Necessary Tools? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Very simple question really. Is there a thread already listing many or all of the necessary tools to work on and maintain your FJ40s? I will be most likely getting my first FJ40 in the next month or so and would possibly like to start accumulating some necessary tools before I even get the cruiser. I have no other experience working on vehicles so it will be a nice project and start to a hobby. I look forward to learning.

Looking for the most common tools that I will absolutely need to work on it. Not necessarily tools for a crazy mod or building a roll cage or something like that, but tools for the actual work on the vehicle.

Thanks so much, I've enjoyed reading for about 2 years on your forum now. Pardon the amateur question, I'm sure there will be MANY more to come.

Matt S

I don't know if i've seen a thread like that but I use the crap out of my 3" grinder.
I use drills, chopshow, bench grinder, breaker bar, impact driver, sledge hammer and welder. Probably depends on if your getting a fixer upper.

What is the condition of this cruiser? Metric impact sockets up to like 22mm will come in hand too. 10mm wrench is used often. I bought a fancy racheting box wrench in 10mm because it's so common.

get out your wallet

i still swear i dont have the right tools

i think the one tool i have the most fun with is the welder. And when you are starting to learn with it what you lack in quality you can try and make up with quantity, then try and grind it down to where it looks like you know what you are doing. just dont start welding on important or structural components till you have a bit of confidence.
but seriously, its not too hard once you get the hang of it.

other than that, 8,10,12,14,17,19.....mm sockets in deep and shallow and a good set of wrenches, plus a big hammer.

The biggest tool set you can find, if you don't have the basic sockets, wrenches, and whatnot. If you have those, there aren't too many specialty tools required to work on a stock truck. I'm sure there's a wheel bearing socket you'll need, not sure what size the 40 uses. A few others- your best bet would be a similar thread in the 40 section, if you haven't already posted (or searched) there.

-Spike

If you are new at this, you need a basic set of good hand tools.

It is tough to beat a "mechanics" starter set from sears. Watch for a sale and you'll get a bunch of useful tools for roughly $300. Remember your average 40 is bastardized and will have all kinds and sizes of fasteners, standard SAE included.

If I had to buy, I'd start here:

1/2 drive sockets, 6 point, Metric and standard
3/8 drive sockets 6 point, standard and metric
1/4 drive small metric set 6 point.

Complete set of standard and metric gear wrenches-stubbies are nice too

10, 12 14, 17, 19, Combination wrenches, 6 point of course-2 of each

1/2, 3/8, 1/4 Ratchets with extensions of multiple lengths

Breaker bar

Vice Grips

Good screwdrivers, multiple sizes

Hand impact driver-the kind you hit with a hammer-very useful

Ball peen hammer, roughly 20 oz

Couple of pry bars

Jack stands, at least 4, the bigger the better

"T" wrench for lug nuts

Fun stuff like air tools and welders comes much later.

If going from scratch I would second a good mechanics set from craftsmen.

Since your from the cold salty north (like here) many cans of a good nut buster /PB blaster etc . With that, goggles, latex (or the blue type) gloves and a set of coveralls (took me a while to get :hmm: that washing just 4 inches of arms and zipping off the suit and gloves to make a parts run or to finish for the day was smart )
The other thing is "dont" make it your only form of trans. since nothing sucks more then learning :wrench:as you go on a DD and have a deadline everything

good luck on your project and ask ?s if needed, most of us have broken it before :hillbilly:

Along with what has been listed I'll add a good rolling floor jack and jack stands.

wow, guess I have a good place to start o_O All the responses are exactly what I was looking for. A nice base and starter set really. The 40 I have found is in 100% stock condition and has 51k miles on it. No rust, everything works nicely. Truly the old man and woman with the stock 40 they used to pick berries in the summertime and thats it. All maintenance was done regularly. Hopefully I will have a happy post in the 40 section with tons of pictures after I get it =)

Thanks again for all your suggestions, gives me a great place to start picking things up.

Matt S

This is a good starter kit.

11- 10mm wrenches
17 - 12mm wrenches
15 - 14 mm wrenches
26 - phillips screw drives
1 - sloted (Standard) screw driver
1 - 3lb. sledge
1- mini beer fridge.
1 - non china made 4 1/2 inch angle grinder

Dynosoar:zilla:

Here's a decent set of Craftsman tools for only $150 right now.

I would buy this and a decent set of screw drivers, flat head and philips. And you should be set for basic maintenance.

I would also start looking for a high quality 54mm socket. you will need this to service your front end. there are several designs out there but many of them IMO are super cheap. The one I found is essentally a 3/16" thick tube that has been pressed over a die that is 54mm. then a peice of steel was welded to one end with a 1/2" square hole cut into it for a socket wrench. It's by far the best and most heavy duty one I have found.

The list of tools you will "need" never ends though. Just ask my wife. ;)

Wow, thanks Dyno, usmcruiser and koop. I have looked at all those suggestions and seems like all would be great. Especially that mechanic set that is 100 off the normal price. $150 seems not too bad.

Thanks again so far for all suggestions,

Matt S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom