Need advice on a '98 LX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I may have to trade my beloved '93 for something with fewer miles on it for, ah, relationship reasons. I found this:

Lexus LX 470

I'm completely new to the 100 series, so I'd like some advice particular to this vehicle. I've read all the threads here and on Slee on general 100 info, but it looks like the owner replaced the original variable height suspension on it with OEM equipment. He says it's never been off road, so I'm wondering if the early version of that system was prone to failure. On paper, the rest looks good, mileage, price. Does anyone else see any red flags based on the ad?

It looks to me like the 100s don't have as many minefields as the 80s, but is there anything I should be keeping my eye out for? Timing belt and starter motor keeps coming up in other threads, and this one has the 2 pinion front dif which I'll have to swap out. Do I just bite the bullet and buy the ARB lockers front and rear when I do that?

No mention of rust, I'd ask for photos.

Who knows what lurks beneath those hideous seat covers. I'd ask.

"Can tow a house" statement is a little exaggerated. 100s not known as being a go to tow vehicle.

Its unclear what he did to AHC system but the reservoir is still there. Maybe he replaced AHC parts.

All in all low miles but still a 20 year old vehicle, I'd budget money on top of purchase price for baseline maintenance immediately.

No mention of rust, I'd ask for photos.

Who knows what lurks beneath those hideous seat covers. I'd ask.

"Can tow a house" statement is a little exaggerated. 100s not known as being a go to tow vehicle.

Its unclear what he did to AHC system but the reservoir is still there. Maybe he replaced AHC parts.

All in all low miles but still a 20 year old vehicle, I'd budget money on top of purchase price for baseline maintenance immediately.

He says he had the AHC replaced soup to nuts with OEM gear, "shocks, pumps, ballasts, everything." I'm puzzled as to why it needed replacing, because he says it's never been off road.

Create an account as a Lexus owner and enter the Vin, it'll provide the Lexus history and give you an idea of where the truck has been, hopefully away from rust country.
Lexus Owners Site | Lexus Drivers

The truck is twenty years old, the ahc may have just been at the end of it's like, or the person fixing it replaced more than what was really necessary.

Seems a bit overpriced for a '98, but the mileage is very low. This is a total guess, but based upon the ad the suspension was replaced with an OME (Old Man Emu) suspension and not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Done well, that could be a good thing. Of course, if you've already talked to him and he was specific about replacing the AHC pumps, etc., with new OEM pumps, etc., then I might be wrong. Are you sure he didn't mean he replaced all that stuff with a standard spring-and-shock OME suspension?

Seems a bit overpriced for a '98, but the mileage is very low. This is a total guess, but based upon the ad the suspension was replaced with an OME (Old Man Emu) suspension and not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Done well, that could be a good thing. Of course, if you've already talked to him and he was specific about replacing the AHC pumps, etc., with new OEM pumps, etc., then I might be wrong. Are you sure he didn't mean he replaced all that stuff with a standard spring-and-shock OME suspension?

He said "factory original. Expensive as all heck, but my tech advised against anything else."

Yeah, I've been thinking about the price. Most of the 100s I've seen around are in the $12-14K range with 170-190K miles, mostly '03-'06 years. The price seems fair given the low miles. I'm looking at an '05 shortly with 190K for $14K, mostly to educate myself.

Looks pretty clean all in all. Definitely low mileage.

Sounds to me like he had most (if not all) of the OEM (factory) AHC suspension replaced. That would indeed be incredibly expensive and unnecessary to replace.

Timing belt, water pump, starter, new tires, etc.... sounds like its good to go (get in and drive) if true. Change out the heater Tees.

Possibly some slight paint fading on the hood and roof (hard to tell from the pics). I'd want to see what is under the seat covers.

If you don't plan to off-road it (hard) there is nothing wrong with the two pinion diff. From what I've read here in the past...front diffs breaking are about 50/50 (ring gear or spider gear). Ring gear breakage has nothing to do with the diff being two pinion. And quite a few of those instances were someone pulling something in reverse. Anyway, I wouldn't be afraid of that feature if you thrash it off-road.

I saw that ad. I look on Abq and Santa Fe craigslist daily. That looks like a nice LX. I will look on craigslist daily until I find the deal I like. I paid 4000 for my 98 from a kid that didnt want his moms grocery getter. About a month ago I picked up a GX470 with 170000 miles for 6000.

I bought my 98 LX last March for $11k. It had 150k on the odometer and had a record of a TB/WP change in the previous 10k. Zero rust, working AHC and zero tears in any of the leather. It was very well maintained with all records intact.

I don't think the price that they are asking is unreasonable given that a bunch of big ticket items were already taken care of, but I'd want undercarriage photos and offer $11k.

As another data point, I paid $9k for a '98 LC. Very clean interior and exterior, no rust, everything works, and all big ticket maintenance items done.

Roger that on the undercarriage. I crawled underneath another one yesterday and found myself staring at an axle with a leaky boot. No rust, but someone else can rebuild that off the bat. Been there done that with my 80.

Thanks for the perspective everyone. I’ll give it a look see later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom