75 series super glow system won't turn off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am scratching my head. By incident I found out the glow plugs won't turn off and killed my alternator. Once replaced I felt the wire to the battery were hot!

The car is 1985 HJ75 Troopy with 2H motor.

Anyone had similar experience? I am just starting to read about the system including the great summary below.

It seems like a very complicated system and now I am thinking to just put a relay and manual push button.

Most of the problem I read online were glow plugs not working

Check the relays. On my 24V BJ74 these are located on left side of engine bay, forward of the batteries. They have a plastic cover that slips on and off.

You could disconnect the input power at the relays and stop the madness.
Maybe wrap the disconnected leads with electrical tap.

I had something similar on my 3B, and found a broken wire. There is a temp sensor in the system, so the glow thought the engine was dead cold still. It nuked my glow plugs, and I had to get new ones.

On my 74, the temp sensor threads into the thermostat housing, or right next to it.
Looks very much like the coolant temp sender and is near it.
In the parts catalog I believe mine is listed as an oil temp sensor, but it is actually for the glow system.

I used to have a green plug that attached to the glow system temp sensor.
I broke it and now have a red one.
1706822842193.png

pre heater sensor (11).JPG

Check the relays. On my 24V BJ74 these are located on left side of engine bay, forward of the batteries. They have a plastic cover that slips on and off.

You could disconnect the input power at the relays and stop the madness.
Maybe wrap the disconnected leads with electrical tap.
Thank you

I went wilson switch and removed superglow, personally prefer it and change my glow count pending on weather and engine temp. It is simpler, more old school. Changed to 11.5v glows or too easy to fry the 6v, so now I count to 20 in winter cold starts, holding down the button.
More than likely a relay, electricals don't last forever. Have to check and love every little connection after rattling around for many years. Copper corrodes. There is a good young local fella making new superglows with an inbuilt wilson switch option.www.reviveyourrig.com

Two or three years ago I was setting out on a month-long trip to the Rockies.
As I was pulling out I noticed the dash voltmeter telling me there was a major drain on the charging system.
I disconnected the glow relays and drove away.

Two or three years ago I was setting out on a month-long trip to the Rockies.
As I was pulling out I noticed the dash voltmeter telling me there was a major drain on the charging system.
I disconnected the glow relays and drove away.
yeah, once ago, many years, in a bj40, b engine, my alt and reg fried, battery died, remote. So had to roll start, no battery needed, daytime driving, only cut off engine on a hill, had plenty of fuel with long range tanks. Great thing about old diesels. I liked the manual glow on the dash with it's little coil, if that was hot your glows were hot.

I noticed that the indicator light on the dashboard actually still work.

I simply use it to power a relay and energise the glowplugs from battery.

Works very welll!! Sure I don't have the "after glow" thing but I have no problems here (coldest in winter here is 0c)

Simples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom