Need decision making help - 85 Straight Axle 22r 4x4 vs 75 series Land Cruiser Pickup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

If you could afford a Toyota 1985 straight axle, 22r 4x4, reg cab (lifted currently or will be lifted)
and can afford a beat up (no serious rust) 75 series diesel pickup truck Land Cruiser (3b or 3BT), which one would you go for?

I have this feeling if I ask Land cruiser owners they would go with the 75 series so I would love to hear from you mini truck owners.

In terms of engines, I think the 22r gas and 3b diesel have similar stock horse power but maybe the Land Cruiser is heavier (but has more low end torque).

22r parts might be easier to find, but the land cruiser has just as much or a little more cool factor.

Diesel engines cost more to maintain through it's life time but I love the feeling I could one day use biodiesel or straight vegetable oil (maybe with a bit of gas and or kerosene).

I believe the Land Cruiser is 30 cm taller and longer (including a 30cm longer wheel base - but I wont' be doing serious off roading or any rock crawling at all - at least for now).

Thanks for reading all of this (my train of thoughts) and thank you in advance for any opinons, advice or wisdom sharing.

Sincerely,
kevinh

Having a Toyota 1985 straight axle, 22r 4x4, reg cab, I’d go for the LC75.

Having a Toyota 1985 straight axle, 22r 4x4, reg cab, I’d go for the LC75.

Hello PAToyota,
Thank you so much for your reply!

Could you give me some experiences why you think so?

Thanks again :)
Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
Kevinh

85 trucks are not too hard to find really. They are cool, and sought after, but 75's are near non-existent in the states.... So it's hard to take the emotion out of it. My knee jerk reaction is "Why would you even consider the 85????" But side by side...... I think I would lean a little towards the 75. Both are going to be old, neither is going to get great gas mileage, but the 75 will stand up to a bit more abuse if you're really working it. :cheers:

Could you give me some experiences why you think so?

As 2ndGen says, any of the 70-series is hard to come by in the States. If they were more common, I’d have one over my pickup due to the beefier construction.

Hey guys, the Land Cruiser I was looking at is pretty rusty, floor wells gone. And seller isn't sending more photos.

Which would you recommend then, Tacoma or 1985 toyota pickup 22r, straight axle.
I found a Toyota pickup truck (hilux) with winch, front and rear lockers, lift, exoskeleton bumper, sliders etc...
Looks really good, I'm seriously considering it, if I can get it lowered before I try to import into Canada.
The RIV.ca says lifted vehicles will not pass inspection for importation into Canada :(
I emailed them and they contradicted their website, and some people are saying it will get in....
I don't want to risk it and have the truck stopped at border.

My new ih8mud friend says go with the 2 door, manual, reg cab Tacoma.

I see it has around 40-50 more horsepower, and not a carburated engine.
Honestly, I don't like the look :(

Thanks again for your advice and wisdom sharing!

Happy Holidays!
Cheers,
Kevin

Having owned both a 1985, and a Tacoma ... I would take the Tacoma. I mean, I love my 4Runner. But as Jerod said, the Taco is a nicer, newer truck.

Hey,

Thanks for your replies!

Could you maybe say how they are more refined and nicer?

I really like the simplicity of the 85 22r.

Will I even be able to get to 60ish mph max (100km/h max) with a winch, the other accessories, a bed full of camping gear?
I will don't care how long it takes to get to high way speeds (acceleration), but the top speed needs to make it.

I mean, in all of Canada right now there is only 1 Tacoma 2 door, single cab for sale and it's got serious frame rust.
So I would be shipping from the USA either way.

Turboing a 22r is a bad idea? It defeats the 22r reliability quality?

Thanks so much guys! I'm looking to treat myself out as I've had some nasty health problems for a while now.
So thank you again for your replies/time :)

Cheers,
KevinH

I have a 1980 truck with a 22R, 3" lift and 33" tires. It goes 70-80 miles per hour. Not on long hill climbs though. It is easy to work on. I don't know how fast it can go as the spedo only goes up to 85.

The question is How do you plan to use it? Fire roads and driving in the snow (light 4wheeling essentially), go with the newer Tacoma.

If you're going to wheel hard, play in rocks, go to the middle of nowhere I would vote for the 85.

Why give up the creature comforts of you aren't wheeling hard?

I have a 22re (for almost 30 years). I've historically owned a 22r. I've historically owned a 3rz. I would say the 22re and the 3rz are equally easy to work on. The 22r will have more junk on the engine, mostly emissions stuff. Way more complicated. I would take an efi engine over a carb any day.

As just said, if you are looking for a rock crawler, get the 85. If you are looking for a camping truck that can handle rough roads, get the Tacoma. The Taco will be way more comfortable on the road, and off-road.

My 82 Hilux short bed, 22r, 33" tires with factory 4.10 gearing could barely do highway speeds. Toss in a hill, or some elevation, and it couldn't get out of it's own way. My 22re 4Runner, 33" tires, 4.56 gears, can do 70 if the road is flat, but not 80. Toss in a hill, or a head wind ... and it's 3rd gear to do 55.

The question is How do you plan to use it?

This… Answers are totally going to depend on your specific end use - anything from daily driver to weekend warrior to designated hard core trail rig.

Like mentioned. Depends on use. If youre planning to wheel hard either is a good platform to build. But if I was to build a taco I'd probably opt for a 2wd as its frame has more room for up travel, but I'm stingy and would rather have power of 3rz vrs 2rz. The 85 has the solid axle but push pull steering needs to go. Front axle upgrades, new suspension. beef up front hanger. Either would need dual cases.

I like the looks of the 2nd gen trucks though well and 1st gen 4rnr obviously.

I'm a little addicted to the offroad thing

I have a 1980 truck with a 22R, 3" lift and 33" tires. It goes 70-80 miles per hour. Not on long hill climbs though. It is easy to work on. I don't know how fast it can go as the spedo only goes up to 85.

Oh wow, Thanks Travis! That is really good to know!

The question is How do you plan to use it? Fire roads and driving in the snow (light 4wheeling essentially), go with the newer Tacoma.

If you're going to wheel hard, play in rocks, go to the middle of nowhere I would vote for the 85.

Why give up the creature comforts of you aren't wheeling hard?

Hey ReformedJeeper, I as thinking something similar.

Tacoma I don't mind driving in Canadian salty roads in the winter.

But I have a Dodge Caravan for my daily needs so I don't mind having a spring/summer/fall truck for light trails and going to my uncles cottage that has fire roads that can be really muddy early in the cottaging season.

I have a 22re (for almost 30 years). I've historically owned a 22r. I've historically owned a 3rz. I would say the 22re and the 3rz are equally easy to work on. The 22r will have more junk on the engine, mostly emissions stuff. Way more complicated. I would take an efi engine over a carb any day.

As just said, if you are looking for a rock crawler, get the 85. If you are looking for a camping truck that can handle rough roads, get the Tacoma. The Taco will be way more comfortable on the road, and off-road.

My 82 Hilux short bed, 22r, 33" tires with factory 4.10 gearing could barely do highway speeds. Toss in a hill, or some elevation, and it couldn't get out of it's own way. My 22re 4Runner, 33" tires, 4.56 gears, can do 70 if the road is flat, but not 80. Toss in a hill, or a head wind ... and it's 3rd gear to do 55.

Hmm... Thanks Pappy, something to think about.
I don't know why I set my mind on a 22r besides the simplicity and maybe easier for a novice to learn to work on.
I've cleaned and worked on mopeds so I don't know anything about fuel injection.
I guess I like the mechanical artistic beauty to simple gas engines.

Uh ohh...those numbers aren't encouraging for the 22r route.
The route to my uncle's cottage is 2 and a quarter hours using highway and secondary highways.
If I just take 80km/h (50mph) roads it would take 45 minutes longer.
I could live with that.

Turboing is bad right? lol

How about nitrous hahah just kidding :p

This… Answers are totally going to depend on your specific end use - anything from daily driver to weekend warrior to designated hard core trail rig.

Hey PAToyota, I think it would be for spring/summer/fall. Driving around Toronto Canada looking kewl and going to the family cottage.
But maybe I would get into trail riding, never done it.... just the Cottage back roads that go from gravel 1 lane per direction to single lane dirty windy roads (fire routes).

----

Thanks again guys/gals for your time and care!
Cheers,
Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I've had a 1998 Toyota 4Runner (same platform as Tacoma just an SUV) with the 3.4L 5VZ-FE and a 5 speed as well as a 1980 Toyota Pickup.

They both have their benefits. A Tacoma would make for a pretty comfortable driver and they perform reasonably well offroad. If you can find yourself in one that's TRUE 4x4 (not that prerunner s***) with a rear e-locker and the V6 for a reasonable price, there's no reason to pick anything else. They're reliable, relatively easy to work on and pretty capable. If you're only going to drive on backroads that are a little bumpy, I think that would be the perfect fit for you and you'll get years of use out of it. As everyone noted above they did have a recall for frame rust so be sure to check that.

The 1985 is a pretty solid bet though, given as it's the last year for EFI and the straight axle. The 22RE is bar-none one of the most reliable motors ever made and does fine for offroading and daily commuting. Having the solid axle will definitely come in handy off-road if you ever decide to get a little ballsy and you'll never have to deal with ripping CV boots, plus the straight axle Toyotas tend to hold their value pretty well too (at least here in the states). Just keep in mind that it is a 33 year old truck and will need a good amount of TLC and plenty of hours underneath it so you need to be ready/willing to put some work into it. As stated previously the 22RE is a killer motor but it is not very powerful, which may leave something to be desired when taking it on the highway.

Personally if I were you I'd go with the 85. It gives you a chance to get familiar with the truck and building them is relatively cheap. I have a feeling you're probably going to get more adventurous with your wheeling and it would be a better platform if you decide to get crazy. Plus if you ding it or scratch it you won't be as upset and you can really get a chance to learn the 4x ropes.

And hey, you can always go out and get a Tacoma, they're a dime a dozen. Straight axle Yota's are not.

Either way, go with what your gut tells you. Just make sure you know what you're getting into!

Good luck with your decision, and keep all of us updated!

:cheers:

And by the way - for some reason I thought the one you we're looking at had the 22RE. The 22R is still a solid motor but it would be good if you knew a thing or two about carburetors because I'm sure you'll be rebuilding it in your near future!

Thanks yotadude520!

I think I'm going a different route.... if I can't get a 22r up to highway speeds and a bit more I don't want to settle for a tacoma (based on looks/style).

And that bj75 pickup is a little too rusty for me.

Thanks again tho!
Cheers,
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom