. I saw there was someone I believe In Australia that is making new super glow relay. If this is out just install a “Wilson switch”, google it.

Hey everyone, I replaced the glowplugs originally with 6v glowplugs then realized that they were 1984-88 2h so then replaced them with 11v which the factory glowplugs I pulled out were also 11v. However it’s still not glowing enough or at all I’m not sure. I tested the buz bar the other day and got a reading of 6v which is why I originally bought 6v plugs, but I believe it’s not getting enough voltage to the plugs, anybody have any idea on why this would be?

If the bus bar is only getting 6v it would be ok to use your 6v glow plugs. If you want to use the 12v glow plugs
you will need to rig up a manually activated 12v relay to deliver 12v directly to the glow plug bus bar. I Had to do this on my lj78 because the glow plugs would not stay on long enough To get a clean cold start and warm up.

I too think this might not necessarily be a glow plug issue. When I first got my KZJ78, I had worsening white smoke and hard start issues. I live in the land of endless summer so a glow system is really superfluous. Usually the truck started easier after the initial start in the morning. I thought it must have been the glow plugs so I did a series of tests first to rule out the supply side of the glowing process first. Because everything checked out, I went ahead and ordered a set of new old stock of OEM plugs. Installed them per the good book, and it was a thoroughly clean job I may add, my hard start and smoke became worse afterwards.

It turned out that I had minor air leaks into the fuel system (at the bottom of the fuel filter and also post filter-pre injection pump) that was the cause of my troubles. Replacing the draining assembly near water sensor portion of the bottom part of the fuel filter and all the associated rubber fuel lines post firewall (bulkhead) literally ended the white smoke and hard start, I didn't need the new plugs but kept them in the engine as a good preventative maintenance measure.

Consider replacing at least the o rings in your fuel filter assembly and the fuel line from filter to injection pump and see if that fixes your problems, cheaper than the glow plugs at any rate.

Cheers!

I should back up a bit and not advise you to use the 6v glow plugs. The way these glow systems usually work is
when you first turn the key to the run position the first glow plug relay will send 12v to the plugs for about 15 seconds. You will hear a relay click and a second relay will take over sending 6v to the plugs via a knock down resistor. The time the 6v relay is on depends on how low the outside air temp Is.
That being said if your glow plugs are doing as they should and you are still getting rough smoky cold starts the
next no parts thing to try would be to turn down your cold idle setting a bit. Over fueling a cold diesel will make it start rough and smoky.

Last edited:
Disconnect the buss bar, and carefully remove.
A quick test of glow plugs is a test light connected to the + post and the probe to the threaded post of your individual plugs. If plugs are faulty they will not light up the test light. Good idea to change them all if one test fails.
You can also try powering up the plugs via the disconnected Buss bar by applying + power for a few seconds and then trying to start. This would tell you that the issue is upstream.
Another trick is to unplug the temperature sensor from the block. Note: there is a gauge sensor and a sensor for the glow system.
This removes another potential issue.
I do this to my BJ74 because the glow system is wonky if temperature is around the freezing mark. I plug it back in during summer months.
Lastly as mentioned above install a Wilson switch.

Disconnect the buss bar, and carefully remove.
A quick test of glow plugs is a test light connected to the + post and the probe to the threaded post of your individual plugs. If plugs are faulty they will not light up the test light. Good idea to change them all if one test fails.
You can also try powering up the plugs via the disconnected Buss bar by applying + power for a few seconds and then trying to start. This would tell you that the issue is upstream.
Another trick is to unplug the temperature sensor from the block. Note: there is a gauge sensor and a sensor for the glow system.
This removes another potential issue.
I do this to my BJ74 because the glow system is wonky if temperature is around the freezing mark. I plug it back in during summer months.
Lastly as mentioned above install a Wilson switch.
Yep, I put 12v directly into the bar and it started beautifully. If my problems upstream what are the possibilities?

I should back up a bit and not advise you to use the 6v glow plugs. The way these glow systems usually work is
when you first turn the key to the run position the first glow plug relay will send 12v to the plugs for about 15 seconds. You will hear a relay click and a second relay will take over sending 6v to the plugs via a knock down resistor. The time the 6v relay is on depends on how low the outside air temp Is.
That being said if your glow plugs are doing as they should and you are still getting rough smoky cold starts the
next no parts thing to try would be to turn down your cold idle setting a bit. Over fueling a cold diesel will make it start rough and smoky.
I’m thinking it’s definitely something in the glow system cause it has always started fine until a few weeks ago

Instead of wasting your time trying to figure out why your ecm isn't turning on your glow plugs Just wire in a switch and relay and have glow plugs when you want them. while your at it, you can run a wire from your glow plug bus bar to your glow plug light. This will remind you that your glow plugs are turned on.

Pull the engine temperature sensor.
Not the gauge sensor.
If this helps then great. If not install a switch as stated anove, ideally a momentary switch. This is a switch thay you have to depress to engage, and drops power once released.

does your truck have a super glow system or not?

If your truck has a super glow system, glow plugs should be about half of the truck's voltage. A 12V truck would have 6V glow plugs. In the Superglow system there are two paths for voltage to reach the glow plugs. Each path is controlled by a relay. The first relay will put the full 12volts on the glow plugs but only for a few seconds. Then a second relay will put voltage through a resistor and drop the voltage down to 6V. This secondary glow lasts longer based on coolant temp. If your truck came with 6V glow plugs, and you are seeing 6V on the bar, I would think that you have the Superglow system and the secondary glow is working. You should take a voltage reading while someone puts the key in the truck and starts to run the glow system. You should see 12v for a few seconds before it kicks down to 6V. If you never see the full 12V, I would look at that relay. If you are getting 12V and then it drops to 6V, replace the glow plugs with new 6V plugs.

There is a master glow system thread on mud that has all the part number for all the different combos of glow systems and voltages, but I can't find it right now. It was helpful to me last year while I was troubleshooting my glow system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom